Well hopefully anyway, and I was hoping you guys would help.

I'm just going to just be getting a head at the moment (I'll buy a cab at some point, but I don't really need one right now) and my budget will hopefully be around £500 - maybe £600 at a push. I'd rather buy it new and I'm situated in Glasgow, but I could maybe travel to Edinburgh or something to buy it.

The type of music I'm playing at the moment is kinda metalcore, but I'd like to get a tone similar to the song Beech Like The Tree by Lower Than Atlantis (if it can go heavier though - that's a bonus.) I know both guitarists from LTA use Blackstars and I've heard good things about the HT-50, so I was thinking maybe that.
So basically i was hoping you could tell me: Is this a good amp? Would it be loud enough to be heard over a drumkit with a full band in a practise room? Are there better amps for what i want in this price range?
Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Quote by TheQuailman
How do you plan on using the head without a cab?

I'm going to be using my 15w line 6 at home, the head's for band practice and gigging - probably should have mentioned that in the OP.
EDIT: and the venues and practice rooms all have cabs already.

Last edited by Gerard_xD at Nov 12, 2011,
The Jet City JCA50 is used by one of the guitar players in Avenged Sevenfold, and from what I've heard all over YouTube and so on it's more than capable of metal.

Here's some more specific clips:

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=11142
http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=10500
http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=10350
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Nov 19, 2011,
It really just depends on the kind of tone you want. I personally wouldn't use a Blackstar for anything heavier than hard rock, but a lot of people like to use them for metal, if that's the kind of tone you want.

We can help you more if you give us some bands that you'd like to sound like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd like to sound like Touché Amoré and Pianos Become The Teeth, but with the capability to have a metalish (A7Xish, I guess...) tone when needed. Hope that helps

I'm having a lot of difficulty finding out what gear they use, but from what little I can gather, you may need a Peavey Vypyr Tube to cover that range of tones. I see talk of using Fenders, Marshalls, Sunn, Ampeg, stuff like that, which could be ballparked with one amp, but if you also want to get into metal territory, it's really hard to find an amp in your budget (or most budgets) to fit that bill. Hence the Vypyr Tube. It can and will cover anything you could ever need from it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Wouldn't it just be like mildly overdriven with relatively high mids though? And then when something heavier's required, just down the mids and up the gain?

It's not that simple. "Gain" isn't a simple quantifiable entity - different amps have totally different tonalities and gain structures. One amps distortion can sound completely different than another, and "turning it up" won't make it sound like a different amp.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Oh I know, I don't really want to sound exactly like another amp, just to get in it's general territory I guess.

I'll definitely look into the Vypyr though.

ENGL Screamer combo.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The Jet City is a great choice. Plenty of gain for what you want to do, and sounds good.

Later on I suggest getting your own guitar cabinet, for other purposes and so you have your own in general. You'll get tired of playing with that Spider after a while.
For that budget if you go on ebay and look at the jet citys being blown out by source you'd easily be able to afford your own cab

Geez starting to sound like a broken record.
I'm tired of playing the spider already, haha. Just can't really afford a cab at the moment, and I assume it would be a bit loud.

And cool, I'll look on eBay, I don't entirely trust it though