I have an LTD Viper 401 with EMG-81 in bridge position and EMG-85 in neck position.

Even with the 85 cranked down away from the strings as far as possible and the 81 cranked up to as close to the strings as I can still play without hitting it with my pick, the 85 is still louder than the 81.

If I put them both the same distance from the strings, the 85 is ridiculously louder.

Is this normal?

The guitar plays fine with no glitches or scratches or anything indicating bad wiring.

TIA
Last edited by GregTheSnake at Nov 13, 2011,
Definitely sounds like a wiring issue, maybe the battery connections to the 85? Get it checked out at a music shop
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Ridiculously louder?

Resolder all the connections. Doing that usually fixes any problems you have, even if you don't know what the problem is.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
depends on what you mean by "ridiculously", but that might be normal. the 85 is more or less as hot as the 81 (maybe even hotter? ), and neck position pickups are louder than bridge, everything else being equal.

if the 85 is like 15 times as loud, though, then there's probably something wrong with the wiring, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the same issue with my LTD M-1000. It has two EMG 81, and the neck is noticeable louder...
You can definitely tell the difference when playing with a clean preset. Is that normal?
Ibanez RG821 + Ibanez TS9
Peavey Vypyr 30 + Sanpera

My song covers on YouTube
By "ridiculously louder", I mean that you could not switch pickups playing with a band without ruining the mix.

I just changed strings and plugged the 81 into the 85's wire harness. Unfortunately, the 81's harness is not long enough to reach the 85, so I can't do a proper wire swap.

I've been drinking all day so my opinion at this point is worthless. Tune in tomorrow.

;-)
Quote by zefs
I have the same issue with my LTD M-1000. It has two EMG 81, and the neck is noticeable louder...
You can definitely tell the difference when playing with a clean preset. Is that normal?

yes
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Neck position will always give more output. That is why with passive pickups you normally have a hotter pickup in the bridge to compensate. But with active pickups you can't do that. So the neck will be hotter for that reason.

The neck 85 will also be hotter because of the way that pickup's tone is set. The 85 is made to have more mids and mids are what come through loudest and most clearly with guitar. This is why when you scoop your mids right out on your amp you often have to turn the master volume up. Now when you're playing distorted the bump int he mids that the 85 has won't make it louder, it'll just increase the distortion a little bit. But playing clean these things tend to come through as a volume jump instead.

In addition to that the neck position is naturally bassier with more lows and mids.

Active pickups are also less effected by what height you put them at.

So put these four things together and you can see how a neck 85 can start to drown out a bridge 81.