always down stroking while palm muting strains my hand

how can I do "double" while palm muting?

When I do a down stroke, the shape of my pick is sort of at an angle so making it come back the other way is difficult.

One easy way is to change my picking style for alternate palm muting by keeping the pick straight and sort of making a fist. but that just isn't practical.

Any help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYxq-r77Y1o&feature=related starts doing it here for a little while after 0:15 or 0:16 I think. I know, not the best of videos.
When alternate pick palm mute I used to have the same problem as you, i looked at a few videos on youtube but the best thing to do is to find a way thats comfortable for you turn the pick in different ways. I know it's a cliche but its the best way to do it.
I had the problem to.

Its all about getting the picking hand position right, the angel of the pick right and a good wrist motion.

When i struggled with this it was because I was picking from the elbow to much.

The first thing I'd suggest to you is playing reeeaaaaally slooooowly and trying to add the up strokes, keeping the wrist relaxed and sound even.

You want to have the pick at an angel of about 45 degrees to the string, this helps it cut through the string better.

Once you start to get it going you could actually then trying practicing just using upstrokes and then adding the down strokes.

The wrist motion is a lot like the motion your wrist makes when writing. But try to get the thumb still (with out tensing).
Last edited by jkielq91 at Nov 13, 2011,
Quote by jkielq91
You hold it with an angel. I'll find a picture for you.

Nono. I meant that as a question to TS. Cause he seems to be saying the pick's actually at an angle.
Quote by Hakeem-SG
When alternate pick palm mute I used to have the same problem as you, i looked at a few videos on youtube but the best thing to do is to find a way thats comfortable for you turn the pick in different ways. I know it's a cliche but its the best way to do it.

This.

Still, you should try to make the pick hit the strings with a 90 degree angle, and not holding the pick tip is facing the body of the guitar just below the strings.
Quote by triface
Nono. I meant that as a question to TS. Cause he seems to be saying the pick's actually at an angle.

Oh sorry. I read it as if you were the TS.

Maybe a picture could still help.

Thats the angel. But ignore the way he is holding the pick.

I think the actually wrist motion is probably what makes the difference here though.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Nov 13, 2011,
Honestly it's just practice. It is easier in lower tunings with thicker strings (gauges). If you have too much or not enough tension it may be harder. I know you may hate this response, but you just have to sit down and play until you get it right. All you are doing is resting the side of your hand near the bridge, muting the strings, and alternate picking chords or individual strings. Maybe practice on individual strings first. Make sure you arn't "catching" the strings and are gracefully hitting them "just enough."
Thanks for the replies everyone. I suppose it's just practice. Thanks.