I've been playing for roughly 7 years and I've been in bands, but I've never been responsible for recording myself until now. I don't know much about it at all, as you can tell. I have an SM57 and plan on picking up an SM58 as well. I'd like to be able to record the instruments myself, one by one, but if possible also record a five person band playing live. I have a Macbook with audacity. I'm not sure what other information you need.

I'm not looking for "proffessional" recording quality necessarily, in my eyes the quality of something like The Horror's Primary Colours or Arcade Fire's Funeral are near perfect, but a lot of the albums I'm listening to and emulating aren't even that good (The Strokes, White Stripes, Youth Lagoon, ect). If I could get anywhere close to touching at home then that's what I'm looking for, if I can only do demo's at home then I'll live with that. My budget is $300-400, if I don't need much more but I can get the quality on those albums, then tell me I guess. Sorry that I really don't know anything about this, I looked at the sticky but I was still left with questions. Thanks to all
The short answer is interface.

That said, you could maybe use a mixer to record your whole group playing together through a mixer into an interface and from that into your computer, but if you plan on doing it one at a time, you're best getting a good USB interface.

From what I know about mics, if you've got an SM57 you don't need an SM58 because their frequency response and just about everything else are the same (I'll check that).
*queue Gary*
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Thanks. From the sounds of it then I'll probably end up getting a good USB interface, and if it becomes apparent I'll be recording a band I can always invest in a mixer later. So then, within the $300-400 range, what would some good USB interfaces be? Or would I be best just making another thread about that specifically.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, your Macbook should have a FireWire port on it and that interface is the better than most twice its price.

$360 B-Stock on eBay with full warranty
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ssaulniere
Thanks. From the sounds of it then I'll probably end up getting a good USB interface, and if it becomes apparent I'll be recording a band I can always invest in a mixer later. So then, within the $300-400 range, what would some good USB interfaces be? Or would I be best just making another thread about that specifically.

I strongly recommend the Zoom R16.

It's an audio interface with 8 simultaneous inputs, as well as a standalone multitrack recorder and control surface/mixer (for hands-on mixing on a PC). Sells for about $400.

http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/multi-track-recorders/r16/
Quote by Twistedrock
*queue Gary*

I assume that's aimed at me and you're laughing because I tell the truth about there being more than one option when looking to get into recording? I think you'll notice I wasn't the first person to suggest a multitracker in this thread.

TS - as Kyle said, the Zoom R16 is a good option for you as you'll be able to use it as an interface for recording yourself at home and it's nice & portable for when you want to take it out to use for other band practices.

Other multitrackers on the market are also worth looking into as they would mean you don't have to rely on linking up to your Mac when you're ready to create the final mix, but if you're specifically wanting to do that then at the moment the Zoom is the best option.

Kit which works solely as an interface is usually another option, but if you're wanting the portability to be able to take to band practices, gigs etc they probably aren't suitable in this instance.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Nov 13, 2011,
So with the Zoom am I bound to the computer or could I link the thing to a mixer and use that to mix as well?
Quote by ssaulniere
So with the Zoom am I bound to the computer or could I link the thing to a mixer and use that to mix as well?

I'd suggest reading up on it in more detail.

It's a 3-in-1 comination of an audio interface (gets sound in/out of the PC), control surface (use it as a mixing desk with computer recording software) and a standalone recorder (take it anywhere and record to SD card with no PC or anything else needed).
Quote by ssaulniere

See previous answers for the Zoom, it does pretty much everything.

If you don't want to be bound to your computer, you may prefer a dedicated multitracker. I use a Tascam 2488 and for me it does an excellent job from start to finish without needing the PC, but if you go that route and get to a point where you find you need to use something it doesn't provide you can still export your recorded track to a PC to create the final mix, but it doesn't act as an interface or control surface (unless there's something in the manual I haven't found yet...)
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud