Well that screechy sound just happened on my Peavey Valveking 100Watt Head, so I think one of the tubes has gone(not sure if its pre-amp or regular, if someone could tell me which that would be wonderful). I think the amp has all of its original tubes still, which I believe to be EL34(or something like that. Again, clarification would be much appreciated). I don't know anything about what the pre-amp tubes that come with the valveking, so if anyone could tell me that would be nice. I need new tubes I think. Suggestions would be wonderful(I play modern rock, and I need a tone where I can hear every note in a chord clearly when overdriven).

tl;dr(in case this was too lengthy for anyone): I need new tubes. What should I get?
sounds like you need to buuy 3 new pre amp tubes. Not that they are all bad, it is probably just 1, but it is always nice to have pares. JJ 12ax7's will work fine for you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
sounds like you need to buuy 3 new pre amp tubes. Not that they are all bad, it is probably just 1, but it is always nice to have pares. JJ 12ax7's will work fine for you.

I like the Electro Harmonix 12ax7's. Their a little grittier when pushed with an OD which I liked. But yes you need new preamp tubes.
I don't know EXACTLY how much tubes affect tone, but which will get me closer to a sound that lets each note in a chord be defined?
JJs should do just fine as modern production tubes.

Most people dig the sound of Winged C EL34s

Quote by Tyler.Allain
I like the Electro Harmonix 12ax7's. Their a little grittier when pushed with an OD which I liked. But yes you need new preamp tubes.

EHX are rebrands...

Quote by Dio10101
I don't know EXACTLY how much tubes affect tone, but which will get me closer to a sound that lets each note in a chord be defined?

How much money are you willing to spend?
Valvekings use 6L6's, no?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I wouldn't put a NOS in a VK. Go for all JJs. Order from Doug's Tubes or Eurotubes.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
We all wish we were.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
I wouldn't put a NOS in a VK. Go for all JJs. Order from Doug's Tubes or Eurotubes.

All JJs will make it very dark. The VK is already a somewhat dark amp on its own.

However, my own experience with a Valveking suggests a Tung-Sol 12AX7 will make it a bit harsh. I'd run the following:

JJ 12AX7 V1
Mullard 12AX7 V2
JAN Philips 5751 or Penta 12AT7 V3

Don't be afraid to swap around preamp tubes to experiment either. They're fairly cheap and it can be a good way to get a precise tone out of an amp.

As for power tubes you will want to run JJ 6L6GCs or Tube Amp Doctor 6L6GCs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??