Hey guys, i need a bit of help with something and i was wondering if UG could help out. I'm from australia and if you didn't already know, amps here are much more expensive than what they are in america. So i'm looking at buying a Vox ac15c1 from america and shipping it over here (courtesy of musiciansfriend's free international shipping at the moment). This is all well and good since it would save me about $350, but it leaves me with one problem, and that's to do with australia having a different mains voltage to america. I've done some research and have found that some amps support both without any mods, some just require a quick soldering job, and some need a power converter.

So i was wondering if anyone that has this amp can tell me whether or not it supports the change in voltage without any mods (it should say on the back where the power cord goes in....eg 240V ~ 50Hz), or if anyone has had this problem before and can give me any recommendations on what to do to fix this problem?

Any help would be great
cheers
My Gear:
Fender 60th anniversary standard strat
Ibanez GRG170DX (selling)
Marshall MG15CDR (selling too)
Yamaha FG-400A
soon to have:
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by RoCK GuiTaReST at Nov 11, 2011,
I downloaded the manual.
That amp doesn't have a voltage selector of any kind. Hence I'd assume you will need to replace the transformer. Or buy a step down transformer.
RIP Gooze

cats
Even if you would have to get something swapped it would most likely be much less than $350 to get that fixed so I say go for it. However I wouldn't plug it in till you get more information
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
i seriously doubt that the ac15 has a courtesy mains inlet (both 120 & 240V). you'll have to get it modded. and i get the feeling it's going to cost you about $200-300.

it's not that much more, dude. just get it from here.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i seriously doubt that the ac15 has a courtesy mains inlet (both 120 & 240V). you'll have to get it modded. and i get the feeling it's going to cost you about $200-300.

it's not that much more, dude. just get it from here.

This.

I served a guy today who bought an American Deluxe Strat from NY for $1700. Firstly, the guy lied and said warranty was international. It's not. Secondly, he said that it'd only cost him $150 to get it over to Aus. Got stuck in customs and had to pay $380 to get it out. And an AC15 is bigger and heavier than a Deluxe Strat, how much do you think it'll get out if customs get a hold of it? Ended up costing him $2180 when he sold them for $2000.

If the amp busts you're screwed. No Aussie retailer will look after you if you buy overseas.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
This.

I served a guy today who bought an American Deluxe Strat from NY for $1700. Firstly, the guy lied and said warranty was international. It's not. Secondly, he said that it'd only cost him $150 to get it over to Aus. Got stuck in customs and had to pay $380 to get it out. And an AC15 is bigger and heavier than a Deluxe Strat, how much do you think it'll get out if customs get a hold of it? Ended up costing him $2180 when he sold them for $2000.

If the amp busts you're screwed. No Aussie retailer will look after you if you buy overseas.

With regards to customs - if it's under a grand he shouldn't have any problem there.

But I agree, the cost to get it modded will outdo the money saved by buying from the US.
RIP Gooze

cats
He shouldn't have to get it modded if he buys a 50VA or so tramsformer. Should be much cheaper than $350. The warranty id definately an issue though. I doubt any retailer or distributer will loom after someone who has jumped over them to save some money.
Shit idea. Used AC30s can be had for under a grand if you are patient and a quick eBay search yielded this AC15 with a starting bid of $500 and a BIN of 600 and this one with a starting bid of $675.
Musicians Friend won't ship you a new Vox anyway, they're not allowed to under contract due to the importer down here, you'd have to get one of their "used" models (if they have any). It just wouldn't be worth it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by NakedInTheRain

yeah thats what i thought. i was hoping to have some luck and find out it does, since vox is a british amp company and they have the same mains as aus, i was thinking it might have a multi transformer...oh well i guess not. yeah i would buy it here if it was going to cost me $200-300 to get it done, so i'd be making a few calls to see exactly how much it would be before i bought it.

Quote by Eppicurt
This.

The guy you spoke to must have had no idea about customs. If you're importing something $1000 or over you'll have taxes on top of it. It only got stuck because he didn't declare it and probably hoped it would get through unnoticed. I've shipped gear from america before of similar value to the vox and never had a problem or received taxes on top. So that's the least of my worries. As for the amp getting busted, that is a concern of mine and if the price wasn't justifiable i wouldn't do it. That's why i'm researching and thinking.

Quote by consecutive e
Shit idea. Used AC30s can be had for under a grand if you are patient and a quick eBay search yielded this AC15 with a starting bid of $500 and a BIN of 600 and this one with a starting bid of $675.
Musicians Friend won't ship you a new Vox anyway, they're not allowed to under contract due to the importer down here, you'd have to get one of their "used" models (if they have any). It just wouldn't be worth it.

Yeah i've had plenty of quick searches on ebay and a few other places. The problem is that most, including those 2, don't want to ship to where i live. Adelaide hasn't got the best used market in the world, which is a shame and usually means you have to always buy new. As for musicians friend only selling used stuff, yea i knew that, but their stuff comes with a 45 day return policy so if it broke on the way here i'd be ok. Of course i'd ideally want a full warranty, but at least it's better than what i'd get through someone off ebay. probably better condition too if it's mint.
My Gear:
Fender 60th anniversary standard strat
Ibanez GRG170DX (selling)
Marshall MG15CDR (selling too)
Yamaha FG-400A
soon to have:
Vox AD50VT