ive noticed pretty much anyone in australia who wants to go solo on guitar and be at all successful has to go overseas. in genres like virtuoso fusion, rock, metal etc.

i mean australia has some great guitarists, but to at least earn a living here most have to be a backing guitarist for some pop singer, or dumb their shit down and go in a band. is there a stigma on this area of music in australia? or are we just that small for these genres not to have a large enough impact?
Last edited by jsync at Nov 13, 2011,
Quote by jsync
ive noticed pretty much anyone in australia who wants to go solo on guitar and be at all successful has to go overseas. in genres like virtuoso fusion, rock, metal etc.

i mean australia has some great guitarists, but to at least earn a living here most have to be a backing guitarist for some pop singer, or dumb their shit down and go in a band. is there a stigma on this area of music in australia? or are we just that small for these genres not to have a large enough impact?

Nope it's the world. Instrumental guitar music is not nearly as popular as every other genre which includes a guitar.

And being part of a band doesn't mean you have to "dumb your part down". Not sure where you're going with that one.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
A few months ago I saw the Grigoryian brothers (probably spelt it wrong),at the Apollo Bay Music festival,in victoria
In what was probably the most attended tent of the weekend,these two men blew me away.Check em out.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
It is probably harder for those genres. Try and find out how many venues are gonna give a gig to a guy starting out if you ring up and say 'I'm an instrumental fusion guitarist'. They will think 'will someone come and watch an instrumental fusion guitarist? or a pop rock band'.

Also, it's hard to be successful no matter how good you are regardless of genre. Go around the traps and see the amazing guitarist playing for $200.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Quote by Ian hawkins
A few months ago I saw the Grigoryian brothers (probably spelt it wrong),at the Apollo Bay Music festival,in victoria
In what was probably the most attended tent of the weekend,these two men blew me away.Check em out.

I had a jam with Slava about 10 years ago. Amazing guitarist that boy.

As you can imagine he destroyed me. Nice enough about it though.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud