Hey,

I've owned my Jackson RR5 for around a year now and I've always had a SLIGHT buzz on the G string which is quite annoying. I've raised my action.. But I wanna keep it lower cuz it lowers my playability with a higher action. Could it be that my truss rod is too flat?

Thanks in advance!
Can you hear the buzz through your amp? If not, leave it as is.

Most guitar makers have procedures on their websites for setting up the action. However, it appears they have one of the worst sites around. No wonder I don't own any Jackson guitars... Don't always assume it's the truss rod. You need to evaluate the neck to determine the type of relief you have. If the relief is wrong, then you need to adjust the truss rod. Most likely, you can make an adjustment to the bridge and bring up the G string enough to stop the buzz.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Can you hear the buzz through your amp? If not, leave it as is.

Most guitar makers have procedures on their websites for setting up the action. However, it appears they have one of the worst sites around. No wonder I don't own any Jackson guitars... Don't always assume it's the truss rod. You need to evaluate the neck to determine the type of relief you have. If the relief is wrong, then you need to adjust the truss rod. Most likely, you can make an adjustment to the bridge and bring up the G string enough to stop the buzz.

Thanks for your good reply, But i really don't wanna raise the action further since it already is quite annoying to play on. My Epiphone plays way better at the moment.. :/
It depends on where it is buzzing. Is it when you play open, or somewhere on the neck?
If the action is too high, you should definitely get it to a level where it is comfortable to play. Too low might buzz though. It could be buzzing for many reasons, even the nut may cause that.
Also, check out if the screws are tightly turned on your bridge, if some are loose, that might cause the buzzing, because the low E string is the one that has the most ''bass'', so it could do that, it sometimes happens after changing the strings. Anyway, good luck with fixing, I've been in your shoes and I know how frustrating it is.
Hahahahaha.. seems like you have a slight buzz on your G string... hehehe
Most of my grindcore inspiration comes from my hard drive.
Quote by Martis93
It depends on where it is buzzing. Is it when you play open, or somewhere on the neck?
If the action is too high, you should definitely get it to a level where it is comfortable to play. Too low might buzz though. It could be buzzing for many reasons, even the nut may cause that.
Also, check out if the screws are tightly turned on your bridge, if some are loose, that might cause the buzzing, because the low E string is the one that has the most ''bass'', so it could do that, it sometimes happens after changing the strings. Anyway, good luck with fixing, I've been in your shoes and I know how frustrating it is.

Thanks for the reply. I lowered the action on the bridge and i think it got a lot nicer to play. The buzz is only on the first frets on the G but it doesn't sound through the amp so I guess it's OK.
Quote by Mackan1994
Thanks for the reply. I lowered the action on the bridge and i think it got a lot nicer to play. The buzz is only on the first frets on the G but it doesn't sound through the amp so I guess it's OK.

when it doesnt transmit thru the amp then it's technically not considered an issue, like said.

But, if you want to check if the nut cut is a little low, you can try slipping a bit of paper under the string in the nut cut.
a trick less effective with a locking nut, but i've heard that this can work with them as well.

if it works, you might want to get a micro shim under the nut.
that should allow for clearance and you might be able to lower the strings
at the bridge a little more, without hearing the buzzing when playing acoustically.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 13, 2011,