Hey everyone, I'm finally upgrading to a tube amp. but I want some thoughts from more experienced guys before I go spending any cash on one. I think I narrowed it down to two; the valveking 212 and the 6505 112. I've got about 450 or so to spend on an amp and have found both of these used on ebay for about that much. I play mostly metal, kerry king and dimebag are my two biggest inspirations. I've got an ibanez s series and ltd f250, both with emgs.

Now, here's the dilemna, I use a pedal for distortion most of the time and it's sounded great through most every amp its gone through so far, and it's got a bit of a different feel to it then most. Which is just neat to me. Also, is the 100 watts too much? We used to play straight though a 1200 watt mixer and were close to getting drowned out by the drums. My 120 watt solid state could *barely get over him. And I mean barely. So I'm worried about the 50 being too little.

Sorry for the huge post, and thanks in advance for any help!
*insert witty statement here*
6505+ combo, not even a contest. The VK is junk in comparison for what you want.

Ditch the distortion pedal and get an overdrive instead. The difference in volume between 50/60w and 100/120w isn't large enough that you'll ever notice it, as it requires you to basically crank the thing full up. 60w tube is much louder than 120w solid state.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
those owld be fine amps
if you need a but more volume you could get a cab for them

tube amps can get pretty loud ive gigged a few medium sized gigs with a 30 watt tube amp(AC30 love that thing) and had no problems getting over the drummer
Any well known bands who who use overdrive over distortion? (Just my own curiosity) id like to get out and try some but I don't know how soon it'll happen.

Now, when you say over your drummer you mean regular people right? Ours is kind of... over the top. Like rediculously loud. Lol.
Last edited by metalhead352 at Nov 13, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
6505+ combo, not even a contest. The VK is junk in comparison for what you want.

Fallacies, but the 6505+ is a safer bet, you can't really go wrong with that for metal.
Quote by The jazz Man
Zakk Wylde pushes his tube amps with overdrive. Need i say more?

All i needed.
What tones are you looking for? I mean, the 6505+ and the Valveking don't really sound very similar.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I'm sure someone will laugh at me for using this but I love my zoom 505. And to be honest I would like to keep using it possibly. Just for the sake of it sounding different than what most people use. I don't like trying to look for someone elses tone necessarily, but I love dimebags, john 5s and Fredrik Thordendals sounds.

The biggest reason I was looking at the valveking was for it supposedly having a better clean channel, again, so I could use my pedal.

EDIT: I'm not against just getting a tube screamer and modding it though. (or anything else of the like.)
Last edited by metalhead352 at Nov 13, 2011,
Based on your inspirations, it sounds like you are into old-school thrash metal, and while the 6505 would certainly work for that it's a bit too modern-voiced, made more for metalcore and death metal, etc.

You might be able to score a used Marshall JCM DSL2000 combo for $450. It's British voiced so it will sound better for your kind of stuff. Don't get me wrong, the 6505 would work, but it wouldn't be the best IMO.

EDIT: Well, what do you know: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MARSHALL-JCM-2000-DSL-201-COMBO-106272752-i1760917.gc?&source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=750044469#

DSL2000 for exactly $450.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Nov 13, 2011,
Kerry King uses JCM800s with MXR boost pedals IIRC. You could get there with a used Jet City JCA50, they have a kinda hot-rodded-marshally type tone.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
I should have mentioned that the band I'm in is trying to do a lot more in the way of modern metal, like job for a cowboy, in flames, carnifex. But I'm trying to bring some of the old stuff into it too. (sorry for being complicated by the way.
Quote by metalhead352
I should have mentioned that the band I'm in is trying to do a lot more in the way of modern metal, like job for a cowboy, in flames, carnifex. But I'm trying to bring some of the old stuff into it too. (sorry for being complicated by the way.
In that case, 6505 would probably be the best in this situation. What would be perfect for you would be a 6534, but there aren't very high chances of getting one of those under $1000 used.
God if I had the cash I'dve picked one of those up awhile ago. They had one at a local guitarshop. I'm convinced it's what heaven feels like.

Alright it does sound like the 6505 might be my best bet. Thanks a ton for all the help guys!