So I accidentally left my Valve Junior on for a day and a half. The volume was all the way off but not he power button.

My problem is, that the volume started cutting in and out at random times. Now I seem to only have about half the volume I used to. Normal volume level was about 2 now I have it around 4. Also it doesn't seem to take gain or overdrive well anymore.

Did I fry something by leaving it on?
I opened it up, but could not see anything visibly wrong or obviously burnt. Not sure if the tube is fried or not.

Any help would be appreciated.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
sounds like you need new tubes. Whenever something odd happens on my 6505 i change out the tubes, which always seems to fix it. If you are on a tight budget try just the preamp tubes first then if the problem persists change the power tubes (and of course bias the amp)
It's an Epiphone Valve Junior. As far as I can tell there is only one tube in it. looks simple enough to change out.
I am more of a solid state guy, so I don't know anything about tubes other than the warmth they give to the sound.
My uncle has that amp, I like it. Make sure you do not touch the new tube directly with your hand. The oils from your hands can in some cases shorten the life of the tube so get some gloves or an old t-shirt. It should have 2 tubes. 1 12ax7 preamp tube and a EL84 power tube
Quote by hardrckr120
My uncle has that amp, I like it. Make sure you do not touch the new tube directly with your hand. The oils from your hands can in some cases shorten the life of the tube so get some gloves or an old t-shirt. It should have 2 tubes. 1 12ax7 preamp tube and a EL84 power tube

Would the other tube be covered with a steel casing? If so then I know where it is. There is only 1 visible glass tube and then a steel cylinder.

So this volume issue should be related to my tubes?
I did some searching, and found another guy with a slightly similar issue, that was going to change his tubes, but there was no follow up as to whether it worked or not.
Quote by Ascendant
I think what TS needs is a new amp.

Could you elaborate on that more. As in T.S needs a new amp because..............
Quote by GOLDIE93
Would the other tube be covered with a steel casing? If so then I know where it is. There is only 1 visible glass tube and then a steel cylinder.

So this volume issue should be related to my tubes?
I did some searching, and found another guy with a slightly similar issue, that was going to change his tubes, but there was no follow up as to whether it worked or not.

yes the "steel casing" is a tube retainer for the 12ax7 pre-amp tube.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
yes the "steel casing" is a tube retainer for the 12ax7 pre-amp tube.

Cool.
Found it.

Will pick up new tubes Tues night.
Quote by GOLDIE93
Cool.
Found it.

Will pick up new tubes Tues night.

You might want to look up how to replace tubes before you go digging around in an amp.

An amp technician might be safer
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by hardrckr120
Make sure you do not touch the new tube directly with your hand. The oils from your hands can in some cases shorten the life of the tube so get some gloves or an old t-shirt.

Disregard this. Or at least if you do listen to this make sure not to step on any cracks either... It may break your mother's back.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by hardrckr120

False.

If you're dealing with old stage lighting tubes (basically...lightbulbs..) those heat up to insane temperatures. And yes, the oil from your fingers will cause them to bubble. its actually cool to watch.

Guitar amp tubes do not get up to anywhere near those kinds of temperatures, you can handle them safely.
yeah, the glass part of a tube is pretty thick, and they don't get nearly hot enough to cause problems. If they did, you'd have to have some heavy duty fans in the head, and the amp would give off enough heat to bake cookies.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I know it does affect Halogen Bulbs if you touch them with your hands. I will probably play it safe anyway, even if it doesn't matter.

@ guitarbaddie... I should be ok. I have messed around with some electronics in the past and wired a few guitars from scratch. These are pretty basic amps, so it shouldn't be too dificult.
'Playing it safe' involved holding the tube with something other than your hand... I'd rather 'play it safe' in regards to not dropping the tube than 'play it safe' in regards to some superstitious bullshit perpetuated by people who have no clue what they're talking about. (Literally since they are using lightbulb characteristics to describe tubes... Incorrectly.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by GOLDIE93
I know it does affect Halogen Bulbs if you touch them with your hands. I will probably play it safe anyway, even if it doesn't matter.
That's right. Stare at a halogen bulb and you'll go blind from the radiation. Stare at a tube and you might go insane from boredom. Contaminants on a halogen bulb reflect that radiation back into the bulb, which can destroy it. Contaminants on a tube only reflect boredom.
Incase anyone cares.
Tubes have been changed, problem solved.

Except I did it with the Amp turned on, with a guitar plugged in, and I swapped out the tubes while in the middle of doing a Pete Townsend, windmill, power chord, with butter on my fingers.

Also did a little research, and apparently no tube biasing is required for these amps.
Quote by GOLDIE93
Incase anyone cares.
Tubes have been changed, problem solved.

Except I did it with the Amp turned on, with a guitar plugged in, and I swapped out the tubes while in the middle of doing a Pete Townsend, windmill, power chord, with butter on my fingers.

Also did a little research, and apparently no tube biasing is required for these amps.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^ How many arms do you have!?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
^ How many arms do you have!?

I activated my Wonder Twin powers, and took the form of Vishnu.
Dude can I report you for doing it right?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!