Hi i'm thinking of getting a les paul and swapping the pickups, which should i get? I like to play Hard Rock/Metal
Type of guitar you have?
What type of wood is it made from?
tremilo or stop tail?
Budget?
Location?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I really like the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates for a rock sound, but that's not a whole lot of info to go off of. Also, I don't play metal, so my advice will be biased in the "hard rock" direction.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
If you just want a solid Hard Rock/Metal sound you could go with EMGs. I have some and I love them, but you should be warned that they don't really "breath".
Duncan SH-6
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would consider looking at either slash's pickups for rock or maybe the actives like Zack for heavier stuff. Avenge seven fold use the seymour duncan blackouts and jb's. There's also a tone wizard on the seymour site where you select the type of guitar and music style and it gives you recommendations.
^ Also Dimarzio has a pickup finder that gives you recommendations, but seriously, they both give both bad and then "mostly only for" options. For example, SD recommends the jack-of-all-trades JB and then a Dimebucker. The best option is to find out, ask some guitarists (like you're doing), listen to samples that are given on pickups' sites and then also finding guitars with the pickups you'd like to try out.

Of course, making sure that the wood is quite the same is important (Wouldn't say that the JB sounds the same in a mahogany body than in an alder body, for example.) I,myself, found that the EMGs will do the trick, while some might find them "sterile" and lacking some tone.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

everyone and their dog on the SD forum says sh-5 and sh-1 for a les paul, but pearly gates would do nicely too