I bought a 8" mill file for fret leveling and it shattered. The longest piece is exactly 3 1/2" long. I know this will not work for my bass guitar but would it still work for my electric guitar? It is long enough to go across the 3 lowest frets and its perfectly flat. Before anyone suggest Stewmac the reason I didnt get one of there fret leveling files is cause I cant afford it. If it wont work could anyone suggest away for me to get a piece of wood flat enough to be useful for fret leveling?
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Nov 12, 2011,
Wood seems like it may be more inconsistant, depending what kind of wood you use

If anything, maybe find a high quality metal ruler and use portions of it as a straight edge?

I'm not sure if the broken part of your file will work..if its perfectly straight then I don't see why it wouldn't though
if you have access to a jointer, you can joint a piece of wood and use 300 or 400 grit sandpaper. attach using spray adhesive. I joint the wood every time i use it. if you use wood, you can make it as long as you want.
Look up Sullys guitar garage on you tube, he just put a few video's up about fret leveling, using home made tools.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Look up Sullys guitar garage on you tube, he just put a few video's up about fret leveling, using home made tools.

Really? I wonder why I havnt seen them yet cause I am subscribed to his channel.

Thanks everyone, im going to try to take the file back today.
I was looking at fret leveling on youtube recently and liked the idea of a straight piece of metal about 2.5 - 3 ft long, then use the adhesive stuff and stick the wet and dry paper to it. I'm going to get a box section and take it to my local engineering place, they can put it through their machine to make it pefectly straight and flat. I was watching some of these sort of vids, the guy marked the tops of all the frets first with something like black marker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJDb-ICqU90
Quote by Twidler
the guy marked the tops of all the frets first with something like black marker.

Yeah its a sharpy. To level frets this way you have to mark the frets so you can see how far you sanded and if you need to sand more.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Yeah its a sharpy. To level frets this way you have to mark the frets so you can see how far you sanded and if you need to sand more.

Yeh, looks like a good way of doing it though, I'm not keen on trying it with a short file anyway, reckon I'd probably make a boo boo then have to spend more getting it fixed lol. I think fret work is one of the things though that can really let a guitar down so it'd good to learn how to do a good job.
Well I took the broken file back to Home Depot and got a refund. Went to sears and was able to take every file out of the package to examine them. Ended up finding a 12" file that is perfect.