Page 1 of 2
All I see on youtube these days are comments about how this comedian or that comedian is better and more talented than other comedians that curse a lot during their routines. To me, this logic really doesn't make sense, and to say that the frequency of cursing in stand-up comedy routines determines talent levels or quality in comedy is just ridiculous. Others will say that clean comedians make a conscious effort to avoid cursing and end up being just as funny as those comedians who "depend on" cursing, thus elevating the clean comedians to a higher and more respectable status.

Now that you know my opinion and thought process, I'll stop there. So what does the Pit think? Do you admire comedians who don't curse more than comedians that do? Why? Why not?
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
I don't give a shit really. Sean Lock swears a fair bit and he's hilarious.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

It's more about the psychological effect use of a certain word has on the joke. The words used in a joke are important, as the wrong phrasing could ruin it. Sometimes a swearword is appropriate. Other times, it is not. The mark of a good comedian is knowing when it's appropriate.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
That guy in the ballcap nodding gif needs to go away.

OT: I don't care that much, it's not really something I notice tbh, unless it's excessive.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by Carnivean
All I see on youtube these days are comments about how this comedian or that comedian is better and more talented than other comedians that curse a lot during their routines. To me, this logic really doesn't make sense, and to say that the frequency of cursing in stand-up comedy routines determines talent levels or quality in comedy is just ridiculous. Others will say that clean comedians make a conscious effort to avoid cursing and end up being just as funny as those comedians who "depend on" cursing, thus elevating the clean comedians to a higher and more respectable status.

Now that you know my opinion and thought process, I'll stop there. So what does the Pit think? Do you admire comedians who don't curse more than comedians that do? Why? Why not?

Two people.

Louis C.K.
George Carlin

Your argument is invalid.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
To be honest, it is *very* difficult to make something funny when it is vulgar. At least, vulgarity usually becomes either old, annoying or just unfunny, really fast, and not just in comedy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to be offended when somebody says "Bull knockers" on TV; I just prefer Gabriel Iglesias or Colin Mochrie to George Carlin or Bill Hicks as they actually seem to concentrate on their act more than on shock value. Not saying the latter two aren't making their acts funny, they just seem to rely on the same things too often to the point that it gets boring. Yes, Iglesias swears sometimes, but the act could be profanity-less and it would be considered just as funny.

Long story short, I'll still watch South Park sometimes, but I prefer the Simpsons

Personal opinion.

Yes, I just said George Carlin wasn't that funny. Come at me brethren.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
Quote by Banjocal
It's more about the psychological effect use of a certain word has on the joke. The words used in a joke are important, as the wrong phrasing could ruin it. Sometimes a swearword is appropriate. Other times, it is not. The mark of a good comedian is knowing when it's appropriate.

Agree there.

When they overuse swearwords, they tend to loose their impact.
i think you should stop listening to what youtube comments point out
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
It'll get annoying fast if every other word is a curse word, but every once in a while is fine.

Quote by laid-to-waste

Also, this.
Last edited by 37 Narwhals at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by thefuzz454
That guy in the ballcap nodding gif needs to go away.

OT: I don't care that much, it's not really something I notice tbh, unless it's excessive.

This. It doesn't even make sense, especially when you use it in response to every thread.

Quote by Trowzaa
I don't give a shit really. Sean Lock swears a fair bit and he's hilarious.

Lol he certainly is.

Anyhoo I find they're either good or crap and it doesn't matter wether they swear more or not, it's just the way some of them are. Personally I couldn't give a f**k if they swore but that's part of my culture and my heritage

Lee Mack doesn't swear much and he's funny, Eddie Izzard doesn't swear much and he's funny, Dylan Morran doesn't swear much and he's funny, Billy Connelly swears a bit and he's funny, Sean Lock as said swears a bit and he's funny. Anyway you get the idea but if you don't like swearing then don't watch but then swearing is fine, it's part of our language and should be used. It's been around for centuries, it's not the words, it's the way you see them that causes the issue.

I really don't liike that guy

I really don't like that f*****g guy

You can see clearly the second one has nore impact, it's more of a definite statement. I think these words have their place just like any others myself.
Last edited by Twidler at Nov 12, 2011,
Swearing is a really important part of one's life. It would be impossible to imagine going through life without swearing and without enjoying swearing... There used to be mad, silly, prissy people who used to say swearing was a sign of a poor vocabulary -such utter nonsense. The people I know who swear the most tend to have the widest vocabularies and the kind of person who says swearing is a sign of a poor vocabulary usually have a pretty poor vocabulary themselves... The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or a lack of verbal interest or -is just a ****ing lunatic... I haven't met anybody who's truly shocked at swearing, really, they're only shocked on behalf of other people. Well, you know, that's preposterous... or they say 'it's not necessary'. As if that should stop one doing it! It's not necessary to have coloured socks, it's not necessary for this cushion to be here, but is anyone going to write in and say 'I was shocked to see that cushion there, it really wasn't necessary'? No, things not being necessary is what makes life interesting -the little extras in life.

Stephen Fry on the joys of swearing. Stephen Fry: Guilty, BBC4, September 8th 2007
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Stand up comedy relies more upon timing than anything else, if a swear seems appropriate at the time and it makes it funnier than it would, what's the worry?

The biggest problem I find is that people don't realise, is that a stand up's routines are usually a character that's playing to the audiences wants or an exaggerated version or themselves who are playing it up.
To quote the brilliant George Carlin:

"Shit, piss, ****, ****, cocksucker, mother****er, and tits"
"There are a lot of people out there who think that I am their worst enemy, and I don't even care if these people exist."-Boyd Rice
I prefer the ones that don't overuse it. Louis CK swears a lot though and he's pretty great. Mitch Hedberg was amazing though too and he didn't swear a lot. Like any tool, can be used wrongly. Still hilarious if done right though.
Swear words are just other words. If you don't give them any power, then they're no different from "clean" words. Swearing almost never effects my opinion of a comedian or person.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Stuff
The issue isn't that swearing is offensive (which is truly not the case here in the 21st century where 12 year-olds yell racist slurs over Xbox live), just that overuse makes it annoying.

You know how annoying it is when you notice that someone constantly says "you know?" or "like" after every second word? Well when it comes to swearing, you realize it right away, at least, with me. But hey, maybe you like the swearing, I'm not discriminating here

Like I said, a perfectly timed swear is better than a spread out swear.

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by devourke

Look, I don't like images being banned. I was a proponent for unbanning The Pear, and I supported Cool Stories from Bros even when they were being discussed of being bannable offenses. I like my images and gifs and all that.

But this one is really starting to bug me, if only because it's asking to be made illegal. Please, to keep it from being banned, cut back?

Anyway, in my personal opinion, there are two ways that swearing in a comedy act can be used for laughs that I see making this sort of claim have some validity- the first is just a "haha he said x" kind-of thing, the sort of laugh that was immature in 10th grade where you're not laughing because there was a clever joke, but because there's a word that's supposed to be "naughty".

The second kind is basically the same thing, but it's a more adult level, where instead of words like damn, shit, hell, crap, ass, etc., it's words like fuck, and some slurs here and there. Again, it's more or less the same thing - it's funny because it's supposed to be naughty, only instead of "naughty", now it's "would get them run out of town if they weren't a comedian" Seriously, some of the stuff you hear billed as comedy makes you wonder why Michael Richards was attacked so vehemently if this is fine and dandy.

I'm not one of those preachy types that thinks language or offensiveness has no place in entertainment. On the contrary, it has plenty of place, as emphasis, to fit a character, where the swear is genuinely a better word(For example, I think ass is a nicer word than butt. It's smoother, rolls off the tongue, and just sounds better. Same for damn), there are plenty of times where it makes sense to swear, in my mind. I think a word's a word, and while certain words you should be careful about to avoid offending due to how others will take it, overall people get too hung up on words.

But similarly, words are words, fuck, hell, damn, ass, shit, crap, piss, et al have no more comedic power than other words, and I just find from my personal experiences as a fan of stand-up comedy that way too many comedians just rely on swearing their ass off for their act rather than making a clever punchline.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by Wolfinator-x
The issue isn't that swearing is offensive (which is truly not the case here in the 21st century where 12 year-olds yell racist slurs over Xbox live), just that overuse makes it annoying.

You know how annoying it is when you notice that someone constantly says "you know?" or "like" after every second word? Well when it comes to swearing, you realize it right away, at least, with me. But hey, maybe you like the swearing, I'm not discriminating here

Like I said, a perfectly timed swear is better than a spread out swear.

did you read the first few lines and ignore the rest or are you that desperate to have your opinion put across that you responded to something that had very little (if anything) to do with what you're saying?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
did you read the first few lines and ignore the rest or are you that desperate to have your opinion put across that you responded to something that had very little (if anything) to do with what you're saying?
I actually was talking about the main point of the paragraph. Maybe I misunderstood the paragraph, I'm getting tired. Sue me.

Quote by necrosis1193
Look, I don't like images being banned. I was a proponent for unbanning The Pear, and I supported Cool Stories from Bros even when they were being discussed of being bannable offenses. I like my images and gifs and all that.

But this one is really starting to bug me, if only because it's asking to be made illegal. Please, to keep it from being banned, cut back?

Anyway, in my personal opinion, there are two ways that swearing in a comedy act can be used for laughs that I see making this sort of claim have some validity- the first is just a "haha he said x" kind-of thing, the sort of laugh that was immature in 10th grade where you're not laughing because there was a clever joke, but because there's a word that's supposed to be "naughty".

The second kind is basically the same thing, but it's a more adult level, where instead of words like damn, shit, hell, crap, ass, etc., it's words like fuck, and some slurs here and there. Again, it's more or less the same thing - it's funny because it's supposed to be naughty, only instead of "naughty", now it's "would get them run out of town if they weren't a comedian" Seriously, some of the stuff you hear billed as comedy makes you wonder why Michael Richards was attacked so vehemently if this is fine and dandy.

I'm not one of those preachy types that thinks language or offensiveness has no place in entertainment. On the contrary, it has plenty of place, as emphasis, to fit a character, where the swear is genuinely a better word(For example, I think ass is a nicer word than butt. It's smoother, rolls off the tongue, and just sounds better. Same for damn), there are plenty of times where it makes sense to swear, in my mind. I think a word's a word, and while certain words you should be careful about to avoid offending due to how others will take it, overall people get too hung up on words.

But similarly, words are words, fuck, hell, damn, ass, shit, crap, piss, et al have no more comedic power than other words, and I just find from my personal experiences as a fan of stand-up comedy that way too many comedians just rely on swearing their ass off for their act rather than making a clever punchline.

Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I actually was talking about the main point of the paragraph. Maybe I misunderstood the paragraph, I'm getting tired. Sue me.

the main point is that there's nothing inherently wrong with swearing. They have their uses and can be amusing and/or delightful to use and to hear used.

What you're bothered by is unnecessary repetition. Why, by missing the point, you've incited.

Quote by element4433
Quote by sglover34479
I prefer the ones that don't overuse it. Louis CK swears a lot though and he's pretty great. Mitch Hedberg was amazing though too and he didn't swear a lot. Like any tool, can be used wrongly. Still hilarious if done right though.

THis is basically what I was gonna say. And you used the same comedians that I was gonna use.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Lemoninfluence
the main point is that there's nothing inherently wrong with swearing. They have their uses and can be amusing and/or delightful to use and to hear used.

What you're bothered by is unnecessary repetition. Why, by missing the point, you've incited.
I agree, there is nothing wrong with swearing, and yes, unless it is overdone, like anything.

Cursing in general is fine with me, if it is used to give that statement power. "I fucking hate you" carries much more weight than "I really dislike you". Using it to convey one's thoughts and feelings is absolutely fine and for the most part works better than not including profanity. If it's used in excess, then it loses that power and just makes one look like an illiterate imbasil who can't find another word to substitute in.
Quote by laid-to-waste

If you've lived on this planet then you would probably know that real-life opinions about cursing in comedy have been around for years now.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I agree, there is nothing wrong with swearing, and yes, unless it is overdone, like anything.

Which brings the unfunny nodding head meme back into play.

No, swearing isn't a mark of talent - or lack thereof. dumbdumbdumb youtubers
If a comedian swears and its funny then its good. If they swear and its offensive without being too funny, then they are poo. Thats about it really. Depeneds on how its used.
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
Quote by Trowzaa
Which brings the unfunny nodding head meme back into play.
And that is a great analogy. At first, it was funny.

Funniest shit I ever seen is Raw and Delerious by Eddie Murphy. You don't even really notice the cussing that much because the content is funny.
I usually don't care if a comedian swears or not in the routine. However, there are a few comedians who use profanity because it is almost always an easy, guaranteed laugh. I agree that swearing makes some jokes better, but swearing is definitely used by comedians with bad material to get some easy laughs.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
I think it's got to the point where you notice (at least I do, and my family does) when a comedian doesn't swear in their routine. I don't think I've ever heard a comment about someone swearing a lot in their routines, but I watch a lot of up-and-coming stand up and people always point out how some of them don't swear at all.

I swear a ridiculous amount all the time, so it doesn't bother me and it can really help make a joke funny, rather than a lot of the time when people consciously avoid a profanity to tell a joke, and it's clear that they have...and it really takes the funny out of it.
Read it in a Chris Tucker freaking out voice:

"This nigga thinks he's better than Beethoven. Ludwig VON BEETHOVEN!"

vs

"This nigga thinks he's better than Beethoven. Ludwig VON ****ING BEETHOVEN!"
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I just prefer Gabriel Iglesias or Colin Mochrie to George Carlin or Bill Hicks as they actually seem to concentrate on their act more than on shock value.

I don't think anybody these days gets too shocked at swearing. Even if they were doing it just for the 'shock factor,' where's the harm? It's just a different technique.

I'm more offended at the comedians who just say amusing things in a high-pitched scream to get a laugh. (Russell Brand, Chris Rock, etc)
Page 1 of 2