i play bass and would like to make guitar riffs over my bassline. I play mostly improve and would like to add improve onto my basslines, but i dont know a lick about chords.

what i was wondering was

if im playing a G standard jazz scale what chords could i play in rhythm to a bass soloing there or playing a melody

i like to keep my songs simple in key to allow for easy freestyling im just wondering how chords fit into jazz scales i guess? if anyone can help
not sure what you are referring to as a "standard jazz scale" - this could be several different scale types- i would be happy to discuss this with you but need you to clarify that 1st bit. also- although it can be reconciled the way you are asking this is sort of a reverse type approach. usually you would have your chords and then figure out what scales will work with them. the short answer is that the 2 need to contain notes in common.if you are trying to put chords over a scale or scalar type line- try harmonizing the scale or line with chords that are made up of the same notes of whatever scale is being used at the time. ill give more specific examples once you provide more specific info about what you are talking about.
iI think you have this backward? as far as I know scales fit into keys not the other way around but I could be wrong. I'm not great with theory.
this is the scale im thinking of, sry i dont know shit about scales
E14
A123
D13

is the scale i practice with the most i also practice with major scales

E13
A013
D023

what chords do these scales have to do with

i dont care where they are located on the guitar i just used E as an example

i dont know much about music theory i just freestyle with those 2 scales mostly over drums and want to know the best way to right rythm guitar over it

thx in advance
G, Aminor, E minor, Bminor, C, D, D7 are all in key of G.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
First one looks like blues scale, which is a modification of a minor pentatonic, second one is just a major scale. Obviously they will work over power chords where the root note of the power chord is the note the scale is starting on, but you can get fancier with it too. Quick lesson in theory:

Keys have chord progressions. Chord progressions are important because they tell you what scales will work over what chords. The chords omidmash mentioned are all in the key of G. What does that mean? It means you can play notes from the G major, A minor, E minor, B minor etc. all over each chord in that key and it won't sound wrong (or in your case you can look at it the other way around). What makes a scale "Gmajor, Aminor" etc.? All that means is it's a major scale or a minor scale that starts on that note. Tada! you can improv now.
thx i get what ur saying but i dont no shit about chords so i dont know what those chords are that u mentioned, im just gonna stop bein a dope and hit up my university library and do some reading tomorrow

too much physical training
not enuf mental training
error error
calluses busted open while brain is locked close
Last edited by Cubertt at Nov 12, 2011,