Hi I have a Peavey VTM 120 watts head + 4 x 12 avatar cab with celestion g12t75s. What can I use to play it at lower volumes? The cleans sound really nice on low volume though.
Gear:
-Peavey VTM 120
-Godin Lg (Dimarzio Evo2 and Air Norton)
-Fender MIM Strat with hotrails
-Custom Tele
-Dean Hardtail USA
-Dean 79 USA
the vol control
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

You mean the volume knob on it doesn't let you properly adjust your volume at low levels, right? If so, you can put a volume pedal in the loop, or any pedal that can handle line levels (pretty much anything outside of dirt pedals) and has a volume knob. It should be a pedal where you can dial out it's actual effect, obviously. That'd give you one more volume dial with which to control the whole thing. I'm using an EQ-pedal in my loop like this - it works, but at really low volumes, the amp sounds totally anemic.

You can try putting a lower gain tube in the phase-inverter position. An ECC81, for example. This is probably the cheapest method, but the impact isn't that big tbh.

There's also attenuators. They're expensive though and you may be asking more than those can offer.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 13, 2011,
Gear:
-Peavey VTM 120
-Custom Tele
-Dean Hardtail USA
-Dean 79 USA
Quote by TheQuailman
You mean the volume knob on it doesn't let you properly adjust your volume at low levels, right? If so, you can put a volume pedal in the loop, or any pedal that can handle line levels (pretty much anything outside of dirt pedals) and has a volume knob. It should be a pedal where you can dial out it's actual effect, obviously.

You can try putting a lower gain tube in the phase-inverter position. An ECC81, for example. This is probably the cheapest method, but the impact isn't that big tbh.

There's also attenuators. They're expensive though and you may be asking more than those can offer.

The problem with 120 watts amps is it take insane levels of volume to get any breakup with the amp even though the cleans sound great at low volumes. It think the attenuator is the way to go as I can adjust for smaller gigs and no need to fiddle with the amp itself.
Gear:
-Peavey VTM 120
-Custom Tele
-Dean Hardtail USA
-Dean 79 USA
You can invest in yellow jackets tube converters. they plug into your tube sockets and alow you to run el84 (and maybe 6v6) tubes for a much lower output. You don't even need to bias them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheQuailman
If this is for stage use then yes, an attenuator is your best shot.

Great thanks!
Gear:
-Peavey VTM 120
-Custom Tele
-Dean Hardtail USA
-Dean 79 USA
Quote by Mur
Nice, very pricey but nice none the less.

You didn't mention a budget

Quote by TheQuailman
You mean the volume knob on it doesn't let you properly adjust your volume at low levels, right? If so, you can put a volume pedal in the loop, or any pedal that can handle line levels (pretty much anything outside of dirt pedals) and has a volume knob. It should be a pedal where you can dial out it's actual effect, obviously. That'd give you one more volume dial with which to control the whole thing. I'm using an EQ-pedal in my loop like this - it works, but at really low volumes, the amp sounds totally anemic.

This is pretty much my train of thought as well, with an attenuator being the last option. I don't have much direct experience with attenuators but I thought they were more for getting power tube saturation for gigging and recording.

EQ pedal and Volume pedal get my vote. For home use, you could also consider getting a smaller cab like a 212 or pull two tubes and run at half power. Those last two ideas would only give you a very small reduction in volume and you would need to do some more research on how to do that safely and effectively.
If you're not worried about power tube or speaker distortion, I'd say getting a volume box is your best bet. I got one on ebay for $20, and it works just the way I need it.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Ok, here is what you do.

Get a bunch of really thick moving blankets.

Stuff them into a corner.

Point the cabinet down into the blankies. Make sure to pretty much surround it, real hard baby.

Stick a microphone in there.

Connect mic to PA.

Jam out to your hearts content.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Quinlan
If you're not worried about power tube or speaker distortion, I'd say getting a volume box is your best bet. I got one on ebay for $20, and it works just the way I need it.

The amp has a post gain knob. No need for a volume knob in the effects loop.
Post gain = master volume, right? On MY amp (can't speak for all amps honestly) keeping the master volume low muddies my sound. I can crank my master up to about 4 to keep my amp from being muddy, and then ratchet the volume back with the secondary volume control in my loop. It works for me at least
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.