I really dont have much idea about this but, what would I need to be able to record the guitars, basses, drums etc? as in software, interfaces etc?
Gear

Ibanez RGD320
BC Rich Bich
JimDeacon SG
Fender Mustang II
listen to the songs on my profile. All of them except The Offspring and Metallica songs were recorded in a small room with the built-in mic on my iMac or my macbook pro and mixed using garageband. I just recorded all the instruments seperately. Fade to Black was the first thing I have ever recorded and I didn't know how to tweak stuff and The Kids Aren't Alright was done with a Line 6 UX2 and mixed with GarageBand.
Computer with a DAW (Pro Tools, Reaper, Logic, etc)
Interface (Presonus is pretty good on budget)
Maybe one or two decent mic-preamps (API or Neve if you can afford it)
XLR Cables. Don't forget these.
Mics, depending on your application, and your budget.
Might also wanna throw in some stands for the mics

EDIT: If you're decent with computers, you could just record your guitars Line-In to your computer, use Amplitube or something similar to recreate a decent sound, and program your drums via MIDI
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
how much would this normally cost?
Gear

Ibanez RGD320
BC Rich Bich
JimDeacon SG
Fender Mustang II
What kind of quality do you want/need? (share with friends quality; radio quality; etc.)

Do you need to record the whole band playing at once, or would you be cool with just recording, say, the drums first, and then layering everything over top?

What do you have NOW as a starting point - computer, microphones, etc.

It *can* cost anywhere from a couple hundred dollars or so to "the sky is the limit", so if you gave us a budget, that would be helpful.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.