I have a Breedlove D25/SRe acoustic guitar, and I keep breaking strings. I recently changed brands to Martin Lifespan, and I just broke the Low D.. But it's not broken like it snapped on a bend or something, it looks like the outer coating snapped off near the bridge, but the whole string is still intact without any sort of tightness. And idea why this might be happening? I use medium picks as well, if that has anything to do with it.
sounds like you got a bad string - that does happen once in a while. if you never had this problem with your old strings, you might want to email martin and see if they'll send you a new string.

btw, the low D string? there's only 1 D string in standard tuning.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
It has happened previously with different brands, which is why I was wondering if it had to do with the thickness of my picks (I use Dunlop Mediums)..

And you're right, I just meant the D string, don't really know how the word "low" got in there
do you pick harder on the D string? i would think that if you pick hard, you'd break the higher strings first. if the strings break near the saddle, there could be a little sharp spot in the saddle that's responsible. or perhaps it could be an issue with the pinless bridge.

btw, my husband uses 2mm to 3mm picks, and has rarely broken a string in 25 years of playing - it's not about pick thickness but about control.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!