Well, I'm going to play guitar. I already can play bass, but other than that I'm a complete noob with guitarplaying.
With Christmas I'm getting a guitar, and the one I want is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, in alpine white. Is this a good guitar? I really want a Les Paul, I simply love the design and I heard it sounds very good (videos, at school, musicshop).

So, would you recommend me to get a Custom? Or is another guitar just as good as this one, and a lot cheaper?
-
My son has a Epi LP that's a decent guitar. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's so heavy. It's a real back and shoulder killer. Not sure if the Customs are as heavy as the regular Epi LPs, but it's something to think about.
epi LP customs and standards are basically the same guitar its just that the custom is more "fancy" just a nice paint job and gold plating

other than that its a great guitar! the epi LP standard is my second guitar and i never regret buying it. but do change the pickups though, it sounds kinda muddy...
Last edited by PUNKSTER93 at Nov 12, 2011,
For the price of an Epi LP Custom, I feel you could do better searching under other brands. I own a lower-end Epi G-400 Goth and it was a good starter guitar, but when I played the LP Custom I noticed it didn't sound a great deal different for the ~$500 price difference. You could consider a Gibson LP studio in a faded finish, or a different brand entirely.
I'm not a huge Ibanez fan but I played an ART the other day and it sounded very nice, and still largely retained an overall Les Paul feel.
ESP LTD's EC guitars are considered by some to be even better than a traditional Les Paul, but most of them have active pickups. What kind of music do you play?
Thanks for the quick replies!
The music I want to play is like Muse, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys.. Rock/Indie/Punk/Alternative, those. Not really hardrock.

Heavy doesn't really matter.. because when I'm learning new things I'm most of the time sitting, but is it really a pain?
No. Ec series and art series < epi les paul standard/ custom.
Yes even the ec-1000 and art 800.
The ec and arz have thinner necks and a better neck joint contour though.
its a beautiful guitar and you can nearly always count on epiphone to give you value for money. tokai also make great les paul copies
Oh maybe it's good to know, I'm a girl so my hands aren't really so big, so I think how thinner the neck how easier to play?
Quote by Midnight Burst
Thanks for the quick replies!
The music I want to play is like Muse, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys.. Rock/Indie/Punk/Alternative, those. Not really hardrock.

Heavy doesn't really matter.. because when I'm learning new things I'm most of the time sitting, but is it really a pain?

no, its not.
Your music tastes in mind, the Epi would probably be a good guitar for you.
I say get a guitar that's simple, easy to set up, re string and tune, pretty light wait, easy to sit and stand with, versatile and comfortable.

I recommend the Yamaha Pacifica. Really nice guitars, yet really simple and affordable.

I also recommend buying an amp separate instead of buying a starter kit with an amp. Starter kit amps tend to sound horrid and will quickly be wanting a replacement. It will be cheaper and more convenient in the long run to buy some thing to a micro cube.

It'll also feel better learning if you sound good.
Quote by samjbow

+1
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I'm going for the Custom now! Thanks, now I know it for sure. I'm going to buy a marshall amp.

And is that a good thing?
I meant it in all seriousness, although in retrospect it may have been perceived as sarcasm ^^; my bad.
If you want Les Paul guitar then there are only really few that are real copies...
Epiphones also Epi MIJ Elitists
Other MIJ Brands Tokai, Greco, Burny & Orville
ALL OTHERS ARE NOT COPIES, THEY ARE STYLED SIMILARLY TO OR INSPIRED BY THE LES PAUL. The Differences are everything from Scale length in some cases, number or frets, body carve, woods used, differences in neck tilt and headstock tilt angles etc etc. This is enough to keep them from infringing on ibsons's patents as well.
If you want inexpensive the new list price on an Epi STD plain top is $399 plus tax. Hard to beat at that price and eadily available in most stores so you can try before you buy

If all you want is something that is 'Les Paul like' there are dozens of choices including many mentioned here and then some.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by Midnight Burst
I'm going for the Custom now! Thanks, now I know it for sure. I'm going to buy a marshall amp.

And is that a good thing?

I take it you mean one of the MG series? Don't. Try a Roland Cube.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
If you have the funds to go LP custom, then you might well save up to get a Gibson Les Paul standard, or LTD Eclipse.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by Midnight Burst
Nope, Epiphone LP Custom

He meant do not get a Marshall MG

I heard somewhere that heavy guitars, if built properly and stuff, tend to have good sustain as the wood used is denser or something. So maybe the Epiphone Les Paul Custom being heavy is a good thing.
Gear

Ibanez Premium RG870Z
Zoom Fire 15
Ibanez OD850
Boss MT2