I'm into punk pop which I know most of you will frown upon for not being into "serious" guitaring.

But my playing is a bit sloppy. How can I clean it up? Just practice? Or is there something I have to keep my mind on during practice?

I also want to play with my strap lying down a bit low. Please don't judge me and call me a poser but how can I make my playing look "stylish" without having to compromise my technique
Quote by shamaans
I also want to play with my strap lying down a bit low. Please don't judge me and call me a poser but how can I make my playing look "stylish" without having to compromise my technique

You can't. Having your guitar out of position is always going to compromise your technique. Forget about how it looks, find the best position for comfort and technique and stick with that.

As for your question about playing cleanly, practice is always the answer. If you don't already have an acoustic guitar, get one and practice on that. Playing the electric may suit the style of music you want to learn better, but learning on an acoustic will force you to improve your technique and will make it far easier when switching to an electric.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
You can't. Having your guitar out of position is always going to compromise your technique. Forget about how it looks, find the best position for comfort and technique and stick with that.

As for your question about playing cleanly, practice is always the answer. If you don't already have an acoustic guitar, get one and practice on that. Playing the electric may suit the style of music you want to learn better, but learning on an acoustic will force you to improve your technique and will make it far easier when switching to an electric.

I am actually a pretty decent acoustic guitarist. I've mainly been into acoustic music before this but recently started electric and you know the little sounds in acoustic guitaring doesn't sound that bad but every small mistake is amplified on an electric. ...
Yeah there are some things that you can't hear on acoustic and are amplified on electric. What do you mean by sloppy? If you just don't hit correct notes practice more slowly, to the point where you can play it perfectly. If there is a lot of noise, try muting unnecessary strings (the ones closer to you, above what you play mute with picking hand, the ones below with the other one).
Quote by kisiel35
Yeah there are some things that you can't hear on acoustic and are amplified on electric. What do you mean by sloppy? If you just don't hit correct notes practice more slowly, to the point where you can play it perfectly. If there is a lot of noise, try muting unnecessary strings (the ones closer to you, above what you play mute with picking hand, the ones below with the other one).

I think I need to play a bit more muted...

it's just a bit too noisy. Like a lot of background noise. Not CRISP!
I'm confused. I thought punk was supposed to be sloppy.....
So all this time punk guitarists were actually trying to play cleanly...
Wow
Quote by shamaans
I think I need to play a bit more muted...

it's just a bit too noisy. Like a lot of background noise. Not CRISP!

So muting is the way to go, you can find some lessons for it on UG. Turning down gain on your amp may help, too. Or a noise gate, sometimes it's just amp that is noisy.

@down i'm no expert in amps/ amp settings too. I just play with the knobs until it sounds good to me . There is a Ultimate Settings Thread, maybe you can find there settings for your favourite band and use it as a starting point.

Here's the link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688660 just remember that every amp/guitar sounds diffrent and you need to play with the given settings toachieve what you want.
Last edited by kisiel35 at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by kisiel35
So muting is the way to go, you can find some lessons for it on UG. Turning down gain on your amp may help, too. Or a noise gate, sometimes it's just amp that is noisy.

My amp does sound a bit noisy..

what could be the best setting for 90's skate punk?
Quote by InhalingAshes
I'm confused. I thought punk was supposed to be sloppy.....
So all this time punk guitarists were actually trying to play cleanly...
Wow

This.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by stealstrings
This.

I mean 90's punk. Punk pop.

Anyway, even if it's meant to sound sloppy. I don't mine to sound sloppy.