So, I went down to Guitar Center in salt lake today and picked me up a Peavey 6505+ 112. I love the tone, and the gain. I'm not sure how to perfect the tone on it; but is there any suggestions? Right now I have High: 7, Mids:5, Lows: 8.5, Pre: 7. Now im wondering what post gain settings should i use to also make the amp sound it's best, while being volume-okay. I have it on 1.5; but maybe i should go higher? and how can i solve feedback aswell? Reccomendations such as noise suppressers or anything? I love the amp none the less!
Wow... are you sure you need a 6505?

You have WAY too much gain in the preamp, my 6505 is fully saturated at 4. As far as the post gain goes, that just depends on how loud you want to play... obviously playing it louder will sound better because of the tube distortion, but most of the 6505s gain is in the preamp.

And as far as feedback, have you tried turning down the gain? and get a noise gate.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Quote by TehFluffy
Wow... are you sure you need a 6505?

You have WAY too much gain in the preamp, my 6505 is fully saturated at 4. As far as the post gain goes, that just depends on how loud you want to play... obviously playing it louder will sound better because of the tube distortion, but most of the 6505s gain is in the preamp.

And as far as feedback, have you tried turning down the gain? and get a noise gate.

This guy pretty much summed it up. 5150/6505 amps sound best with a moderate gain setting and high volume. I've only ever turned the gain up to 4 on any 5150 I've ever owned. But yeah, just invest in a noise gate to control the feedback and keep it easy on the gain.

Best of luck!
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
No such thing as the perfect tone....

But as for your feed back there any number of things that could cause it, I have a vyper tube 60 that emulates the 6505 and although it's not identical is suffered from some pretty bad feed back when I was on really distorted channels.

A few things that got rid of my feedback:

EQ - Probably your main issue, 6505's are distortion monsters so you probably have to dial it back.

Pickup change - Bad pickups are noisy(dur) bad pickups are more susceptible to interference from computers or other electronics.

New cables - I use monster but you can use whatever you like if you don't already. Good cables vs bad cables and how they effects the tone is pretty up in the air, but having a properly shielded cable to prevent interference will help cut back on feedback and noise.

Noise Gate(suppressor) - This helped me the most, anytime I played on higher gain settings I would always have to mute my strings with my hand or turn my volume to zero because I would feedback like a mother because the lightest nudge on my guitar would vibrate the strings. The pedal remedied this for me :P

Where you play - Don't play right beside your amp on high distortion.... Endless feedback o yeah that sounds nice!
I use EMG pickups in my guitars(81, 85's) and I guess i am pretty close to it so far. I do turn off the volume on my guitars during pauses but i get feedback in the middle of songs during chugging or breaks.
well your pickups are fine then, when I say close I mean like your sitting right in front of your speaker 2-3 feet away (well that's where I got my feedback). So unless your that close you should be fine.

Tweaking your EQ will probably eliminate most of your feedback, I would still recommend the noise gate if you got the money for one it will also help they are handy to have and just generally makes life easier when playing with the band.

It lets me move around freely now without worry about feedback from my amp just because I jostled the guitar or my hand gently brushed a string You still have to be careful but having a Noise gate is almost a must when playing on something like the 6505 :P

I use the Boss - NOS2(noise suppressor 2) It's about $80 and it lets me dial in the sensitivity from nearly 0 to the point where I can't even do slides on the guitar so you can get a good setting pretty easy to suit your needs.
The 6505 needs three pedals: a noise gate, an EQ, and a tubescreamer.

I personally used a Boss NS-2, Boss GE-7 and an Ibanez TS7 when I used my 5150.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
O thanks for reminding me Offworld, I have to borrow my buddy's EQ pedal and see what tones I can pull out of that. Thanks! With all those pre-sets I have somehow I'm sure it's going to suck but o well should be fun.
How would a tube screamer differ my tone? I notice a lot of guitarists use one for their 6505's.
^It reduces bass.
And dont scoop mids.
Do this- Bass 5, Mids 6, Treble 6.
Pre gain on 4/10.
Anything beyond 4 will cause noise and sizzle.
Lowering the gain also increases clarity and just makes your tone sound "bigger".
Your'e correct pretty much every professional setup I've seen with a 6505 have a tube screamer in front, so it must work, although I've never tried it myself. A typical style tube screamer has three controls of volume, gain and tone, they like to have the volume completely maxed and the gain pretty much completely scooped out and then tone to you're taste. In doing this I believe tube screamer's naturally take out some bass, resulting in a tighter, less flabby sound, so good for defining breakdown style part's and such.
Huh I do see tubescreamers all over the place, guess thats's why. I'm glad my amp comes built in with one
Which tubescreamer is the best and most affordable? there's so many, and made by different companys and things. Any suggestions? I'm new to tube amps, so this is all a blur. haha
For what you're using it for, there's no reason to spend more than what an Ibanez TS7 costs.

Other cheap options that are good are the Boss SD-1 and the Digitech Bad Monkey.

I personally recommend the TS-7, because you can literally mod it to TS-808 specs by changing 1 or 2 components. The TS-808 is sort of the "holy grail" for boosting.

If you're not into modding, the TS-7 is already a great sounding, versatile OD on it's own too.

On the more expensive side of things, I can recommend the MXR GT-OD, the Way Huge Green Rhino, and the Maxon OD808 (the original "808" pedal).

Some will disagree, but like I said earlier, I am personally of the opinion that if you're using a TS for a boost, and not as an actual OD, there really isn't much reason to spend a lot on one, because you won't really hear a difference big enough to justify the price. You should obviously get the one you like though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 13, 2011,
If you can afford..

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD 808
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
I can kinda understand using a tube screamer type pedal and a noise gate but honestly unless you don't actually like how the 6505 sounds in the first place i don't see the need for an eq pedal. Its like the people that say GET TEH VALVE KING IT CAN DO TEH METAL WITH A BOOST ND N EQ...
Try the famous 666 setting
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by Adam124
If you can afford..

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD 808

+1
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
So an ISP Noise Decimator and an Ibanez TS9 should work?

Edit: I found a boss ns2 used for 50 bucks and I think i can talk him into 40. Should I go for it?
Last edited by xX.Homesick.Xx at Nov 13, 2011,
Yes. NS-2 > Decimator. IMO.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^When did you get that MH? Wheres the NGD thread?

You're the second person who's commented and not seen it. No one ever sees my threads

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493426

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Crank your mids up and crank up the volume while turning down the gain. Don't even think about more than 1/2 gain until you have the volume greater than half.
Grats, glad it solved your problem Homesick!

Good luck finding that tube screamer, I love the one that comes with my amp I use it all the time. A good buy through and through :P
Quote by FearMyLightning
Crank your mids up and crank up the volume while turning down the gain. Don't even think about more than 1/2 gain until you have the volume greater than half.

How can you even stand the volume "greater than half?" Mine starts to shake the house off its foundation at 3.
Quote by Offworld92
Yes. NS-2 > Decimator. IMO.

IMO no
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
i put a green rhino and a smart gate in front of mine and its tons better now. i don't ever get any kind of feedback problems and the tone is very good and clear. i set pregain to about 4 and thats plenty of distortion for me. i still want to add and eq somewhere in the chain but i haven't picked it up yet. its all about how you eq and personal preference.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by KailM
How can you even stand the volume "greater than half?" Mine starts to shake the house off its foundation at 3.

Well that's how you get it to sound good.