I play extremely loud, droney doom/space metal. I have been having issues with maintaining sustain on single notes at extreme volumes. When the bassist cranks up, the low end overwhelms my guitar and the notes fizz out. I can feel it happen through my hands, the guitar body goes from full-on vibration to being completely dead. When we play in unison (power chord + root) it increases the sustain for the both of us. But when I try to play a single-note lead on one of lower strings on my guitar, anything that's not a third, fifth or octave just poops out. Essentially, bad feedback.

Also, I have been having issues with magnetic feedback, that high-pitched squeal when I get too close to my rig.

My guitar is a 09' Les Paul stock standard, tuned to dadgad dropped a step and a half with blue steel medium gauge strings (wound G)....into a very large, complex, and ever-changing rig. The problem lays with the guitar, not the rig.

I recognize that part of the problem is that we generally play in small rooms where we are standing directly in front of our stacks. But, there must be solution. I am trying to find a way to isolate the resonance of my guitar some more, to minimize the negative effects of feedback while attempting to maintain some of the positive.

I wonder if part of the issue is the body - my LP is chambered and the pickups are stock and not potted. Would getting an unchambered LP, or perhaps an aluminum neck guitar like a travis bean solve the problem? or is it better to try the opposite route - a lighter guitar like an sg or dinky? Would wax-potting my pickups and/or switching to different ones help with either the magnetic or bad (deadening) feedback?
Get a Noise gate/supresser for the feedback issue.

Maybe also look into the fernandez sustainer for your LP.
"do you hear the sustain? well you would if it was pluged in. Hell you can go have a bite."-Nigel
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a Noise gate/supresser for the feedback issue.

Maybe also look into the fernandez sustainer for your LP.
"do you hear the sustain? well you would if it was pluged in. Hell you can go have a bite."-Nigel

This. Or maybe more gain if you can't afford getting a new pickup?
You can also try a compressor pedal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
a little finger vibrato will help with the single notes. also sounds like maybe you are using to much gain. to much gain will cause the notes to mush. i'd also fiddle some with the tone settings to see if you can find some that help the notes stand out more.
How low is your action? If it's so low that it buzzes all over the fretboard (when unplugged) then that's killing your sustain before it has a chance to actually 'sustain'. I'd start there before thinking about getting a different guitar.

Also, some people claim that having the tailpiece cranked all the way down to the body increases sustain. You might try this and see if it helps?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Do not use a noise suppressor for your feedback problem, either turn your gain down or you could have a bad pickup if you're still getting a high squeal. If it's microphonic, then it needs to get repotted or replaced.

And don't use a compressor/sustainer for you sustain problem if your getting feedback, it'll only make it worse.

Checking your action, pick up hieth, using just enough gain, and messing with tone settings (maybe more mids) should help.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Nov 13, 2011,
Playing in a cramped room, right in front of your amp, with extreme high volumes and high gain. I think I might know why you're getting feedback, and I'm not a rocket scientist.
I'd fix this first, then look at the sustain problem. Is your sustain OK at lower volumes?
I like feedback, but controlled feedback. I use a ton of it in my music, in fact, it's practically 50% noise and feedback. I'm just trying to minimize the bad, maximize the good feedback.

The fernandez might work, although i'm concerned that the feedback it generates would be unnatural. I'd like to try and solve this issue without any gizmos or learning how to use something new, I already have an extremely complex setup. I think the problem is with the guitar resonance, not the signal chain, and therefore should be corrected as such and not by adding more into the signal chain.

I don't really use "high gain". My guitar signal is perfectly clean when i pick light, super fuzzy when i pick hard (like sleep or electric wizard). There is only a single 12ax7 preamp in my amp, and I don't use any distortion or fuzz pedals. My setup is extremely dynamic, which is why I can't use any noise suppressors, sustainers or compressors in my signal chain. I employ the entire dynamic range of my instrument.

I play though a 200 watt electric green power unit into 2-4x12's, and an axe-fx w/300 watt qsc power amp powering a 1x15 and a 4x10. I can A/B the axe and the green but I generally use them together. The green signal is pure, just straight from the guitar. The axe-fx receives the slave signal from the green but adds delay and reverb, and controls the routing, and the tap tempo is midi-synced to an RC-50 looper. I can also fade the reverb and delay mix with expression pedals, the only other pedal I use is an EHX freeze.

The action on my guitar is prefect with no buzzing unless I riff the crap out of it, although the strings are set fairly low. I will definitely try cranking the tailpiece closer to the body and messing with the action a bit.
Honestly thats alot of shit to be using in small rooms, a single 4x12 will be more than enough for any place your ever gonna play.
I can understand the wanting diff sounds, but your rig seems Way over sized for what your doing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's not oversized by any means. a single 4x12 is puny. Yeah, it can get "loud" if you crank the gain even on a 30-watt head, but you'll end up with a compressed sound. Loud, with lots of fizz and few dynamics, and often painful to listen to. With all that power that i have, and all those speakers, I have an extreme dynamic range and I can crank out bass frequencies like no other guitar rig. I play doom, you need to feel it in your chest, use occilations in dissonance to control the audience's breathing - not just hit them with chugs. with that much headroom I can go from whisper quiet to apocalyptic sonic boom and back by just altering my pick attack. It's a tottally immersive physical experience that transcends most people's understanding of music.
I'm not saying your wrong for having all that by any means. But no matter what type of music you play if it is small venues, room what ever you having that much gear that close to you your feedback is gonna be tremendous I would imagine. But hey to each his own and I'm in no position to tell you how/what to play.

But on point, the Fernandez sustainer sounds pretty damn natural.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AcousticMirror
r u tosin?

Tosin abasi? lol no.... we do both play weird unorthodox stuff and use an axe-fx but the similarities end there. We don't have anything on youtube, our music is still basically under development. We've played a few gigs to private audiences but we're not "out there" yet. I'm far from inexperienced though, just experimenting with something new.

If you want get an idea of what we sound like/where we come from....listen to Sunn0))), Khanate, boris, my bloody valentine, Sleep, Swans electric wizard, kyuss, then cross that with mogwai, explosions in the sky, some john fahey, [none of us had anything to do with any of the above artists] and a heavy ethnic bedouin influence.