Hey Everybody, this is my first post on UG and I had a question about jamming with others in a band and making sure your tone cuts through the mix without losing its overall quality.

So I have a B-52 At-100 amp and I run a digitech RP100 through its clean channel, and it sounds pretty badass when its dialed to a 5. The problem is, you cant hear the amp when its dialed in on 5, so i turn it up to 10 and then it basically sounds like ass. Is it something I'm doing wrong with my set up, should i be using my distortion pedal in addition to the amps natural overdrive channel, or is there an EQ boosting pedal a good way to go? Im really not sure what i could do to obtain higher volumes without completely ruining my tone.

Any Help would be great,

Thanks allot

-Nos.
Turn your mids up, and use the amp's OD channel. Boost it with a Tubescreamer or a Digitech Bad Monkey or something.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks Man for the advice. Yeah I basically have no mids in my mix, enjoying the scooped tone. I just wasnt sure how the OD matches up with a distortion pedal, thought they would produce a clashing effect if running both.
Mids are very important for cutting through a mix. Also for not sounding like a n00b. Sorry, but it's true.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321
Mids are very important for cutting through a mix. Also for not sounding like a n00b. Sorry, but it's true.

Thats ok man, everybodys gotta start somewhere so im not minding sounding like i dont know what im doing, cause I dont

I will take the mids into consideration, but will that be enough to keep the quality of the tone or is it something i should look into from the distortion pedals end? Like I said, thing sounds EXCELLENT on 5, but not on 10... maybe I should mic up into the PA for better equality without sacrifice?
The loss of mids really thins out your sound, your highs blend with the cymbals and your lows blend with the kick drum and bass. The midrange is a guitarist's sonic space. And many people, especially the guys here, have a very low opinion of scooping.
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
Ok, I will give the mids a jolt at my next practice and see if thats a vast improvement for what i am after... as far as the scoop thing goes though, I'm a child of the nu-metal kind of era and I've read allot that scooping your mids can help with creating that low tone i am seeking (other then down tuning the hell out of your guitar/ 7 or 8 string guitars)... i thought adding mids made your tone more rock as opposed to metal (think "...and justice for all..." followed by "the black album")

Again, thanks for the welcomed feedback guys.
Quote by nosferau1088
i thought adding mids made your tone more rock as opposed to metal (think "...and justice for all..." followed by "the black album")

Again, thanks for the welcomed feedback guys.

Not necessarily.

More mids means more balls, generally, but too much mids can make an amp nasal-sounding.

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooxcQ_SOP3o

Now I know it sounds dirty and kinda gross, but at the same time it's very in-your-face and raw. That's mids.

Listen to this next: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0NIeOoiBI&feature=related

A ton of mids in this clip. Notice how the guitar sounds up-front in the mix. That has a lot to do with mids. While there are certain things you can do in the studio to make even a scooped sound stand out, your mids are very very important for maintaining your presence in the mix.

You can have the amp scooped to 0 all you want and sound SUPER MEGA BR00T4LZ DOOD!!!11! but it's not really worth it if it means no one will hear you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You have to equal differently at different volume levels to compensate for the Fletcher munson curve
The lower the level, the more highs and lows you dial in to compensate. At higher volumes you need less bass and treble.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Yeah I've found that playing scooped soundsgood on your own but you need to pretty much forget about that and adjust your tone in relation to how your band sounds. That typically translates to boosting your mids. Use your ear, but turning up you mid knob is a good p;lace to start
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Rookie mistake. What sounds good when you are by yourself rarely sounds good in the mix. Turn up your mids.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Teh Midz.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
The mids, aye. And please do not use the RP100 except for delay/reverb kinda effects in the effects loop, use the overdrive from the B52-AT100! That's a poor man's rectifier basically, and has a helluva ballcrushing tone.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
Don't use a digital modelling pedal in front of an all tube amp.
That (not using your amps distortion, these are a recto clone right and your lack of mids are your downfall here.
Try boosting the distorted channel with an overdrive pedal.. volume on full on the pedal, low drive, tone whatever.
There sorted.
toanz
ps mids
Hey thanks allot everybody for excellent advice im learning allot. Yeah I got the B-52 cause Im really broke and I heard its a crappy version of my dream amp (the mesa dual rec), but i think ive gotten some really good ideas on how to correct this issue.
I just keep my mids at 6 and use a TS7 for that mid boost as well, and to tighten it up. Works for me.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90