Hey guys. So Christmas is coming up soon so i think i'm going to ask for some new pickups for my Schecter Damien 6. This is a basswood guitar with a bolt on maple neck, rosewood fretboard. It's probably the best feeling guitar I have so i'm putting some money into it to make a bit more "professional" (new pickups, locking tuners, possibly new nut and bridge as well). So here's my problem's with the passive EMGs..

Not enough clarity. I play and write mostly metalcore and groove metal, as well as hard rock with some metal influence (Breaking Benjamin, A Day To Remember, Chevelle, Killswitch Engage, Alter Bridge). I've noticed that especially when playing a lot of metal riffs the note definition is pretty bad.

I'm playing through a Peavey Vypyr 75 for now but will hopefully be upgrading to the Tube 60 when i have some money coming in from my band.

Budget is around $150 for the set.

I've mainly been looking at:
Dimarzio D-Activators (regular and X versions)
Dimarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire combo
Seymour Duncan Blackouts (might be able to get them used, i know that it would require more work to install actives)

I've also been looking at a few cheaper brands like Dragonfire and GFS. Should i just ignore these and stick to some of the bigger brands? Anyone know any set's that would be able to pull off these tones reasonably well? Or at least be able to point me in the proper direction? Thanks in advance!
The D activators should do just fine, sound quite nice in basswood too. I have blackouts and obviously they nail the metalcore tone very well, just depends whether you want to put the effort into installing them- new pots, jack, putting a 9v battery in.
I have a guitar with passive EMGs on it. At one time, I had plans to change pickups on it, but now I have a better guitar I want to upgrade.

I looked at a lot of pickups, and I could recommend a few.

SD Full Shred: Sounded really clear, (they use the word "articulate" on the site) but might be a bit harsh too.

SD George Lynch Screamin' Demon: It has more of a melodic tone. I don't really know how to describe it better that that.

DiMarzio D-Activators: I was looking at this too!

DiMarzio Evolution 1 & 2: Not sure which one I would go for, but seems like a good investment to me for doing metal.

I think the George Lynch one would probably be a bit more expensive than the rest, probably like >$100 or something. Any one of these may be a good choice, but maybe the Full Shred would be more harsh than you're looking for.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
I've tried the Blackouts before and love them. Just wondering if there is a set of passives that would work too. I'm wanting to try something a little different i guess. Also, is there a noticable difference between the D activators and the X series? I'm also curious how the Petrucci set compares to the other two sets. I would try to test them out but most shops around here are Fender dealerships and don't have quite what i'm looking for.

EDIT: Yeah, i was looking at the Evo's as well, but every band or artist i have heard use it doesn't quite fit what i'm playing. If i could hear them playing something besides neoclassical shred or Dragonforce i would give them more consideration, as i can't try before i buy
Last edited by shecter guy at Nov 12, 2011,
I have a Schecter Omen 6 (very similar to what you have). I upgraded to Dimarzio D-Activators, and I absolutely love them. Fantastic pickups, both for high gain, very heavy metal, and for clean stuff and smooth leads. A great set all around. Between the Buried and Me uses them, and they cover a huge range of music, so that should let you know all the different things the D-Activators can do. For locking tuners I would suggest Schaller and Grover locking tuners.
thanks! D-activators are looking like the top choice, unless i can grab some Blackouts for dirt cheap. But has anyone tried the Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo? I've heard a lot of great things about them so i'm curious as to how they compare.
I'll throw in a vote for normal EMG's. It really doesn't get any better than that when it comes to clarity. And pretty much all of the bands you listed use them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i've had the EMGs before. I like them, but i want something different. if i went actice, i would either be going for Blackouts or the Dave Mustaine Live Wires.
I see. In that case, I'll recommend the D-Activator/Liquifire combo.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I'll throw in a vote for normal EMG's. It really doesn't get any better than that when it comes to clarity. And pretty much all of the bands you listed use them.

I've got a C1 hell raiser with active EMG's. however, i don't know how well they would work for your guitar. mine is a solid mahogany body. a very heavy tone wood. the basswood just might not work quite right for it. but, i don't know a ton about that kind of thing either way. all i know is most metal guitars are made from mahogany.

the crunch lab/liquifier combo are a pretty sweet setup and i intend on putting them into an ibanez rg premium when i get it for christmas.

so the pettrucci set has my vote
so update, a friend offered to sell me a set of D-Activators in exchange for my EMG HZs and $40. So i will probably get these. With the money leftover in the budget, i'll probably also be buying some locking tuners, and if the money is left over a Graph Tech nut. Thanks for all the opinions and advice! Hopefully i'll pick the Petrucci set up for a strat copy i have laying around. Thanks guys!
Emg x series 85/60 set.

It is a few dollars over budget., but sounds like the regular eggs with the 18v mod. Lots of clarity, and lots of power. Very natural sounding, yet can brootz your socks off