one of my frets got two big dings in it, so i sanded it down with a dremel. it fixed the dead fret but i had to have my action too high, so for how i just have a layer of solder on it sanded perfectly. this lets me fix the action, but leaves a dull tone on that fret.

SO!

can i buy just 1 new fret? or do i need to buy alot of wire. OR could i just switch the damaged fret with the 24th fret. that way i could remove the solder and fix the action without a dead fret.

TL;DR
need to fix a messed up fret, how do i go about buying the right fret wire? or should i just switch it with the 24th fret?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
I sugest taking it to some one that can actualy look at it. And yes you can just do 1 fret aslong as the others are still good, but most of the time a luthier will want to do them all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah get it fixed professionally.

Solder is quite a soft alloy. Each time you fret that note the string will sink into the solder and leave a small mark, you may or may not be able to see it, but its there.

This dampens the string vibration, makes it sound dull and you will lose some sustain on that fret also.
Quote by Phoenix V
Yeah get it fixed professionally.

Solder is quite a soft alloy. Each time you fret that note the string will sink into the solder and leave a small mark, you may or may not be able to see it, but its there.

This dampens the string vibration, makes it sound dull and you will lose some sustain on that fret also.

i know, hence it being a temp fix. but if i moved that fret to be my 24th fret, i could remove the solder and not have to work about it fretting out. correct?

like just... swapping my ok 24th fret with my busted up 15th fret?

and i don't want to do an entire refret, the guitar is just a few years old
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Quote by TehFluffy
i know, hence it being a temp fix. but if i moved that fret to be my 24th fret, i could remove the solder and not have to work about it fretting out. correct?

like just... swapping my ok 24th fret with my busted up 15th fret?

and i don't want to do an entire refret, the guitar is just a few years old

You probably could but...

The physical length of the 15th fret might be shorter than the 24th fret slot as most fretboards taper down towards the nut. So your 15th fret might not cover the width needed at the 24th fret. You need to double check this.

Conversely, the 24th fret might be too long for the 15th fret slot (which is not as bad, as you can always trim the length....but you can't add length)
A proffessional would be your best bet if you don't know what you are doing, but it can also be costly. Stew mac sells 2 foot lengths of fret wire for like $2. You could just have a look on the internet on how to re-fret it. Just mesure your frets with a set of callipers or somthing so you know what size fret wire to get. Changing your 24th fret with your 15th wouldn't be worth it. If you can do that you can pretty much buy some new wire and do it properly.