Hey guys,

I'm thinking about ripping the finish off my Marshall 1960A cab revealing the wood-texture underneath. I think it would look really cool...what do you guys think?
I guess I'd have to apply some kind of varnish to protect the wood against stains 'n stuff.

Someone who's done this already?
Last edited by Kriptonite_r at Nov 12, 2011,
There is a lot of sticky glue directly on the wood holding the vinyl from bubbling. Bad idea imho. Build your own cab if you want too see the wood so badly.
-Jake Blackwood
If it helps, there are plans available online to reproduce a 1960a, Ive built one out of MDF. Mine has a few different dimensions though, I wanted mine a tad narrower (ie we stuffed up when cutting lol). I intend to cover mine in a snake skin tolex and have a chunky looking gold coloured metal grille. Ive got a thread on here but I havent finished it off cos I havent found some decent yet cheap speakers yet. For what its worth, its cost about 100 bux to build without speakers.
i need to do mine, i'm thinking of getting it done with some white tolex
Not only for the other reasons mentioned, but also keep in mind that the wood used in these cabinets with it being covered in mind. It probably doesn't look as good as you think it should.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Arent the marshalls made of crappy looking ply? Ive never seen a skinned one before.
Quote by dazza027
Arent the marshalls made of crappy looking ply? Ive never seen a skinned one before.

Pretty much, all of the cabinets are...

Wood that looks good on its own is expensive, even plywood. To keep costs down and maximize profits, all of the cab companies use material that is sturdy, but doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing on its own. Plywood or Particle board. It's going to be covered anyway, so it doesn't need to look good, it just needs to be structurally sound.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!