Hey guitar guys! My friend ( http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Rowrena+Chan/ ) is looking to get an electric for Christmas and she's not sure what kind of amp/pedal to get.

She's looking for a Demi Lovato or Paramore or Tokyo Hotel type sound (pop rock to punk)

Any links to products and explanations to how it sounds would be great!

Thanks!
look at a orange combo amp and maybe a electro harmonix metal muff, that combination is pretty good and both companies make reliable gear that will last.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by FearMyLightning
Tell her to get an Orange Dark Terror.
Are you smoking something? The girl he's referring to is 15 years old according to her profile, and has never owned an electric in her life, and your suggesting an Orange Dark Terror?

Realistically speaking, I'd suggest something along the lines of either a Fender Mustang or Vox VT. An all tube amp is far too much for her age and experience with the instrument.
Quote by greeny23
Marshall MG 100HDFX.
She's asking for a REAL amp, not an oversized children's toy.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by greeny23
Marshall MG 100HDFX.

It has crushing overdrive.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Ian_the_fox
She's asking for a REAL amp, not an oversized children's toy.

The MG series are good amps. People just take them out of context and compare them to amps several times their price. It's meant to be a Marshall sounding practice/ starter amp, not a high quality performing/ recording amp. You guys need to stop taking it as such. It is designed to be an easy to use, Marshall sounding amp primarily for bedroom use. I think it does that very well. They are very reliable and I personally think they sound pretty good for the price.

A Marshall MG would suit just fine.
^Are you crazy? They're overpriced, VERY poorly constructed, sound NOTHING like a real Marshall, and you can get a SHITLOAD better amp for the same price.

Peavey 6505+ combo (not for the TS though)
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Blackstar HT-20
Jet City 20w combo

All REAL tube amps for the same price as a piece-of-shit toy made for 12 year olds who like to pretend they're rockstars. People don't say it's bad because of amps 3x the price being better, they say it's bad because it truly is FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Marshall MG "Good for the price" my ass.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
^Are you crazy? They're overpriced, VERY poorly constructed, sound NOTHING like a real Marshall, and you can get a SHITLOAD better amp for the same price.

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Blackstar HT-20
Jet City 20w combo

All REAL tube amps for the same price as a piece-of-shit toy made for 12 year olds who like to pretend they're rockstars. People don't say it's bad because of amps 3x the price being better, they say it's bad because it truly is FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Maybe in your experience.

Of course they're nothing like a real Marshall. You gotta spend £700+ to get a half decent Marshall sound. You're not going to get a true Marshall sound on that price. But for the price, I believe they sound and play fair. The one I started with, as well as the school's one's when I was in school lasted just fine. It was exactly what I needed and tied me over until I felt like I needed to upgrade. I believe that particular amp she mentioned would be a bad choice. It was far too loud just for a practice amp. Better off with a 15 - 20 watts solid state amp. She's a 15 year old girl who is just starting. She does not need a 20 watt tube amp for bedroom use. That is far too loud.

If you don't like my opinion, there is no need to act like a child who has just learnt to swear. It makes you come across as stupid.

Like I said TS, I think you should at least try the amp to see what you think. Just because others don't like them, doesn't mean you won't. I thought they were just fine. Like this guy said, they're not the greatest amp in the world, but you're better off spending around £100 or so on a small solid state practice amp just to see if you like it. After a year, or even a few months of playing, if you're sure you want to stick at it, then upgrade to a small tube amp or something.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Maybe in your experience.
Ask about everyone else who posts in this forum and GG&A what they think about the MG. Not just in my experience, bud.

Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Like I said TS, I think you should at least try the amp to see what you think. Just because others don't like them, doesn't mean you won't. I thought they were just fine. Like this guy said, they're not the greatest amp in the world, but you're better off spending around £100 or so on a small solid state practice amp just to see if you like it. After a year, or even a few months of playing, if you're sure you want to stick at it, then upgrade to a small tube amp or something.
You don't understand what I'm saying. For the price of the MG100hdfx combo that you recommended, which is a cheaply made shit solid state, you CAN get a 20w all tube combo for the SAME EXACT price, so why bother with it?

If you are going to get a small solid state or digital modeling combo, you might as well go with a Vox VT, Fender Mustang, Peavey Vypyr, or hell, even the Fender Frontman over the MG, and save a shitload of cash. The MG is an oversized practice amp with the Marshall logo stamped on it. You say it "sounds decent for the price" when in actuality, it doesn't. Play any of those amps that I just mentioned in this paragraph and see what I mean. I think just about all of them are equally priced if not less than the MG and sound FAR superior.

Oh, and also:

Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
She does not need a 20 watt tube amp for bedroom use. That is far too loud.
Bull. Shit.

I can run my 100w all-tube head going into a 4x12 cab IN MY BEDROOM at BEDROOM LEVELS, and I can get a GREAT sound out of it. NO amp is "too loud", ESPECIALLY 20w. Volume knobs exist for a reason.

Now while I did advise against the TS spending money on an all tube amp, if she's going to spend the same amount of money on a shitty solid-state toy that she could use to buy an all tube amp, she might as well either buy the all tube amp OR get the SAME QUALITY for FAR less.

The MG is an absolute waste of money considering on what you can get for the same price and cheaper.

For the TS's friend I think the Vox VT40+ would suit best.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Blackstar HT-20
Jet City 20w combo

dumbest guy on this website.
mojostompboxes.com
How much budget is she planning to spend?
Based on what I can see, for the amplifier, I'd recommend a Roland Cube 30, Fender Mustang or a Line 6 Spider IV 30 amplifier. They are amazing amplifiers with on-board distortion models. If she is just going to be starting off with punk rock and stuff, then a beginner distortion pedal would help her out.
If she is going to just stay in punk rock, then a BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion Combi, a BOSS MD-2 Mega Distortion or a BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion would help. If she is going to switch between genres for most of the time, then a multi-effect pedal would help. In this case, either a ZOOM G2 or a BOSS ME-70 would help out most.
Hope this helps,
parhelia_0000
If she's just learning guitar, get her something that's moderately priced and FLEXIBLE. If she's just starting out, why on earth would you want to pigeonhole her into a genre right away?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'll second (or 3rd, 4th etc) the low wattage modelling amp. If all the person needs is something for the bedroom for & is just getting into it, then $200 modelling amp with effects built in should be fine. Then later when getting into jamming & maybe some gigs going for a bigger amp will make more sense.
Moving on.....
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Ask about everyone else who posts in this forum and GG&A what they think about the MG. Not just in my experience, bud.

You don't understand what I'm saying. For the price of the MG100hdfx combo that you recommended, which is a cheaply made shit solid state, you CAN get a 20w all tube combo for the SAME EXACT price, so why bother with it?

If you are going to get a small solid state or digital modeling combo, you might as well go with a Vox VT, Fender Mustang, Peavey Vypyr, or hell, even the Fender Frontman over the MG, and save a shitload of cash. The MG is an oversized practice amp with the Marshall logo stamped on it. You say it "sounds decent for the price" when in actuality, it doesn't. Play any of those amps that I just mentioned in this paragraph and see what I mean. I think just about all of them are equally priced if not less than the MG and sound FAR superior.

Oh, and also:

Bull. Shit.

I can run my 100w all-tube head going into a 4x12 cab IN MY BEDROOM at BEDROOM LEVELS, and I can get a GREAT sound out of it. NO amp is "too loud", ESPECIALLY 20w. Volume knobs exist for a reason.

Now while I did advise against the TS spending money on an all tube amp, if she's going to spend the same amount of money on a shitty solid-state toy that she could use to buy an all tube amp, she might as well either buy the all tube amp OR get the SAME QUALITY for FAR less.

The MG is an absolute waste of money considering on what you can get for the same price and cheaper.

For the TS's friend I think the Vox VT40+ would suit best.

Okay, the MG100hdfx is not the right amp and for that price, there are definitely better amps yes. Sorry, I meant the MG series in general. The one's under £100.

Me saying an MG sounds decent for the price is completely subjective. That's my opinion.

And having a 100 watt valve amp for use in your bedroom is ridiculous. I have a 50 watt Marshall Vintage Modern for use in gigs but it's very impractical for bedroom use. 100 watts of valve is just insane. You won't be able to put the volume past one or two. It's a waste.

There is not really much need for 100 watts these days. Venues that need that sort of volume will have a PA system, so you can use a 1 watt amp if you want.
Quote by greeny23
dumbest guy on this website.

+1
there's no point in arguing it, you guys are probably just confusing her now
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
And having a 100 watt valve amp for use in your bedroom is ridiculous. I have a 50 watt Marshall Vintage Modern for use in gigs but it's very impractical for bedroom use. 100 watts of valve is just insane. You won't be able to put the volume past one or two. It's a waste.
It's not just for bedroom usage, I actually DO use it gigging (well not at the moment, I'm still trying to get my current band's shit together), and I play in bands that are a hell of a lot more than just a shitty bar cover band.

And I'm tired of this "not using an amp to its full potential" horseshit everyone here. As long as the amp gives you the perfect sound that you are looking for at whatever volumes you usually use it at, it is in no way a waste. No one should be forced to resort to a lower wattage or SS/digital modeling amp that doesn't give the right sound just so it can be used to its "Full potiential" in the bedroom.

You should be able to to run your Vintage Modern at bedroom levels fine. If anything is a waste it's buying another amplifier to use in the bedroom if the one you usually use sounds fine at low volumes. Of course, if you want power tube saturation, that's wouldn't happen, but even 5w is too much for that.

Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
There is not really much need for 100 watts these days. Venues that need that sort of volume will have a PA system, so you can use a 1 watt amp if you want.
There're two things you are leaving completely out of the picture: stage volume, and headroom. Sending guitars along with everything else through the monitors becomes a clusterfuck, and a small low wattage amp can't be turned up without power tubes saturating. 100w is certainly NOT worthless, and it's not a waste either.
It's generally accepted that the best (non-clean) sounds from tube amps come from driving the outputs so yes 100w for a bedroom only player is waste if they are purchasing one simply for that purpose. If you've already got one because you gigged or jammed then no big deal right because the money's already been spent?
My Peavey is all tube and only 22w, it ends up at about 2 for home use.
My Vox on the other hand is 30W SS so it's not as loud, has a smaller speaker (10 inch), closed back cabinet and a power control so I can crank the tube output stage without getting too loud. (on the VT series the tubes used as a low power amp not a pre-amp)
If Iwas still jamming or gigging, I'd go for tube yes.
I've some pretty impressive demos done with all modelling amps or digital workstations, I've also heard a lot of sh*t tone done on tube amps.
Moving on.....
Quote by Ian_the_fox
It's not just for bedroom usage, I actually DO use it gigging (well not at the moment, I'm still trying to get my current band's shit together), and I play in bands that are a hell of a lot more than just a shitty bar cover band.

And I'm tired of this "not using an amp to its full potential" horseshit everyone here. As long as the amp gives you the perfect sound that you are looking for at whatever volumes you usually use it at, it is in no way a waste. No one should be forced to resort to a lower wattage or SS/digital modeling amp that doesn't give the right sound just so it can be used to its "Full potiential" in the bedroom.

You should be able to to run your Vintage Modern at bedroom levels fine. If anything is a waste it's buying another amplifier to use in the bedroom if the one you usually use sounds fine at low volumes. Of course, if you want power tube saturation, that's wouldn't happen, but even 5w is too much for that.

There're two things you are leaving completely out of the picture: stage volume, and headroom. Sending guitars along with everything else through the monitors becomes a clusterfuck, and a small low wattage amp can't be turned up without power tubes saturating. 100w is certainly NOT worthless, and it's not a waste either.

I meant a waste as in a waste of money, not amp. Of course, you can buy a 200 watt amp for bedroom levels if you want, but it would be a waste of money. But as you said, you've used it for gigging and whatever.

Saying buying another smaller amp for bedroom use being a waste if just nonsense. Especially if you have a larger tube amp. A smaller one is easier to carry around, if you want to record in your room, you can crank it without pissing the neighbors off so you still get that tube saturation, if it's like 15 watts then you can even use it for band practice.

I really can't be bothered to argue anymore. None of this is relevant to TS's situation You can now post after me and feel like you've won because I am not gunna be coming in this thread again. I've given TS my advice and am done here.
Quote by JustRooster
If she's just learning guitar, get her something that's moderately priced and FLEXIBLE. If she's just starting out, why on earth would you want to pigeonhole her into a genre right away?

I agree with this as well. A beginner player won't have that much experience on advanced equipment when she's just trying to play stuff.
Ahh Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm ready to pay around $200 dollars for it by the way And I'm thinking of either a Yamaha or a Gibson... ? Nothing too metal style...