So I play rhythm guitar in an alt rock band, and need an electric, fast! I play White Stripes, RHCP, Billy Talent, Tenacious d, nirvana, soundgarden, that sort of stuff. However, we play our own alt rock and punk stuff in the band, and I need help!
wut
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by benedicto16
fender squier stratocaster

Nah, you can do better for under £300, look for used ibanez RGs, or jackson JS series
Quote by gman128
Nah, you can do better for under £300, look for used ibanez RGs, or jackson JS series

Not for the genre he's going for...

Look for a used Fender Strat HSS or an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
Quote by CrazyPigeon
Not for the genre he's going for...

Look for a used Fender Strat HSS or an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

OK a used MIM strat would do nicely, but there are loads of punk bands using the ibanez RG (fletch from pennywise for one), and they're easier on ur back for gigging than any les paul
Used Blacktop Fender would be ideal really if you can find one in your budget
what about a squier tele deluxe and swap pups out with the change from 300 quid?

would you buy used?
Quote by daverichards
what about a squier tele deluxe and swap pups out with the change from 300 quid?

would you buy used?

nah...
Or what about i get an epiphone les paul juniorand get an awesome pickup. I only use the bridge pup anyway, and they're meant to be good for punk
If you can get the Epi LP Jr that has the set neck then that might be an okay option. Just remember that you're giving up a lot by buying a guitar with only one pickup. I think most people end up regretting it.

It'd make more sense to get a HSS Strat. If that's too boring for you then maybe consider something with P90s. Look into Vintage guitars. They're like Epiphone and Squier or low-end Fender but they cost a little less because they don't have the big brand name. They make a Strat with three stacked P90s that can be used in either humbucker or plain single coil modes. That might be what you're looking for.

Or if you want to stick to big brand names then for Squier stick to the Classic Vibe models and for Epiphone don't buy anything less than a Standard/400. That's the line where you're going to get decent quality for your money.
Quote by grohl1987
If you can get the Epi LP Jr that has the set neck then that might be an okay option. Just remember that you're giving up a lot by buying a guitar with only one pickup. I think most people end up regretting it.

It'd make more sense to get a HSS Strat. If that's too boring for you then maybe consider something with P90s. Look into Vintage guitars. They're like Epiphone and Squier or low-end Fender but they cost a little less because they don't have the big brand name. They make a Strat with three stacked P90s that can be used in either humbucker or plain single coil modes. That might be what you're looking for.

Or if you want to stick to big brand names then for Squier stick to the Classic Vibe models and for Epiphone don't buy anything less than a Standard/400. That's the line where you're going to get decent quality for your money.

What about the modern player tele plus or the special lp junior with double p90s
The Fender Modern Players are MIC. You're getting a Squier-quality guitar but paying extra for the Fender name.

As for LPs, like I said don't touch anything below a Standard. Some of the limited run guitars should be okay too, it varies. But don't touch any Epiphone that says 'Junior' or 'Special' or 'Studio' unless it's part of one of the limited editions. Even then double check the exact model. Epiphone's website lists every limited run they've done. As an easy rule if it has a bolt-on neck don't touch it.
Quote by grohl1987
The Fender Modern Players are MIC. You're getting a Squier-quality guitar but paying extra for the Fender name.

As for LPs, like I said don't touch anything below a Standard. Some of the limited run guitars should be okay too, it varies. But don't touch any Epiphone that says 'Junior' or 'Special' or 'Studio' unless it's part of one of the limited editions. Even then double check the exact model. Epiphone's website lists every limited run they've done. As an easy rule if it has a bolt-on neck don't touch it.

Yeah, just thought it sounded pretty damn versatile, what with it being an HSS
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro. I don't know why they put the "pro" at the end. Looks great, affordable, sounds RIDICULOUS with adjustable pickups.
Last edited by St.Jimmypunk at Jan 28, 2012,
I play punk/pop punk(think of anything blink-182)/punk rock(think Screaming Bloody Murder by Sum 41)/alternative rock(think of the song "Pieces" by Sum 41)/metal(master of puppets - metallica)/heavy metal(this is the new sh*t - marilyn manson)/metal core(alesana)/classic rock(think beatles). Squier Deryck Whibley Telecaster. Horrid Specs. You could add a SD JB. I didn't because I play a bit of classic rock