So i recently discovered that there was a BBE Sonic Maximizer 402 in the cabinet that holds the stereo system in one room. My dad knew what it was and was just messing with me by not telling me about it. So can anyone tell me how it would be best used (effects loop, location, purpose etc.)?

After I figure out how to use this I'll make an NPD thread proper.

Thanks guys.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
As far as I know, it just gives a clean boost to your sound. So if you need a clean boost, I would use that. It can help to even out a single coil and humbucker equipped guitar, or add gain for solos.

I would put it before your amp, though I'm not the best to ask about that, and as far as location in the pedal chain, someone else is gonna need to answer that.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Thanks
Also can it be used for Bass instead of guitar?
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf

When I used one I used it in the effects loop.
They are pretty useless though
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
It's just a high and low end frequency booster. It also causes your sound to become very mid-scooped if I recall. So it's basically worthless.
Just a word of warning. Maximizers are the guitar gear equivalent of crack. The experience one goes through is identical:

1. The first hit: You hook it up and initially think "Oh MY GOD this the greatest thing EVER DOOOOOD!!!!!111!!!!1! I've found THE tone!"

2. You start using on a regular basis: Buy some model BBE, hook to rig, engage it 100% of the time. Rewrite all your patches.

3. You try to get your friends hooked: Dude, check out my rig, this thing takes it over the top!!!.

4. You go into addiction/denial: Friends think your tone has gone to sh*t but you think it is totally awesome. You start talking msinformed BS about different sound frequencies traveling at different velocities (hint: violation of Newtonian physics).

5. There is an intervention: Friend let's you A/B his non-maximizer rig versus yours in live setting, Yours sounds like over-processed dung, his rocks. He tells you, as a Bro, the BBE must go. You realize the BBE is a band aid for guitar tone and not even a good one at that.

6. You go into rehab: Another "like new" BBE xx2 unit hits eBay.

7. Regret: I wasted a sh*tload of time futzing with my rig, patches, etc, and my tone isn't any better and I'm back to square one. I Wonder what GE-7 pedals are going for these days.

Maybe you should avoid the whole thing. If you must post-process your modelling tone I would strongly suggest an EQ. It's much more versatile and will be long usable after the BBE is gone.

Yes, I'm a former user and I regret ever bothering with it.

that about wraps it up. i saw some BS about phase alignment of some frequency proportion thing... whatever. it's a bad EQ. in the quoted story above i was actually the guy that said "Bro, the BBE must go". he had an early 90's PRS, H&K Triamp, and badass cab loaded with vintage greenbacks, and the BBE sonic maximizer just sucked up all his tone like a starving mid-range harpy from hell.

from what my ear hears, it does well for a DJ or in a PA rack or as a studio tool, but keep it outta the guitar's source signal chain cuz it does nothing for sourced guitar tone.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 13, 2011,
The Sonic Maximiser is a rackmounted turd that makes tube amps sound like crap. BBE markets it to be something to make your tone better on guitar but really it's better for studio stuff. It just sounds like a treble booster to me.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
ok so essentially what ur saying is it is a tone sucking 2 band EQ.

I guess I'm lucky that we only payed $1 USD for it.
Strauss!

Quote by AeolianWolf

My experience with the stomp.... It sounded good off axis, but harsh on axis. I thought it was great, but my recorded tone from micing the cab sounded terrible.
Quote by fly135
My experience with the stomp.... It sounded good off axis, but harsh on axis. I thought it was great.

hmmm. maybe you didn't get the memo or something, but uh, we don't like the BBE sonic maximizer. so, why don't ya go ahead and fall in line.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yes, it is just an EQ or Tone pedal or whatever you want to call it. If I remember right it's just a modified variable state filter in there. Fancy talk for EQ!

I do have a few versions and they are ok if used sparingly. Not really worth the rack space or a space on a pedal board though.
It can help a less than stellar amp, but does NOTHING for a good amp.

My Vox AD30VT Valvetronix, it helped.

My AC30, Didn't do shit.
Sounds good if used subtly and dialed in correctly. Btw no midrange loss at all in my rig but I also know how to dial everything in correctly soooo....
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
first off i got one two years ago and its gone now, but i used it for around a year.

it sounded like shit on everything i plugged it into, but my god on the Valve King, it was the one thing (carefully balanced with amp's EQ) that made the VK worth playing. obviously we all know that the VK isn't the greatest amp, but the BBE really made it a lot more stomach-able.

should have mentioned on very low settings neither knob past noon.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Sounds good if used subtly and dialed in correctly. Btw no midrange loss at all in my rig but I also know how to dial everything in correctly soooo....

This was my experience as well. Wasn't the greatest thing ever, but it did what it was supposed to do, and in live settings it's kinda' amazing for tightening everything up (if you don't go nuts with your settings). I did notice it murdered any recording it was ever on (in a bad way).
BBE does advertise it as a 'phase alignment' effect. I'm no scientist... my understanding is that sound travels at the speed of sound, no faster or slower depending on frequency, though higher freqs will cover more total distance (like, if you streched the wave form out). Thus, as I understand it, the effect is designed to align the peaks of all waveforms of all frequencies from the given instrument... useful if you know what you're doing, but sounds like a broken ring modulator if you don't.

Gum, good to see you back!

EDIT: it's the last thing in your chain (looped) after any and all EQ, though some people perfer to run a reverb and/or delay after it. Anywhere else and... you'll experience unintentional side-effects (depending on the other gear in question).

EDIT2: I've also heard great results using it on a VK, B-52 AT-100, an old blue voodoo... it was a non-factor on both the voodoo modded dual rec and the vh4.

EDIT3: to clarify regarding recording with it, it's impossible to get a decent level while using it without clipping. with all of the waves stacked together, you get crazy spikes. you can slap a hard limiter on there... but i personally ****ing hate the end result on the tone. ymmv. I'm sure someone out there swears by it for [instrument]. i have heard of using it in a technique similar to side-chaining, but i'm not personally familiar with this enough to comment.
Last edited by GrisKy at Nov 14, 2011,
Quote by gumbilicious
hmmm. maybe you didn't get the memo or something, but uh, we don't like the BBE sonic maximizer. so, why don't ya go ahead and fall in line.
Does it help that mine is sitting in a drawer?
Quote by CodeMonk
It can help a less than stellar amp, but does NOTHING for a good amp.

My Vox AD30VT Valvetronix, it helped.

My AC30, Didn't do shit.

What he said....If you have a junk amp it might help...If you have a nice amp dont bother.

As for bass, I find it does work much better for bass than guitar BUT...I assume the same rule will apply. Crap amp use it, good amp NOO
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Sonic Maximizer's use frequency dependent delay, which I why 90% of TV and Radio stations will not broadcast without one in their signal flow. The people who said it was useless with a guitar or bass rig obviously have no idea what the Sonic Maximizer is. I would try it both in front of the amp and in the fx loop because it reacts differently in different amps. The concept it runs on is simple, it adjusts the rimming of you lows, mids, and highs to hit your ears at the same time rather than you lows lagging behind. It's adjust for sound physics to make what ever is going through it have its full tone hitting your ears, recording software, whatever it is at the same time.

Also, the 402 is an older model that I think has unbalanced outputs, not sure though off the top of my head.

Also if your suing it without an EQ in front of it, your just wasting time.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Last edited by Arch1119 at Nov 14, 2011,
Quote by Arch1119
Sonic Maximizer's use frequency dependent delay, which I why 90% of TV and Radio stations will not broadcast without one in their signal flow. The people who said it was useless with a guitar or bass rig obviously have no idea what the Sonic Maximizer is. I would try it both in front of the amp and in the fx loop because it reacts differently in different amps. The concept it runs on is simple, it adjusts the rimming of you lows, mids, and highs to hit your ears at the same time rather than you lows lagging behind. It's adjust for sound physics to make what ever is going through it have its full tone hitting your ears, recording software, whatever it is at the same time.

Also, the 402 is an older model that I think has unbalanced outputs, not sure though off the top of my head.

Also if your suing it without an EQ in front of it, your just wasting time.

You can't make different frequencies of sound travel slower than the speed of sound.
Quote by Zoot Allures
You can't make different frequencies of sound travel slower than the speed of sound.

Frequency dependent delay, it helps to read sometimes haha. I'm not saying the sound moves slower, it's kinda like cheating in a race where instead of letting the fatasses lose, you push them down the track so that they tie with the skinny kids.

Edit, poor analogy. it's like holding the skinny kids back while the fatasses get a headstart
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Last edited by Arch1119 at Nov 14, 2011,
Put it this way; there's a debate as to whether or not it does anything at all... That should tell you how useful it is.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Zoot Allures
Assuming that it actually does do what it says.... I would guess that it's compensating for phase alignment in the circuitry not in the sound waves after leaving the speaker.
Quote by fly135
Assuming that it actually does do what it says.... I would guess that it's compensating for phase alignment in the circuitry not in the sound waves after leaving the speaker.

Exactly what I trying to explain, thanks
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head