Getting really annoying. It never used to do this so why is it doing now?

The A string keeps slipping out of the nut.

Should I tape the string to the nut :S

I don't want to shave it down because I fear I might ruin it's action.
I did. But after the change I played for 2 months and this never happened. Why now? please help me guys.
i added heavier stings to one of my deans and they were doin it for like a week but then they worked themselves in and it hasent did it since kept hapining on A sting for me so maby this will work for yeah man
EDIT: i prob should have read the post befor this one before i posted lol sorry
Last edited by rockjer at Nov 13, 2011,
probably need to cut the nut slits wider for your strings on those slots, those strings my be wider than the cut thus sitting higher up in the nut and since they aren't being supported all that well just pop over. you dont want to cut the nut lower, just wider, and i wouldn't do this if you aren't absolutely positive what you are going.

another thing in case that isn't the issue, what shape is the headstock? i had this old washburn bass from the 80's and the E string after the nut went like 60 degees (just an estimation) to the top of the nut (think if standing), so it was at a sharp angle and i was playing it one day and hear this clank on something in the room and i look down and the nut cracked and shot the E part accross the room. i had to get a new nut and fit it. its not that bad, but if you ever decide you want to cut one, i would buy an extra.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well can I put a weight on it to stop it behaving like that? I put just my finger on it and it doesn't want to move out then.
Quote by shamaans
Well can I put a weight on it to stop it behaving like that? I put just my finger on it and it doesn't want to move out then.

i am curious about how you think a weight is going to get on there and hold it in.

change guage or look into cutting the nut.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am curious about how you think a weight is going to get on there and hold it in.

change guage or look into cutting the nut.

Tape a small metal on top of it.

I'll take to that theif of a repair man and ask him to cut the nut.

I hope my action doesn't get ruined!
No, it's just not going to work. Obviously the nut is incompatible with the string gauge you've chosen. Because the strings probably don't sit at the bottom of the nut slots, I'm at a loss to understand how the action you've got can be the result of a proper setup or be decent at the lower frets. If you plan on keeping this gauge of string, you need the nut examined by a pro to see if it can be recut for the strings, or whether you should have a new one fitted.

You can have nut slots cut wider to fit a larger string, but if the slots are not deep enough, the larger diameter strings will still pop off easily. The nut must be deep enough to allow proper depth slots to be filed for the particular gauge you are using. That's why you should have it examined by a pro.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
No, it's just not going to work. Obviously the nut is incompatible with the string gauge you've chosen. Because the strings probably don't sit at the bottom of the nut slots, I'm at a loss to understand how the action you've got can be the result of a proper setup or be decent at the lower frets. If you plan on keeping this gauge of string, you need the nut examined by a pro to see if it can be recut for the strings, or whether you should have a new one fitted.

You can have nut slots cut wider to fit a larger string, but if the slots are not deep enough, the larger diameter strings will still pop off easily. The nut must be deep enough to allow proper depth slots to be filed for the particular gauge you are using. That's why you should have it examined by a pro.

Thanks for the help
My understanding is that a well grooved nut slot fills to 50% of the string diameter and keeps it snug in place while allowing a good action height. It sounds like you have increased by more than one string gauge step. If you have, then the strings popping out was inevitable and you were always going to need to get the nut slots slightly regrooved again.

Weight alone isn't going to help. You need to decide if the thicker gauge is what you are going to keep as standard since after the nut is regrooved you may be faced with needing a new nut if you decide to switch back to the lighter gauge.
Last edited by Phoenix V at Nov 16, 2011,