Hey guys,

Long time since I've been starting threads on UG. So here I am, at it again.
I always wonder, whether a group of compact series of guitar effects or a simple, multi-effects processor is better. What are your opinions, guys? Is it better to have multiple effects side by side or is it better to keep it simple and use a multi-effects processor?

Regards,
parhelia_0000
Some one hasn't looked at the stickies in a while
An axe-fx will always have a place on my gas list
Quote by xdiablox37
Multi-fx pretty much suck. You get what you pay for.

TS: There is no right answer. Different things work for different people. I believe in the power of digital FX. I used to play the pedal game when I used my 5150, but I'm over it. It's a pain in the ass, and digital allows so much more possibilities.

Some people like playing the pedal game. Some people are into the collectability factor, or the "vintage" factor, or, most commonly, they just simply like picking which exact effect they want. there is no wrong answer.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by parhelia_0000
Long time since I've been starting threads on UG.

o.O

anyway it depends. there are great multifx (axefx, g system) and there are shitty ones. just in the same way there are shitty individual effects and excellent individual effects.

i like individual effects, because i like my board to look pretty.
Quote by aating
http://www.yessoso.com We accept pyapal payment. You do not miss it. We need your support and trust!!! free shipping (Jordan wholesale) Dear customers, thank you for your support of our company. Here, there's good news to tell you: The company recently launched a number of new fashion items! ! Fashionableand welcome everyone to come buy. (Jordan wholesale) http://www.yessoso.com

this.
mojostompboxes.com
Well, depends. Do you have a few effects that you need/commonly use? Do you want to try and experiment with different effects? Do you want a multi fx with amp modeling? Just asking "Which is better" isn't enough info to say, and even with all that info, it still comes down to personal choice.

Personally, I swore off all multi fx until I saw/heard with the Line 6 M series could do. Now, my M13 has a permanent place on my board.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Depends on the pedals and the MFX units. Some are good, some are bad, this applies to both.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Some things are right for some people, other things are right for others.

Personally I prefer a multi-fx unit because I hardly ever use anything other than my amp's distortion. When I need an effect, it's pretty much guaranteed there will be something that does the job I want. Single effects pedals for me would be a waste of money.

If you're after something more specific or you use effects all the time, you are better off getting a range of single effects pedals as they will usually provide a better quality than a multi-fx unit.

Much like with all of these vs threads (which aren't really allowed if you'd actually read the FAQ), there is no definitive answer. It is merely a matter of preference.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by xdiablox37
Multi-fx pretty much suck. You get what you pay for.

so imagine if you bought a really expensive multi-fx unit that would cost more than a whole bunch of whatever pedals you might be looking for?

by your own logic that would make it better than single FX pedals. of course "you get what you pay for" only works to a certain extent and then there's other things to consider, but generally a high end multi-fx unit is gonna be a great piece of equipment that through midi-switching and stuff will be more practical to use on stage than single stompboxes, especially if you have a lot of them.

I personally find that since i don't like to use a wide array of FX very much multi-fx are pretty pointless for me (i mean, why pay extra for stuff i don't need?) but that's just me.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I hardly need any effects. I mean other then a delay and a compressor, I don't forsee regularly using anything.

Fuzz is cool.
If you're asking this question then I think you need a multifx. Check out the Zoom G3. You can always combine it with individual pedals.