I'd like to be able to mute the drum, bass and vocals of a song with Audacity so that I have the guitar master track. That way I can transcribe songs way easier. I heard it's possible, but HOW DO I DO IT?

Yes, I use Audacity, I don't wanna save up for a better and expensive programme.
Originally Posted by sticksause
I just sit around all day, get high and play guitar
audacity sucks. get reaper
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by mnf50
Torrents.

Am I allowed to say that?

Where, how?
Quote by pearljammer_1
I'd like to be able to mute the drum, bass and vocals of a song with Audacity so that I have the guitar master track. That way I can transcribe songs way easier. I heard it's possible, but HOW DO I DO IT?

Yes, I use Audacity, I don't wanna save up for a better and expensive programme.

It's not really possible. When a song gets mixed down and exported, it's turned into 2 tracks, a left and a right. So all of the information is on those 2 tracks, with no differentiation between instruments. The best you can do is put the tracks out of phase, which gets rid of whatever is in the middle that they share. USually, this includes the vocals and the kick drum, but any reverb that was applied is going to be left over.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Shirate
It's not really possible. When a song gets mixed down and exported, it's turned into 2 tracks, a left and a right. So all of the information is on those 2 tracks, with no differentiation between instruments. The best you can do is put the tracks out of phase, which gets rid of whatever is in the middle that they share. USually, this includes the vocals and the kick drum, but any reverb that was applied is going to be left over.

It's possible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsH-A1BYQCY

I don't care if you hear a little bit of the other instruments in the background as long as it's not too much.
Quote by mnf50
Torrents.

Am I allowed to say that?

I'm on a warning for suggesting that I wouldn't

TS, it's not possible with something like guitars in a full mix. You can somewhat single out center panned vocal tracks, but that's about it unless you go perform sexual favours in the band's studio and get the master tapes.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I'm on a warning for suggesting that I wouldn't

TS, it's not possible with something like guitars in a full mix. You can somewhat single out center panned vocal tracks, but that's about it unless you go perform sexual favours in the band's studio and get the master tapes.

Isn't it possible to make the other tracks quieter?
Quote by pearljammer_1
Isn't it possible to make the other tracks quieter?

You could probably do a bandpass sweep with EQ and take out the bass and high end frequencies, but that would leave you with some funky sounding mid range.
If you really are patient and know what you're doing, and have a huge parametric EQ plugin you could try sweeping some notched EQ up and down the mix until you find where the guitars are and bring them up, while lowering the rest.
That's all I can think of.
If the songs are on Guitar Hero or Rock Band or similar games, they tend to have the master tracks and the individual instruments can usually be found online.
It can partially be done with some rediculous EQing and compression, but if you have good enough ears to do that then you don't really need to solo the guitar track anyway so...
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by SkepsisMetal

You can somewhat single out center panned vocal tracks.

Ok, and how do I do that?

Honestly, I really don't understand what you're saying about mid range, EQ...
I'm kind of a noob
I know the method, to a certain extent...but I've never tried it so don't quote me word for word.
There's tutorials all over youtube and stuff, which would probably give you better advice. Just search for making an acapella track or something.
It's to do with taking an instrumental of the track, and the original, putting them to play at the same time on different tracks, then inverting the phase of one of them. Cancels all the same-sounding instruments out and leaves the vocals.
Quote by So-Cal
What song is it?

I don't have a specific song, I wanna transcribe alot of Hendrix and Led Zepellin, also maybe some RHCP songs. It would make things much easier for me.