Hey dudes,
My friend has his birthday soon and I dont want to buy him any little shit, so we decided to buy him a china cymbal together with other guys. I and my friends don't know much about drums in general (I only play guitar) so I have to ask you.
I went to a music store today with my homies and we checked out some chinas. The most one we liked was Zildjian ZBT. It was pretty inexpensive and sounded really cool.
Buuuut since we are not drummers, we have no idea how it actually sound to a drummer! The guy in the store said it's a cool cymbal and he can recommend it, but you know how some of them are...
Well the question is, is Zildjian ZBT a good cymbal? Any other recommendations (up to 200€, but it's better when it's cheaper)? If this has any relevance, he plays death metal.
Thanks!
I'm not totally sure, but I think my friend owns that cymbal as well and as far as I was concerned it was a pretty great cymbal. Yeah, death metal and that stuff seems to be pretty heavy on china cymbals but I think that should be good, just don't forget to get a stand as well. Getting a cymbal without a stand kinda sucks as a drummer :P
As much as I love Zildjian, they make some horrifying chinas. Get a Wuhan china, hell maybe 2 of them and keep one as a spare. If you can afford a little more, then get the Sabian Holy China, by FAR the best china out there in my opinion.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
On a low budget, Wuhan is definitely the best you can buy. I've literally had 14 expensive chinas over the past year and the only ones I'd recommend out of them is the Sabian HHX 18", Meinl Byzance Traditional 18" and Paiste Twenty 18". They are as close as I've come to replicating the china cymbal sounds on my favorite albums, nearly everything else sounded either extremely harsh and/or super gongy. The Wuhans are cool, but you really need to try them out if you can, with the same line and size, they can sound very different. I also use a 14" Sabian AAX mini-chinese for accents and certain breakdowns where a more brash sound works, I had the 18" version of it and completely hated that cymbal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Zbt will probably crack easier, and it doesnt have the best sound. They are the lowest line of Zildjians, so if you want an authentic china, I'd go with Wuhan, but if you want something different, I'd go with a higher quality Zildjian or Meinl.
The ZBT's okay, I think it sounds better than other budget chinas that I've heard-- in my experience it's hard to really nail a good china sound ESPECIALLY with cheap ones so I'd go for something like one of the bigger Zildjian Oriental China Trash, maybe. The Meinl that MatrixClaw mentioned is really good, as well as the Mb20 chinas that they make.

All of those, even the ZBT (though less so), would be suited for death metal, also.
Buy a Wuhan. They are cheap and sound like you are beating a trashcan lid with a sock full of dimes. Exactly how a good china should sound. I have played them forever and have never heard a major brand china that even comes close.
Thanks for help guys.
The problem is, there are no wuhan chinas in both of germany's biggest shops :0

How about a Paiste PST5 or something like that? And again, it's not for me, I'm not a drummer and when I actually try things out I will not see a big difference etc. u know, it's like my mom don't hear any difference between a cheap stratocaster copy and ESP Horizon. :P
+1 for the Wuhan.
and if your drummer is particular, it's more how the cymbal fits relative to his other ones, but the wuhan should fit fine for a china, generally

EDIT: perhaps try the brand of cymbals that he uses most.
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
Just stay away from Zildjian Chinas. All the ones I've used 3 different ones, and they were all terrible and (apperently) very pricey.
+1 to Wuhan. A good china should be trashy with nasty overtones, not sizzley.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Lordyboy
Just stay away from Zildjian Chinas. All the ones I've used 3 different ones, and they were all terrible and (apperently) very pricey.

The Oriental China Trash is a pretty cool cymbal as is the K series one. Wouldn't recommend any others though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Zildjan Oriental FX Trash. The 18" one has a good mid-tone range and sounds excellent. It's $200 on Musician's Friend.