Page 1 of 2
If aliens exist, as advanced as we are (or more), what do you think their music would sound like, I assume they would have a form of drums, because that's really the most primal instrument IMO, (as well as vocals), so what kind of instruments or music would they have, do you think?
Sing me to sleep.
I DO NOT KNOW...

Perhaps they'd appreciate microtonal music more.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Obviously they would all listen to progressive dubsteb sludge reggae
you're a stone fox
Quote by Ichikurosaki
the concept of music is a human one

prove me wrong

You don't see flamingos forming quartets

Birdsong?
Quote by Ichikurosaki

prove me wrong

This flamingo just formed a quartet last week.

Suck it, you feather-free freak.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by Ichikurosaki

prove me wrong

There, bitch.
Sing me to sleep.
Aliens might not have music. Which would actually be great, because
WE CAN TEACH THEM HOW TO ROCK

Quote by devourke
Birds have a concept of music which they use to communicate.

You can't prove me wrong. Eric_Fail, behind_you, and that other guy all play guitar and are birds.

Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Last edited by McTodd at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by Ichikurosaki
as humans we apply the concept of music to it

they're just telling each other to **** off or something

You can't prove me wrong. Eric_Fail, behind_you, and that other guy all play guitar and are birds.
I've heard the Alien's music. It's called mariachi and it uses way too many guitars.
Quote by devourke

don't forget that pigeon guy who plays tuba.

also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPf-MRKITg
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Ichikurosaki

prove me wrong

what about birds? or dogs howling together? or like, any communal or communicative activity that animals do? Singing is the basic form of communication. (Its believed that speech actually developed from singing)

If a species is going to reach any level of technological development it needs to be able to work together, and form a civilisation. So I'm sure that dance music would still be the essential type of music as it is one that people do with each other. And improvisation would be important too. So probably the music wouldn't be so different, its hard to not work with rhythm and pitch as your main points. But maybe they don't have joints and legs, so the rhythms would be way different, or they would respond to the pitch instead.

I guess what would be interesting and where there would be most divergence between civilisations is where and how technology would be used. Computers obviously open a lot of possibilities for musicians but we still basically rely on our traditions in pitch and rythm. As their traditions would be different, their equivalent "modern" era would have probably the most extremely different music to another planets.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Isn't Satch an alien?
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by Hereiwas
what about birds? or dogs howling together? or like, any communal or communicative activity that animals do? Singing is the basic form of communication. (Its believed that speech actually developed from singing)

If a species is going to reach any level of technological development it needs to be able to work together, and form a civilisation. So I'm sure that dance music would still be the essential type of music as it is one that people do with each other. And improvisation would be important too. So probably the music wouldn't be so different, its hard to not work with rhythm and pitch as your main points. But maybe they don't have joints and legs, so the rhythms would be way different, or they would respond to the pitch instead.

I guess what would be interesting and where there would be most divergence between civilisations is where and how technology would be used. Computers obviously open a lot of possibilities for musicians but we still basically rely on our traditions in pitch and rythm. As their traditions would be different, their equivalent "modern" era would have probably the most extremely different music to another planets.

Did you say that because YOU believe it, or do actual real peopl believe it? I've never heard anything like that, could you point me to some sources? (It's kinda my thing)
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by Hereiwas
wall of text

I hoped all the posts would be like this.

Sing me to sleep.
If the aliens are an aquatic race they'd probably use Glass Harmonicas and Aquaphones
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
On the subject of birds: I'm a ****ing rockstar duck. Bite me.

butsrsly, I believe it's very unlikely aliens don't exist, and if they do like music, it would probably seem very dissonant to us, and more based on subtlety and contrast between notes.

Quote by LordPino
Isn't Satch an alien?

No, but he did surf with one.
Last edited by TextOnTheScreen at Nov 12, 2011,
I'm actually waiting for the Lyre birds to take over the music industry.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
I think that their movements would be some form of music. Like wind chimes.
Well, since all living creatures on this planet alone hears differently, I assume that alien music will sounds like noise to the human ear.
If Steven Spielberg says that aliens have the capacity to learn music, then damnit, aliens have music!

Maybe it's just my typical selfish human-beingness bleeding through, but I would expect any type of intelligent being to understand, at least, the concept of music. But I guess that's impossible to know at this point?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
If the aliens are as advanced as us, then they most certainly have music. Monkeys are closely related to us, and they have a sense of rhythm and can synchronize their vocalizations in some sort of arrangement.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by Ichikurosaki

prove me wrong

vocal duets in birds?
Quote by McTodd
Did you say that because YOU believe it, or do actual real peopl believe it? I've never heard anything like that, could you point me to some sources? (It's kinda my thing)

Totes true my friend. Don't feel like finding sources, but really is one of the theories for how human speech developed.

Also, I believe the person you quoted counts as an actual real person.
I wish I could tell you, dog, but I heard it form a friend who is studying Language...
Also, I hope someone posted the Close Encounters synth battle. That's bad ass.

Did anyone hear the album Scrambles From Earth ( I think it's called) which was supposed to be that some aliens had found the Voyager 1 album and remixed it? It mostly sucked on account of the composers being too intentionally avant-garde or whatever, but there were some really cool bits. One of them was played as it would sound in a much denser atmosphere, so the sound was very muddy and slowed down. So perhaps atmospheric conditions would affect their techniques? Like they would have to play comparatively superfast to play at a danceable tempo? Though I guess they wouldn't notice the difference?

Hmm, so many questions, so few of them important.

edit: *tips hat to angusfan*
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Last edited by Hereiwas at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by eyalcisv
Well, since all living creatures on this planet alone hears differently, I assume that alien music will sounds like noise to the human ear.

This makes sense.
Quote by theogonia777
well yeah, of course we already know that...

...cause i already posted that song in this thread.

Oh....

well...

I guess my work here is done

Quote by theogonia777
well yeah, of course we already know that...

...cause i already posted that song in this thread.

.....shit. >.>
Sail upon the open skies
humans are the only animals that appreciate or identify music because we are the only animals with an advanced enough ability to recognize patterns. all music is simply patterns
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by Ichikurosaki

prove me wrong

because they're not intelligent in that manner
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Page 1 of 2