Im looking for a amp head. It needs to handle metal stuff, no cleans. The metal i will be playing is like President Kimball by Caesar, a day to remember, and askin alexandria kind of stuff.

Budget? - Well i have a 136.30 guitar center gift card plus another 300 so about 400 dollars. I would prefer to go guitar center as i can get a major warranty and i can use up this gift card.

Genres? - Metal Metal Metal and a little metal. I do not need cleans, as i wont be gigging clean.

New or Used? - Either or...Im guessing my best bet is used for the price.

Home or Gig? - This will be strictly for gigging. I will use a different amp to jam out at home.

Closest City? - The next biggest city around me is jackson Michigan or Ann arbor michigan.

Current Gear? - Roght now i have a boss metal pedal and a spider 3 15w. The head is going to be hooked up to 2 12s with horns.
Last edited by rtbluver at Nov 13, 2011,
Dont hook up a (guitar)head to a cab with horns, it will sound like shite.

That said, look at the JCA 50h, awesome lead ch (it is 2 ch) and the clean ch is good also if you need it. They run @$500 new so used will be well in your range.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
blackstar ht20
randall diavlo if you like high gain el34
bugera 1990 boosted if you like older punky metal

v55 if you watch how youtube how to make them metally
i'm thinking windsor has less gain than the 1990

seems b52 100 is about $100 out of your reach

if none of these are good, then may have to wait
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
peavey 6505+112 is 599.00 new at gc look for a used one from gc.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by rtbluver
The 6505 is a combo though. I need a head and cabinet, for giging

Unfortunately $400 is not going to get you anything great when you have to buy a cab and a head. Even going used your going to be very limited, unless you get really lucky.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, I would say your best bet is save up more dough and go for a blackstar. I would also say don't go to gc, but you're kind of dead set on that.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by jjbarnes
Yeah, I would say your best bet is save up more dough and go for a blackstar. I would also say don't go to gc, but you're kind of dead set on that.

Well i have 150 bucks to spend thier ona gift card. Plus, i dont know if it matters but i have 2x12 cab
Save up a little bit and wait for a Peavey XXX to pop up near you. I couldn't find any in your budget on Craigs List, Guitar Center or ebay.

You need to give more info though. I recommend the XXX just as a general versatile metal amp. The term "metal" is useless though. You need a completely different amp for playing Suffocation than you do for playing Judas Priest, even though they are both "metal".
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Save up a little bit and wait for a Peavey XXX to pop up near you. I couldn't find any in your budget on Craigs List, Guitar Center or ebay.

You need to give more info though. I recommend the XXX just as a general versatile metal amp. The term "metal" is useless though. You need a completely different amp for playing Suffocation than you do for playing Judas Priest, even though they are both "metal".

Okay i will add that i will be playing "The juliet massacre" and Caesar-President Kimball" kind of stuff..If you dont know who they are look it up on yourube.
Quote by rtbluver
Well i have 150 bucks to spend thier ona gift card. Plus, i dont know if it matters but i have 2x12 cab

Look for a used Peavey Ultra head, they are cheap used, and are great amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by rtbluver

No, no you don't. Any place you play that's too large for the combo will have you mic'd. The 6505 1x12 is balls loud.

But if you insist on a head from GC, then the Blackstar ht-20 or maybe the Jet City JCA22H?

Just watched a Caesar vid and one of the guitarists is using a 5150, which is pretty much the same thing as the 6505 1x12 combo. Or close enough that you should be able to get the same tone out of the combo. No matter what you get, you might want to pick up a clean boost to further shape your tone.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by rtbluver

No you don't. You don't need a stack to gig.

IMHO, sell your spider, unless that is your practice amp. In which case, sell the pedals still.

For your budget, brand new, Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w

You can gig with it jussssssssssssst fine, ass**** loud.

Going used is a different story, personally, i would stay away from the 6505+ 1x12, unless you have the money to fix it up.

Also, don't pour money into a warranty, 9 times out of 10, you never use the warranty or end up voiding it some how.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Oh and it looks like one of the The Juliet Massacre guys uses a 5150 II. So yeah, I'd look pretty damn hard on the 6505 combo. Or something that can emulate it, like the Vypyr 60w tube combo. Sure a combo won't look cool on stage, but what matters more? Shitty tone from a cheap half stack or killer tone out of a good combo? Buy something better when you have the money. You can always use either of those combos with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
^ That logic kind of fails since I don't think that the 6505+ 112 could ever put out "killer tone". With the cost it takes to make that amp sound good, you could have just bought the real thing (212 combo or head).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X