It only recently struck me - after playing a show along with a guitarist that felt he needed an effects loop to play where no amp had one - that a reverb tank and effects loop are somewhat similar, from what I understand. A signal goes out from the amp, sends it to a "processor" (or reverb tank), then returns it to the circuit.

Now, I'm almost sure that it's possible to convert a reverb tank into - and to mechanically add - an effects loop, but is it possible that by only reconnecting cables, you can create an effects loop?

Would the signal levels be correct? Do they differ from amp to amp? Will it be a serial loop?

I searched Google and UG for this and found no similar threads or information for this - but I may not have gone through thoroughly enough.
that's an interesting idea! I'm not sure if what I say is going to be correct, but still.

I think that first of all when the cables go to the reverb tank, it's already a processed signal that's sent to the tank ready to get the reverb on. (idk if that makes sense really )
another thing is that it'd always be a series FX loop. I dont know if the signal that's sent to and from the tank is going to be workable for external pedals. You'd also get teh knob for reverb to act as a level knob.

An effects loop is a partition between the pre-amp and the power-amp of the amplifier. This partition allows you to put your effects in, after the amplifier has done the majority of the "shaping" of your sound. This is why some people prefer to use some effects such as reverb and delay in the effects loop.

If the reverb tank is wired between the pre-amp and the power-amp, then essentially it is your "flag" showing you where this point is. If it is not, I have no idea what would happen if you started putting your pedals there. If you want to mod an amp to put an FX loop in, it is to my knowledge that you simply have to cut the wire/pcb trail where the pre amp meets the power amp, wire 1/4" jacks to these cut ends of cable, creating a loop for pedals to go into. However, this may be a fairly primitive way of doing such a thing, and may not take into account any noise or degradation of the amplifier's sound by making a cut in this place in the circuit.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Take a look at this:
Mojotone Effects Loop

It's a ready made PCB with basically the whole effects loop circuit ready to be wired in to the amp. Instructions are on the page as well.
I actually already considered doing this with my princeton reverb as it doesnt have an effects loop, but after pondering and having someone explain to me exactly whats going on with the reverb channel it would work but it won't sound very good because with the way a reverb opperates it sorta mixs reverb and un altered sound so if you put like a distortion circuit in where the reverb is you'll have a clean sound and a distorted sound on top of each other and im guessing that will not be very pleasent.