Page 1 of 4
I am currently having a headache from thinking about what I could be studying after high school. No matter how much I love music, it won't be my subject - way too risky, I'll leave it as a hobby. What do you guys do or plan to do?
I have a degree in linguistics and am training to be a secondary English teacher. I'm currently teaching and will get full teacher status at the end of the year. It's pretty awesome.
I'm studying biology. Just about finishing up my undergrad.
After this, I have no idea what I'm going to do. I want to go to grad school, but I'm not sure what for.
MATTERHORN
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I have a degree in linguistics and am training to be a secondary English teacher. I'm currently teaching and will get full teacher status at the end of the year. It's pretty awesome.

GOD DAMN IT you stole my idea.

What the hell else you gonna do with a degree in linguistics?
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
I'm doing accounting. Thought I was going to be an engineer, but changed my mind.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Currently studying history.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I've got a BSc in Geology.

Cool stuff right there.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Linguistics FTW! Its actually more of a hobby for me. I study Slavic Language and Culture, but I'm taking Finnish and Arabic, along with Russian and Czech. Probably end up either as a rock star, a hobo, or a secret agent.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Secretarial work, possibly accounting. I still need to look into what I really love to do. It used to be veterinary medicine but I kinda lost my passion for it.
STಠ_ಠ
To study music technology then become an audio engineer.

Would be nice, but knowing me chances are lol
Just got my degree in Ops Research. OR is basically efficiency engineering, and highly sought after in almost any field. For my capstone I worked with a local private school, optimizing some of their different programs. They're saving ~$25,000/yr from my work. It's fun if you like math.
e-single
Gonna study computer science next year.

USC offers CS with an emphasis in game development, so that'd be pretty awesome if they accepted me. I think UC Irvine does too.
Well right now I'm not entirely sure. It'll either be Audio Engineering at SAE, or studying to become cabin crew at Emirates Aviation College.

I might do both. I love producing and making music, and I also love travel dearly.
Quote by arsenalstan
Just got my degree in Ops Research. OR is basically efficiency engineering, and highly sought after in almost any field. For my capstone I worked with a local private school, optimizing some of their different programs. They're saving ~$25,000/yr from my work. It's fun if you like math.

Dude, that's like ergonomics and six sigma.
Become a black belt in six sigma. They're in high demand and a lot of companies need people with it as it improves everything about companies.
I'd like to do either music production/engineering or something in media arts type of thing, like editing videos all that kinda nonsense. as far as 'serious business' degree I'm thinking something computer related, or whatever it is that you would study to become a guitar/amp builder, engineering I assume? But in a perfect world I would major in Nodding and minor in Pulling Glasses Off

[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Currently in my second year of a physics MSci. I'd recommend it if you like physics enough to do a physics degree.

stratkat
I'm majoring in English literature with a double minor in history & Russian language & cultural studies. I'm pretty sure my plan is to go to grad school.
Quote by neidnarb11890
I'm majoring in English literature with a double minor in history & Russian language & cultural studies. I'm pretty sure my plan is to go to grad school.

language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Quote by laid-to-waste
planning to study medicineeee

God help the patients that are under the knife of a doctor who thinks "flowers are people with colors".
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Dude, that's like ergonomics and six sigma.
Become a black belt in six sigma. They're in high demand and a lot of companies need people with it as it improves everything about companies.

A lot of the folks who I majored with are getting their black belts as we speak. They'll make some serious bank when they finish. I'm a pilot, so really nothing to do with my major, but I chose to do it because it was fun.
e-single
Quote by kaptkegan
Linguistics FTW! Its actually more of a hobby for me. I study Slavic Language and Culture, but I'm taking Finnish and Arabic, along with Russian and Czech. Probably end up either as a rock star, a hobo, or a secret agent.

If you wish to pass, don't take Arabic. I've spoken Arabic since I was a kid, but I can't pass an Arabic exam for the life of me. It's cause our grammar is more like math, but with words.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
If you wish to pass, don't take Arabic. I've spoken Arabic since I was a kid, but I can't pass an Arabic exam for the life of me. It's cause our grammar is more like math, but with words.

I'm taking it Pass/No Pass, instead of for a grade. I always found Finnish to be more like math, and Arabic to be more like insanity. But yeah, I think I'm gonna stop taking it.

Having to memorize every plural just...no.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

Quote by JAHellraiser
I'd like to do either music production/engineering or something in media arts type of thing, like editing videos all that kinda nonsense. as far as 'serious business' degree I'm thinking something computer related, or whatever it is that you would study to become a guitar/amp builder, engineering I assume? But in a perfect world I would major in Nodding and minor in Pulling Glasses Off

OT: Hopefully a Music Technology and Management Honours. Gets me a degree for studio work, and for PR or promoter work within the industry somewhere.
That's my failsafe anyway.

It'll probably fail.
I'm currently in my final year studying history. Hoping to go on to do a Master's. Don't know where.
Quote by Martis93
I am currently having a headache from thinking about what I could be studying after high school. No matter how much I love music, it won't be my subject - way too risky, I'll leave it as a hobby. What do you guys do or plan to do?

I chose to do music because it was the only thing that interested me. Even after a year and a half of taking Gen Ed classes at my college, I stiill hadn't found anything that I both liked and could get a solid career out of, so I went with music. Something like 75% of college graduates get a job outside of their degree anyway.
English Lit student yo, second year. Don't know what I want to do, gonna fund a home recording set up with whatever I end up doing, and hopefully get well known for my musics, one day.

honestly, i'm awesome
I am a baker/pastry chef.

EDIT: Didn't study at school though. I became an apprentice.
Last edited by master at Nov 13, 2011,
I'm studying music at a folk high school right now. (Only Scandinavians will have a complete idea of what I'm talking about here.)

Next year, I plan to study Computer Systems Engineering in the UK. I already hold (conditional) offers from the University of Bath and the University of Manchester.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
^congrats on your offers! I've applied for physics/theoretical physics. No offers just yet
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
I was thinking of studying Psychology after high school.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91
I was thinking of studying Psychology after high school.

Make sure you know what Psychology entails. A good degree course will involve a great deal of Maths and experimental design modules. Psychology is a science, many people seem not to realise that and end up dropping out quite early. The ratio of "cool interesting mindblowing facts about the human condition" to "boring design and analysis" is shocking.
Also, unless you can get into a really good university, don't bother. Massively competitive field and it requires postgraduate study.
Finally, ensure that you actually want to be a psychologist (which is very different than studying psychology) and can see yourself dealing with that on a day to day basis, or that you want to do research and can live with that lifestyle.

I did a degree in Psych in a top 100 University (at the time anyway). It was a great degree and I was very interested in what I studied, but I've since realised that being a Psychologist is not for me. Instead I'm going to teach Science. Hurrah!
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by McTodd
GOD DAMN IT you stole my idea.

What the hell else you gonna do with a degree in linguistics?

If you go down the postgrad route you can do research, computational linguistics so things like text-to-speech, optimised translation, voice recognition... Then there's copy editing, proofreading, subediting, other publishing jobs that require a very close amount of attention that having analysed texts so closely would give you skills in.

Teaching is amazing though, I wouldn't want to do any of those things. Sitting in one chair in the same room all day is so boring.
Page 1 of 4