Lately I've been wanting to learn arpeggio's (They're the thing I've never really took the time to understand and try and learn.) and I found the basic CAGED shapes and picked one and tried to apply it over a chord but it sounded bad.

I've been learning on Justinguitar and he recommended learning the Dom7th apreggio first and I learned the shaped but I don't know what chord to play it over?
http://www.justinguitar.com/images/AR_images/Arp-Dom7-A.gif

I play it so the root is the 5th fret D on the Astring and tried it over a D7 chord but it doesn't sound right, is it just me?
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
if the root is the fifth fret D string then the chord will be a G7 try it over that

Sorry my bad didn't read properly.

if it is on the fifth fret A string it is in fact a D7. I can't think why it would sound bad because you're playing the same notes that are in the chord.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by 20Tigers
if the root is the fifth fret D string then the chord will be a G7 try it over that

Nah, fifth on the A string, the D.

EDIT, I just noticed it's kinda confusing how I typed it, haha.... sorry about that.
Current Gear:
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Last edited by unicornfist at Nov 12, 2011,
Just make sure tha the notes in the arpeggio are the same as the notes in the chord. For D dominant 7, thats D F# A C. The arpeggio and chord should both only contain these notes, otherwise, your not playing the right chord under the right arpeggio. If the notes are the same, it's probably a tuning or intonation issue. Failing that, It could just be the dissonant interval between F# and C that's throwing your ear off.... so try it with a regular major arpeggio over a regular major chord.
Sorry i picked up my mistake right after posting. Where is your D7 coming from that you're playing over? Are you sure it's a D7? is there any note in particular that doesn't sound right?

(maybe dumb questino you haven't tuned down half a step and playing to a standard tuning or anything?)
Si
I'm in standard and I'm using a loop pedal to lay down what I'm playing over. The chord I'm play is:

x
x

I think maybe pmce could be right with the tension between the two notes.
Current Gear:
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Man, the chord you're playing isn't a D7- like mdc said, shift it back a fret. a D7 would be

x
x
Quote by unicornfist
I'm in standard and I'm using a loop pedal to lay down what I'm playing over. The chord I'm play is:

x
x

I think maybe pmce could be right with the tension between the two notes.

Sure is. It would create a series of minor second intervals. Nice.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 13, 2011,
Guys I accidentally wrote the chord wrong but I assure you I was playing it right. (The D7)

Anyways, I tried it again and I do think the tension between the F# and C.
Current Gear:
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV