Hi everyone.

Okay so i've broken my arm and i was wondering if any of you have any suggestions i can do to still help my playing? Thanks
Fret arm or picking arm?
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Get a keyboard. In the months you can't play guitar, you'll be able to play either the left or right hand parts for any keyboard tune, and this will help with the previous suggestion of learning theory.

When you can play guitar again, you'll have gained knowledge and practical experience of using that knowledge which you will then be able to use to further your guitar playing.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by FenderJamie
Picking arm, thanks guys

Well it looks like its time to get stupidly good at legato.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

^this
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
[quote="'[Azrael"]']^this
That
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by GaryBillington
Get a keyboard. In the months you can't play guitar, you'll be able to play either the left or right hand parts for any keyboard tune, and this will help with the previous suggestion of learning theory.

When you can play guitar again, you'll have gained knowledge and practical experience of using that knowledge which you will then be able to use to further your guitar playing.

^This.

Quote by valennic
Well it looks like its time to get stupidly good at legato.

^And this too.

Both are good ideas.
You should have had them set your arm for fingerpicking. Worked for Les Paul!
well, I was in the same boat a year ago (shoulder surgery, picking arm, 4 months of no playing)

a few things you can do:
1) learn some theory!! buy a theory book, take a class at a local college, use a keyboard, whatever. take the chance to learn some theory. also, start analyzing your favorite songs to see how they're put together. its amazing what looking at a song without playing does
2) learn to read notes. get an intro piano book and learn to read treble clef notation. it doesn't sound useful, but it will seriously help you to learn songs quickly if you can read with proper notation (as it shows timing and key signatures)
3) crank the gain on your amp, put a scrunchie on the nut (to mute the strings) and practice hammering on and pulling off scale and sweeping patterns (joe satriani has some amazing ones!)
4) learn your triads, scales and arpeggios. sounds boring, but you'll be amazed how much better your playing will be when you get back.

this is what I worked on when I couldn't play, and it really helped (I knew my note reading and had decent theory knowledge, but I got better). though it took a while to get speed and accuracy back up, I'm a more creative guitarist and more versatile as a result of it. plus, having all these new theory tricks to apply will allow you to come up with cool playing ideas even before you have your speed back (get it back slowly, let things heal and adjust before going nuts)
I broke my fretting arm a while back (like 5 years) and am still having some stiffness in turning it. I think it was a distil radius fracture....
Thanks everyone, can anyone with previous experience of this tell me how long it took to normal playing standards ?
ouch man. reminds me of when I had a finger to my fretting hand broken; huge-ass cast and 3 barely movable fingers - didn't stop me playing at all.
but it looks like pretty much everything that I had in mind (plus more) has already been mentioned...so I'll just...like...leave....
carve a notch in your cast and glue a pick in there.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by FenderJamie
Thanks everyone, can anyone with previous experience of this tell me how long it took to normal playing standards ?

it really varies on how long you're immobilized, what the specific injury was, how rigorous you are with physio and who you are (age, genetics, shit like that factors in here).

I've come back from a radial fracture of the wrist within a couple weeks (gigging standard, not perfect but certainly good). my shoulder surgery took over a year to get back from (I'm just up to speed now, though I gigged last new years), but that was a very significant injury and I had some fairly severe nerve and muscle damage
Quote by jpatan
carve a notch in your cast and glue a pick in there.

Goddamint you motherfucker you beat me to it!
Quote by FenderJamie

Obviously not the same thing, but I stopped playing for a couple of years a while back. When I started again, I pretty much just picked up where I left off (although I never claim to be brilliant at guitar...).

All I'm saying is don't force yourself to come back too soon. Wait until you're 100% healed. The playing ability won't desert you, but if you try coming back to it before you're ready the physical ability may not be there, which will be both frustrating and will risk causing further damage and forcing you to have more time off.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud