I'm trying to figure out how to hook up my surround sound system. It's a 5.1 RCA system. My TV does not have optical out, or audio out, hookups. It does, however, have a headphone jack. If I run a 3.5 MM female splitter to RCA out, would I be able to use my system, or just two speakers, and a sub? Considering the headphone jack only utilizes the left and right speaker in the headphones...

Side note, do not buy cheap LCD TVs. -_-
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
Probably, but it's better than the 7 watt, tin can speakers of the TV. It already does sound kind of lame considering it's a cheap sound system. Anything is better than the TV -_-
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

The only receiver I have is a digital converter box. I run an antenna into it and plug it into my TV to get free local channels. I primarily watch all my programming via netflix/hulu, as I save a ton on cable ETC. So even though I can get sound through my receiver, it only works for my TV, not my xbox.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

I have researched it a lot today, I can't seem to find anything pertaining to the 3.5 mm jack to audio out. I've found a whole lot out about laptops though. :/
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Ok, so I had a similar problem when I wanted to hook up my 5.1 sound system to my computer and TV. (I use Guitar pro 6 for my drums during jam sessions with my band and just have my Sub cracked and mute the instruments we have. It's pretty awesome).

In short, yes it will work and you will hear everything from both speakers so long as your speakers can use RCA connections and you have a input for your sub. And to my knowledge it will work with more speakers. Mine does with 4, but I have a receiver hooked up but I don't see why it wouldn't work anyhow.

To be clear though! You will only hear Left and Right audio through those speakers no matter how many you have, you won't be able to get true sound surround(Where each speaker is playing something different from 4+ corners).

Personally I would just find a cheap receiver on ebay or kijiji for like $100 bucks and have everything running from that in your situation. It will also let you expand later on when you get a nice TV or want everything running through one system.
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Nov 13, 2011,
Typically analog connections only carry two channels, as far as I know.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Hmm no your right it's usually is just the 2, somehow I thought sound surround was sound from 4+ corners and each speaker had it's on designated channels it played.