(I play only at home/occasionally with a friend who plays an acoustic/no drums)

Would I see an improvement in tone if move on from a Microcube to a larger say the 40/80W CubeXL or a Vypyr Tube 60?

If there are any improvements tone wise from going BIG!, would changing the pickups in my Ibanez S refine the tone even further? If so, which pickups would you recommend? I'm after that 80s/90s Bon Jovi (New Jersey/Keep the Faith/ These Days) sound.

As for the budget, I don't have a set one but I'd be comfortable at spending maybe $400-500 new?
better amp will always improve your sound. new pickups into a modeller will make far less difference. modellers tend to just see a signal and model it to the setting it's in. i have a couple of strats with very diffeent pups but when i use my POD to record they both sound very similar through whatever settings i use. not toally the same but no wheres near as diffeent as they do through my tube amp.
Well i can't recommend a good set of pickups, I'm not a huge fan of 80's music, however i can tell you that a Vox amplifier would be great and fit your budget. They're relatively inexpensive for what you get and they give you tons of bang for your buck.

Good luck and have fun playing,
John
Well, I've played through the Micro Cube a good few times, and I own an 80XL and have played a 40XL, and I'd say the XLs are definitely an improvement soundwise(the smaller Cubes are a little fuzzy/tinny sounding compared to their larger counterparts).

I can't speak for the Vypyr, I've played half a dozen Peaveys and couldn't get a tone I was truly happy with out of any of them, but they're generally well-liked here and I know some proud Peavey amp(and guitar, I must say the Rotor EXP's a nice-sounding guitar) owners, so I say go try one.

As for pickups, I did notice a rather large difference when I swapped my Dean's stock Dean Zebra buckers for a DiMarzio Super Distortion/PAF Pro combo(much tighter, thicker sound in the bridge, and the neck wasn't as noticeable with gain but it was a little more articulate and gave MUCH better cleans). For 80s hard rock/hair metal? I'd go with a DiMarzio Super Distortion or a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, probably. Richie Sambora's signature Kramer had Duncan JBs in the bridge and middle, and a JN in the neck, so if you want his tone I'd check those out.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
in any scenario, the amp is going to compose most of your tone while your pickups take care of other preferences like brightness, darkness, output, and dynamics.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
in any scenario, the amp is going to compose most of your tone while your pickups take care of other preferences like brightness, darkness, output, and dynamics.

/discussion. The amp is the meat and potatoes, the pickups are the salt and pepper.

As for pickups, the popular SD JB/59 set will pretty much cover anything from the 80's/90's really well.

As far as modelers go, they are no exception to the "you get what you pay for" rule. A lot of people put down modelers because they "don't allow your guitar to show though", but I can tell you with a straight face that I can absolutely hear the differences between all of my guitars through my Vypyr Tube. And they all have high output humbuckers, it's not even as drastic a difference of single coil vs humbucker.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 11, 2011,
Thanks guys for your advices.
I think I got it.
Now it's just a matter of finding the time to try them out.
line 6 flextone is a great start. im selling one pm me if ur at all ur fancies are tickled.

(great salesmen aint i?)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED