what does that mean?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii235/Tikijake10/IMG_0788.jpg these are the three wires coming from the pickups. Can someone tell me what each one is because the diagram is missing the unsheilded one and I have no idea what it is.
(\__/)
Last edited by spartanhero at Dec 20, 2011,
Thanks. But can someone please help me out with what each of the wires coming from the pickups are? I posted a picture of them in my last post.
(\__/)
is the black shielded one also ground?
(\__/)
why are there two grounds?
(\__/)
Technically the black is the start of the coil, and the white is the finish. The start of the coil is always grounded though. The bare wire is the actual ground wire.
the unjacketed ground is a sheilding. If you cut away the insulation over the cable, it should be at the very least twisted around the hot and neutral wires. A bit of terminology, a cable is a set of wires running through a larger insulation. In a cable, the wires are called conductors. when you order cables from electronics suppliers, you have to specify the number of conductors and whether it's sheilded or not, which adds another conductor. The sheilding ground is to stop rf noise from leaking into your signal path
thank you so much for your explanations. One more question if I am grounding the picupks to the back of the volume pot what do I ground to the jack?
(\__/)
The volume pot isn't actually the final destination for the ground, it's just a place where all the grounds meet up. All these grounds go to the jack; you need to connect the shielding from the wire going to the jack to the ground wires on the back of the pot. You also need to run a ground wire from the back of the pot to the bridge, otherwise there's nothing actually grounding anything.
^what shielding from the wire going to the jack?
(\__/)
If you cut open the wire, there'll be a small conductor inside, wrapped in more wire, like this:

The outer wire is the shielding. Connect that to the grounds on the back of the pot on one end, and to the ground lug of the jack on the other end.
Last edited by blaaargh at Dec 26, 2011,
the wire coming from my pickup looks like this http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/...10/IMG_0788.jpg not like the one you posted

I used a gibson style switch instead of the one shown and is this the correct way for it to be wired?
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii235/Tikijake10/IMG_0827.jpg
(\__/)
Last edited by spartanhero at Dec 27, 2011,
My bad, I forgot to check your wiring diagram. It looks like the diagram's telling you to run the ground to wherever you're earthing the grounds from your pots. I've never seen a diagram quite like this before - most teles are wired like this:

For your second question, that is the correct way to wire the switch, assuming the red wire's going to ground. Make sure you jumper the two pins at the top when you wire up the output. Also, have you made sure that switch will fit in your control cavity? I've heard of other people who tried to fit a Gibson switch in a tele, only to find that it didn't.
what do you mean earthing my grounds too? And what do you mean jumper?
(\__/)
You need to give your grounds a path to earth, otherwise they won't actually be grounded. This is usually done by running a wire to the bridge. Jumpering the pins just means connecting them with a little wire.
what are those two pins at the top for anyway?
(\__/)
okay thanks so much for your help. Do i solder that wire to the volume pots case?
(\__/)
Quote by blaaargh
If you cut open the wire, there'll be a small conductor inside, wrapped in more wire, like this:

The outer wire is the shielding. Connect that to the grounds on the back of the pot on one end, and to the ground lug of the jack on the other end.

what wire are you talking about and showing in the picture in this post?
(\__/)
o the wire that im using doesnt have two pieces like that
(\__/)
In that case, just run a wire from wherever your pups are grounded to the sleeve of the output jack. In general, though, you should try to use shielded wire, as it'll cut down on noise.