Poll: Which guitar should I purchase?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar should I purchase?
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
17 33%
PRS SE Paul Allender
34 67%
Voters: 51.
So, I'm purchasing a guitar TODAY! I have to CHOOSE! The two candidates are:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Hellraiser-C-1.aspx

Or..

PRS SE Paul Allender

http://www.prsguitars.com/allender/

Both have the same pickups, 3 way selector, push/pull knobs, mahogany bodies.

Differences...

The PRS has the floating bridge, the Schecter does not.
The Schecter has locking tuners, the PRS does not.

The PRS comes with a gig bag, and I'm unsure if the Schecter comes with a case.

Thanks!!!
Last edited by twxj97 at Nov 13, 2011,
Purely because I'm not a fan of the trem. Other than that, I actually prefer the looks of the Hellraiser too.

Haven't played either though, so I can't really comment on playability.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
PRS imports are very well made. I'd get that.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think the trem will give you a lot of options. Furthermore, if you feel the need for locking tuners later, that's an easy upgrade. Putting a trem in is somewhat more complicated. Play both. Find the better neck, better sound, better feel.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Quote by kaptkegan
I think the trem will give you a lot of options. Furthermore, if you feel the need for locking tuners later, that's an easy upgrade. Putting a trem in is somewhat more complicated. Play both. Find the better neck, better sound, better feel.

My thoughts exactly. Locking tuners = easy. Trem = options.
It really only comes down to if you want a trem or not. I find them to be a hassle.

(But even if the SE didn't have a trem, I would still pick the Schecter)
Hellraiser here's why

-The prs has a maple neck i'd rather have a fully mahogany guitar for metal
-i prefer fixed bridge, but if i have a guitar with a floating bridge it needs to have a locking nut. (atleast for metal)
-the prs is ugly
-ebony fretboards look better with no inlays.

I personally really like the neck profile on the hellraiser i have the older hellraiser with 81/85 and i prefer the chunkier neck.

the most important thing to me would be the fact that it has a non-locking floating bridge. but get whatever you think is more comfortable.

its all a matter of opinion the best you can do is take other peoples opinions and decide if you agree or disagree.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Nov 13, 2011,
Definitely PRS.

Schecters to me are the bain of the guitar world. I played a C-1 and a Paul Allender a few days ago.

And asusual I found that I hated how the Schecter necks are shaped.
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
prs, looks better than the hellraiser, trem gives options, locking tuners are easy to install, trems arent, you can always trust prs
What kind of music are you going to play?
Is it important to you to have EMGs? (Have you ever played an EMG-loaded guitar?)
What exact model of amp do you have?
Where are you located?
What's your exact budget?
Why those 2 guitars? Have you played those? If no, how did you narrow the choice down to those?
Is it important to you to have a "metal-looking" guitar?

I'm asking those questions because depending on where you live and what you are going for, there most probably are better options for the money.
I'd like to thank you all for your responses. This is a big deal for me, and all of your opinions are helping a lot.
Quote by xFilth
It really only comes down to if you want a trem or not. I find them to be a hassle.

(But even if the SE didn't have a trem, I would still pick the Schecter)

I do prefer a trem, but I refuse to use a FR style trem.
Quote by whyze250f
Hellraiser here's why

-The prs has a maple neck i'd rather have a fully mahogany guitar for metal
-i prefer fixed bridge, but if i have a guitar with a floating bridge it needs to have a locking nut. (atleast for metal)
-the prs is ugly
-ebony fretboards look better with no inlays.

I personally really like the neck profile on the hellraiser i have the older hellraiser with 81/85 and i prefer the chunkier neck.

the most important thing to me would be the fact that it has a non-locking floating bridge. but get whatever you think is more comfortable.

its all a matter of opinion the best you can do is take other peoples opinions and decide if you agree or disagree.

I hear you on the full Mahogany. That is definitely enticing. I actually dig the bats, but I can see how that wouldn't work for everyone. I wish I had the opportunity to try a hellraiser, but unfortunately none of the shops around here have any.

Your opinion has been noted, and I will definitely consider your points.
Quote by JesusCrisp
What kind of music are you going to play?
Is it important to you to have EMGs? (Have you ever played an EMG-loaded guitar?)
What exact model of amp do you have?
Where are you located?
What's your exact budget?
Why those 2 guitars? Have you played those? If no, how did you narrow the choice down to those?
Is it important to you to have a "metal-looking" guitar?

I'm asking those questions because depending on where you live and what you are going for, there most probably are better options for the money.

Honestly, I like a wide range of music styles. I'm somewhat of a metal head also, and I plan on playing mostly harder rock and metal. I've played the PRS a few times with the EMG's, and I enjoyed the experience. I don't have a style of my own per se, so passive vs. active doesn't matter much to me.

I'm also purchasing an amp. I'm looking toward the Fender Mustang III based on reviews and play time. I also played a line 6 in the same $300 price range, but I didn't think it was as good. I contemplate buying an older tube amp, maybe an Epi Blues Custom but, honestly, I'm not very keen on amps. I've played acoustic for most of my guitar history.

I am located in Delaware.

My budget is $1000 total, guitar/amp. Musicians Friend is offering a nice discount for Veterans Day and I plan on taking advantage of it.

As a Christmas/Birthday gift, the wife said I could spend $1000 dollars on a guitar/amp combo. At first I decided to go cheap, thinking I'd hot rod a cheap Ibanez. I went from the entry level RG321 to the RG7321 to the RGA72QME. I looked into cheaper Jacksons, Schecters, Epiphones, Stratocasters, Telecasters, LTD's.. you name it. I realized that I really wanted a unique looking guitar, and I also wanted it to be high quality. After playing the PRS, and after reading an assload of reviews of the Hellraiser, I decided that they fit the price/quality/features bill the best. Versatility wise, I really wanted the push/pull tone and volume knobs.

Do I want it to look metal? I think so. I've always owned Stratocasters, and tried convincing myself I could build a metal strat. The one thing I kept getting hung up on was the actual shape of the guitar. It didn't fit in the metal department. I did realize, however, that in earlier metal, the Stratocaster fit well (i.e. Iron Maiden, Yngwie). Today, however, I don't think it fits as well as more modern offerings.

Long post, I know. Thanks for the input everyone!
The Hellraiser plays like a dream. If you want a trem then get the Hellraiser C1-FR, it's the C1 with a Floyd plus it has locking tuners. I don't think they come with a case but you can always try and find a deal at Guitar Center if you plan on buying from there. I can't speak for the pRS since I haven't played one but I hear that their really nice.
I've honestly had both and the only one I still have is the paul allender and I don't see that changing. You definitely want to try both though because they feel very different. You may not like the neck joint on the allender or you may not like the fatter, rounder neck on the schecter.
Personally I think the allender sounds better and is a better quality guitar but you have to go with what you feel most comfortable with, both of them are very good guitars.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
I greatly appreciate all of your opinions. They helped me decide on the PRS. Not being able to play the Schecter really keeps me from considering it over the PRS.

I couldn't really go wrong with either guitar.

Thanks again. You guys rock!
With $1000 you can get an awesome gig-ready setup if you went into the used market.

You can get the Allender used for under $500 and pick up a 5150 combo or a Jet City JCA20 halfstack (with a nice cab) with the other $500. That's just two good options and they're on opposite ends of the scale between rock and metal, but you can find exactly what you need depending on how much rock you intend to play vs how much metal. And what flavor you're after (American or British)

EDIT: My Flying V has an ebony fretboard and I've played a few newer V's with the rosewood. After that I was sold on having an ebony fretboard on a guitar intended for rock/metal/aggressive music, my ebony V sounds noticeably crisper/punchier compared to the rosewood ones. I'm not saying rosewood is bad by any means, but the ebony definitely 'spices up' the sound for such styles.

Based on that, and I like the look of the PRS better, my vote is the PRS. Imagine that, a quality import that isn't suffering from abalonitis.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 14, 2011,
Good call on the PRS. Abalone looks terribad on red finishes. Don't know why LTD and Schecter do that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Flux'D
With $1000 you can get an awesome gig-ready setup if you went into the used market.

You can get the Allender used for under $500 and pick up a 5150 combo or a Jet City JCA20 halfstack (with a nice cab) with the other $500. That's just two good options and they're on opposite ends of the scale between rock and metal, but you can find exactly what you need depending on how much rock you intend to play vs how much metal. And what flavor you're after (American or British)

EDIT: My Flying V has an ebony fretboard and I've played a few newer V's with the rosewood. After that I was sold on having an ebony fretboard on a guitar intended for rock/metal/aggressive music, my ebony V sounds noticeably crisper/punchier compared to the rosewood ones. I'm not saying rosewood is bad by any means, but the ebony definitely 'spices up' the sound for such styles.

Based on that, and I like the look of the PRS better, my vote is the PRS. Imagine that, a quality import that isn't suffering from abalonitis.

I did find the Allender on eBay, but I couldn't find any of the updated versions on eBay for less than $750. There weren't any of the green ones either. I will definitely look into the Jet City offerings. I'm also looking at some peaveys.

I have been intrigued by ebony fretboards. We will see how it works out. I've tried a few out and have no issues with them.
Quote by Offworld92
Good call on the PRS. Abalone looks terribad on red finishes. Don't know why LTD and Schecter do that.

I didn't mind the use of it on the hellraiser, but on the LTD-EC1000, it's hideous. It looked ok to me on the body, but once LTD ran it up and down the fretboard, I just about vomited.
I didn't know there was an updated version to it haha, apologies . You could also look into the Jet City 50/100, they have a ton of gain on tap and deliver terrific tones through most of the gain knob on both channels. They get a little compressed above 6 or so but if that's what you're after it's there.

If you look at Guitar Center's used inventory there's a few under $500, whether it's the updated models or not I'm not sure.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]