Most heavy bands these days are playing in something like drop c or drop b...right.

I'm and old school metal dude that just started playing again. If I tuned a guitar to something like c standard. Would I still be using the same finger postitions to play the stuff I do like older metallica and Iron Maiden and all that half step down stuff? It would just sound nastier? Right? Then I could use this low tune to try and learn some of the newer stuff?

I've been listening to alot of Amon Amarth right now and would like to learn some of their stuff. Problem is, I have no idea how to tell what tuning a guitar is in. Im really a guitar idiot so I don't know this stuff.
standard c will play just like standard e except each note will be down 2 semitones lower than normal. as far as physical fingerings they would be the same. amon amarth plays in b standard so that would be 3 steps lower than e. standard tunings are all the same as regular e (as far as playing powerchords etc). drop tuningsplay differently allowing you to barre the first three string to play a powerchord.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
yea man as long as the tuning stays the same relative to the original tuning, you can play anything just transposed down/up to whatever tuning you're in
and new tunings are always fun to play with and experiment to see what you can come up with...because things do indeed sound 'nastier' with a lower tuning (ie Black Sabbath played in Db Standard in the early days because of Iommi's fake fingertips)
Right on guys thank you.

I'm probably looking at getting some heavier strings for this correct?

What effect does this have on the neck?
Quote by Will K.
and new tunings are always fun to play with and experiment to see what you can come up with...because things do indeed sound 'nastier' with a lower tuning (ie Black Sabbath played in Db Standard in the early days because of Iommi's fake fingertips)

Was it not Eb standard?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
^ no, if i remember correctly, i saw an interview once and he said that they played in really low tuning because his hand couldn't handle the tension of normal tuning
@OP: if you get the right gauge strings, the neck should hold about the same tension because when you drop tuning but increase string gauge the lack of tension is made up by the increase.
Actually Black Sabbath and Paranoid were all recorded in E standard. Master of Reality, most of Volume 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath were mostly C#. Most of the Dio stuff is Eb.
I stepped upon the platform, the man gave me the news
He said, "You must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?"
Quote by jordanzio
standard c will play just like standard e except each note will be down 2 semitones lower than normal. as far as physical fingerings they would be the same. amon amarth plays in b standard so that would be 3 steps lower than e. standard tunings are all the same as regular e (as far as playing powerchords etc). drop tuningsplay differently allowing you to barre the first three string to play a powerchord.

Heee... isnt it 4?
E->Eb->D->Db->C
Yep, it's the same fingering. I play in C standard with .11 - .56 strings, they work for me. Everything sounds so much better in C standard
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by LordPino
Yep, it's the same fingering. I play in C standard with .11 - .56 strings, they work for me. Everything sounds so much better in C standard

That's awesome. Thanks. I'm going to set up a guitar like that and see how she sounds
Quote by Bowhunt
That's awesome. Thanks. I'm going to set up a guitar like that and see how she sounds

I love the way it sounds. Not many bands actually play in C standard, but when I play along with songs I just change the pitch of the song to C standard with Audacity

If you don't want to go through all the 'trouble' of pitch shifting, here's a few bands that actually use the tuning:
Arch Enemy, In Flames, Carcass, Spiritual Beggars, Behemoth, Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age..
That should do for now! Have fun!
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Quote by Wisthekiller
And Dethklok. Sometimes Children of Bodom use it as well.

Do they? I know they did C# on Something Wild, all the rest is D standard or drop C right?
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M