I want to buy an acoustic guitar that I would be able to play with live and sing as well. So what are the differences really between acoustic guitars and electro acoustic guitars? which would make more sense to get if I also want to play non mic'd up?

Thanks.
My Gear!

Guitar:
ESP: LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)

Amp:
Roland Cube 30X
Behringer 10 watt amp
Get whatever you want, you can easily fit a pickup later anyway, I prefered my electro accoustic because it had a cut away but you could get a better pickup later and fit it to a regular accoustic.
Twidler is right. It doesn't really matter which one you get because you can add a pickup to the normal acoustic and you can play acoustic-electric guitars without an amp too.
Tbh they're both nice enough looking and made by a good company but personally I'd be reluctant to actually buy one without trying it first, you just can't tell how good the tone and feel are without trying them.
difference is one can go direct while the other can't.

Having the option to go direct is nice I guess.. but I personally wouldn't ever use it for anything serious because it sounds so awful.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Nov 13, 2011,
That's a matter of opinion, some sound great and some don't, some of the aftermarket fitted ones sound great and some don't.
first off, money that would have been put into the guitar goes into electronics. as an example, you can get an all solid acoustic for around $500 or a solid top laminate b&s acoustic electric. also most cutaways are found on acoustic electrics.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
first off, money that would have been put into the guitar goes into electronics. as an example, you can get an all solid acoustic for around $500 or a solid top laminate b&s acoustic electric. also most cutaways are found on acoustic electrics.
It might be better to pick out a guitar that you want that can be bought either acoustic or A-E, and bite the bullet at the outset on the price difference of the electronic model.

Factory installed electronics are usually more professionally done, and slightly less expensive than a retrofit.

Being far from a purist, I wouldn't buy a pure acoustic guitar today. I have done it in the past, and always wound up kicking myself for not paying the extra money for the A-E model.
Gotta agree with Captaincranky on this one, i like my electronics factory fitted. Cheers
once again.. cranky and patti speak wisdom beyond my simple possible explanation. i have 11 acoustics, all but 1 are a/e. i rarely plug them in but it's much easier to use the manufacturers electronics( my ovations even have built in tuners!). most of the time the electronics are useless, but when i need them it's priceless! retro-fitted ones dont usually sound as good.
If you are going to perform outside of your living room or front porch, you are going to have to amplify. You can mic the guitar, or you can use an onboard pickup.
With a mic, you are tied to a particular spot; with a PU you can move around if you wish.

Thousands of professionals use onboard electronics....The sound is tailored at the amp/soundboard.