Its slowly coming up to christmas and ive been looking around for present ideas. My dad, who has just recently started playing guitar, has been looking around for a good metronome for ages. He wants one similar to what I have on my phone (Mobile Metronome on Android) where it actually has a visual count in the corner of 1,2,3,4. Hes had a small look around but so far all he has found is metronomes with a visual of the needle going back and forth. So is there any metronomes with a visual count?

Oh and for the record, I have told him to try keep in time with the sound and not visual count in the past.
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
is he deaf?
The metronome is to keep the rythm by hearing clicking noise, not watching a needle go back and forth. Then he must have misunderstood what it's for.
Quote by JB95
is he deaf?
The metronome is to keep the rythm by hearing clicking noise, not watching a needle go back and forth. Then he must have misunderstood what it's for.

is it so blasphemous to want a metronome with such features? What a waste of comment. something like this maybe?
http://www.sourcingmap.com/digital-piano-metronome-tone-generator-wsm001a-black-p-2106.html
Quote by stykerwolf
is it so blasphemous to want a metronome with such features? What a waste of comment. something like this maybe?
http://www.sourcingmap.com/digital-piano-metronome-tone-generator-wsm001a-black-p-2106.html

No, he's right on the money. It's a hearing art, you follow the click, you don't need the needle or the number count, that's why there's the louder first click. You just don't need it though, it's more of a waste of time to just keeping looking for one just because it has the numbers, than learning to just follow the click, which is the point of a metronome in the first place.

He never said it was blashemous, but it's certainly silly.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Nov 12, 2011,
I don't get it. Why comment when your not going to help?

How about getting him the same phone you have?
I'm an expert on all of them. Even the ones I made up.

Dirt and fertilizer. TS9DX. Fulltone 70's, Vox Brit boost, Mesa V-twin and a DLS. Everything grows better with lots of dirt.
Because what he posted was right, and he got called out on it?

I don't know of too many metronomes that use a visual refference on it, because like I said, it's about HEARING, and they have they tend to just have the first click louder. Sorry it's not "helpful" as in suggesting him a visual metronome, but that's just how they're tend to not be made.
ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by Tango616 at Nov 12, 2011,
If the guy wants to use a visual reference then what's wrong with that? I"m not going to disagree about it being a hearing art. However we have no right to tell this guy he's wrong for wanting this. Or correct him. It's his dad. Not you. Posting comments instead of helping isn't doing this guy any favors.

Sorry Sadokun, I should of checked the link given by stykerwolf before I made my post. For less then a 20 it might be worth checking out. And i think that's a bit less than the cost of buying him a phone like yours.
I'm an expert on all of them. Even the ones I made up.

Dirt and fertilizer. TS9DX. Fulltone 70's, Vox Brit boost, Mesa V-twin and a DLS. Everything grows better with lots of dirt.
I'm not saying he CAN'T have one, or saying it/he is wrong. Sure it's not doing him any favors, but he's not doing himself any favors if he wont accept a regular "CLICK click click click"-ing metronome like just about everyone else who uses them. He can do as he pleases, yeah, I'm just saying.
ಠ_ಠ

The point of a metronome is to be in time. Whether you do that by sound, visual, or feel (the pulsing ones Ive seen), it doesn't matter. The only point of a metronome is to keep time while you play along.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
^Indeed. Now if only I can market a metronome that keeps you in time with smell. Like on the downbeat you smell bacon but the other beats you smell pizza.

I'd buy it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
The haters obviously haven't come across Orchestral Conductors before :s
Quote by bluestratplayer
The point of a metronome is to be in time. Whether you do that by sound, visual, or feel (the pulsing ones Ive seen), it doesn't matter. The only point of a metronome is to keep time while you play along.

Agreed, but still, to just disregard a click metronome is a bit silly when you think about it. Whatever works, yes. but a click I think would be easier to follow and be more accurate with.
ಠ_ಠ

Hey, sorry I aint replied back in a while. Have had a bit of trouble with internet over weekend.

Oh dear, think this is the second time (in a row) ive posted here and managed to generate a debate over a question.

Ive told him to try and get used to clicking and hes giving it a go but like I said in the first post, hes new to guitar. Like, 6 or so months playing exp so far. I dont blame him thought for not getting used to clicking, I think we can all agree when we first started we had difficulty with the metronome (if you disagree and think you found it easy, quit kidding youself!). Anyway, thank you for the suggestions, I will look into them tommorrow
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Not properly read the thread but I have this:

Super cheap, visible "needle", loads of different time options (time sigs and note divisions, etc).

To be honest, short of needing a specific drum track it does everything most people would need it for.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Not properly read the thread but I have this:

Super cheap, visible "needle", loads of different time options (time sigs and note divisions, etc).

To be honest, short of needing a specific drum track it does everything most people would need it for.

This one. Or if he wants a STRICTLY visual one, you can print out a list of numbers that go up to four and tell him to read it.