i suck at guitar, ive had a cheap acoustic since i think the beginning of 09 or the end of 08, all i remember about when i got it is that it was a friday and on that friday i had someone from england teach me what powerchords are. i practiced a little i guess, i got chords down and learned the intro to crazy on you (not the solo, the little riff thing). i guess i stopped for a while, but at the beginning of 2010 i started again.

i practiced barre chords, got those down pretty quick and i dont recall much of what i learned here but i do know it wasn't a lot at all.

at the end of 2010 i picked up the guitar again and played songs like ramona by beck, little sister by qotsa, a lot of QOTSA actually, but i never got down the solos or bothered to learn scales because i honestly didnt know where to start.

now i have an electric guitar, epiphone SG, and i just paid 63 dollars to get it set up. the action was really high. anyway, i got it back today, picked it up, practiced some warpaint (i can play a bit of bees, elephants, and undertow), qotsa (if only, river in the road, running joke), i can play other things i just don't remember them off the top of my head.

and after about 20 minutes i got insanely bored. then i got annoyed at myself because i want to be a good guitarist but i have no clue where to start. i cruise these boards a lot, not posting, just lurking, but i look for in particular people like me who have no clue what to do other than learn songs they like. i came across something called the "3 year hump", someone said its the worst part of guitar playing and well here i am approaching the third year.

i want to learn to play and be great like, specifically, jamie hince, alain johannes and theresa wayman. but i don't really know where to start except scales, and i don't know which ones to learn or what to do with them.

i like bands like QOTSA, the kills, warpaint, the walkmen, generally shoegaze, alternative, hard rock and indie, so i don't play metal at all and haven't developed anything related to the metal playing technique.

so yeah, help, please?
Watch the following video the whole way through and tell me that you don't want to try out some jazz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7yRuqa81zU

For me, jazz was a great place to start with theory and now I have a new love for guitar even though I'm currently learning some jazz but I've gone back to learning a song I gave up on a while back (Bloodmeat - Protest the Hero)
I'm not sure how you can say you've reached the "3-year hump" when you've only practiced sporadically.

You need to find your motivation. Can you afford an instructor? If so, you're the type who benefits from having someone teach you one-on-one. An instructor will challenge you. You will be expected to come back the following week and perform the lesson. If you cannot afford an instructor, there are plenty of online sites with free lessons you can take. I'd recommend you check out some of those.
learn the pentatonic scale in A, then play over most of your favorite songs!
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Take lessons.

Honestly, three or six months of lessons can give you a really solid grounding to help get you in the place you need to be to learn better on your own.

Catch-as-you-catch lessons picked up online are not the same as making a commitment to working with an instructor in a structured way for a couple of months.
You are on around month 3 of that 3 year hump..

Get your motivations sorted out and polish your discipline.

If you want to be a good guitarist you have to make a serious effort
and you really dont strike me as someone who has the adequate attitude/mentality.

i suggest you search for a teacher, browse around on youtube and stick to one you like.
or get in real life lessons
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 12, 2011,
yeah, if you wana be great you have to put the work in and do the boring stuff, just the way it is. Just try to keep the end result in mind. And try practicing things you typically wouldnt play or listen to, get out of your comfort zone that may help.
No offense man but you just sound like you want to be good without putting any effort in, I've been playing for 2 years strait now and I still play daily for at least 1-2 hours and enjoy every minute of it.

I still suck and have a long way to go but guitar isn't something you can just step in and out of for weeks/months at a time and expect to continually getting better, pros play on a daily basis to keep themselves sharp or learn new techniques. If you stop practicing your skills drop off tremendously, and it's much harder to re-gain your skills then it is to loose them.

If you're getting bored of practice try changing what type of music your playing or even try writing something yourself.
i don't take anything you guys say offensively, harsh advice is needed for motivation and i am one lazy kid
Quote by TwilightNG
i don't take anything you guys say offensively, harsh advice is needed for motivation and i am one lazy kid

Admitting the problem is the first step to defeating it. The fact is, if you want something bad enough, you'll make it happen. Not to make you feel bad, but I work 8 hours M - F, plus take Jazz guitar and piano lessons once a week. Like someone else mentioned, I also play guitar and piano for a couple of hours every night after work. I'm well past the 3-year doldrums and absolutely love coming home each night and sitting down to play. Why do I love playing each night? Because I possess a strong desire to improve my skill.

How bad do you want it?
This site really helped me get a basic understanding of the fretboard.
http://www.theorylessons.com/

You need to lose the negative additude and find your own way to stay motivated. Wether it be listening/learning a wider range of music, playing with other musicians or whatever. How hard you work at it and how often you practice is the key. It's like this for everybody.
Quote by conor-figgy
Watch the following video the whole way through and tell me that you don't want to try out some jazz.

Yes!
My buddy picked up guitar right after me, we are pretty much rivals at whatever we do so I'm pretty lucky that I almost started out with that. But we constantly compete for superiority in our band so it's a good way for me to stay motivated. Someone plays a epic rift one week, the next he gets 1 uped and the cycle continues!

But if you can find anyone to jam with you should try it, you can always take away something from playing with other people. Just don't get to into the rivalry or rub there face in the dirt (so to speak), it can get you in trouble if your not careful lol XD
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Nov 13, 2011,
Quote by mdc
Yes!

Thank you! I found that video two days ago and I can't stop watching it.
Quote by conor-figgy

For me, jazz was a great place to start with theory and now I have a new love for guitar even though I'm currently learning some jazz but I've gone back to learning a song I gave up on a while back (Bloodmeat - Protest the Hero)

Not at all..

Jazz is amazing, it sounds great, musically speaking it is extraordinary and it requieres some serious chops ans skills, but it doesnt please my soul at all.. just my ears
would kill for their knowledge and skills, but never use them like that.

You have a good point one should start with that which inspires one most and build on it.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
alright i know a day is probably too soon to be all "whoa i completely changed" but after finding what i even picked up the guitar for all those years ago and rereading some of the advice you guys had about really wanting it and not being lazy i got extremely motivated today.

i set up practice time, im going to start with at least 2 hours a day, the first 30 "warming up" with chords, scales and finger exercises, the next 30 practicing new techniques and songs i already know, and an hour on songs or a song i want to learn. i think this is a pretty good schedule. i cant really offer more of my time as i am falling behind in school and am an "art major", im in AP art and 2 projects are due and i haven't started either of them.

thanks for the advice, the harsh words really put my goal with the guitar in perspective. i want to be great like jamie hince, i know he's definitely not the best but his style of playing, the whole thumb over the neck and "finger picking" to play the bass and lead guitar at the same time (he does this on many songs) really impresses me. plus the music's great lol
Quote by Slashiepie
Not at all..

Jazz is amazing, it sounds great, musically speaking it is extraordinary and it requieres some serious chops ans skills, but it doesnt please my soul at all.. just my ears
would kill for their knowledge and skills, but never use them like that.

You have a good point one should start with that which inspires one most and build on it.

Haha! That's kinda how I feel about blues, I love it but I generally hate playing it.

Quote by TwilightNG
the whole thumb over the neck and "finger picking" to play the bass and lead guitar at the same time (he does this on many songs) really impresses me. plus the music's great lol

Hey, if that's what you like please check this out! (and my earlier link )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjQv52Nzno
Last edited by conor-figgy at Nov 13, 2011,
Quote by conor-figgy
Haha! That's kinda how I feel about blues, I love it but I generally hate playing it.

Hey, if that's what you like please check this out! (and my earlier link )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjQv52Nzno

oh sorry i never did tell you i did check out the above, and i do like the technique but im not as crazy about jazz as i am about blues and most of all spanish styles, im talking dead combo and carlos paredes. i do appreciate joe pass' finger picking style, it reminds me of carlos a lot.
Having a friend who also plays guitar and likes the same music as you no matter what skill level is fun... A little competition never hurt.

Also it helps to have a positive attitude towards your skill level. Telling your self that you are utterly crap is stupid and will not help you in anyway.
I wouldn't say it's that bad, your giving yourself constructive criticism and really are you ever to good at guitar? I know I'm bad which is why I still push myself to play better and practice, 10 years down the road I could be a shred monster and still probably think I'm garbage.