my friend had a stagg lp and impo it was very crappy. not even close to a genuine les paul at all.
It will be a buzzy Les Paul copy, opposed to your buzzy strat copy. I started on a Stagg myself, modded the hell out of it and it still is not really worth it.
If you are in the US try looking at Agiles at rondomusic.com or at Guitarfetish.com right now at guitarfetish they are doing a christmas warehouse sale so you can get a mahogany body, set neck les paul with some nice pickups for between $139 to $190.
I have a Stagg Strat and it sucks big time. Well, it's good for a beginner, but it's mediocre at best. Comfortable to play, but terrible sound.
I have no sig
If you are looking at Stag I am guessing you are UK? If so look at the brand called Vintage.
I had a Stagg flying V as my first guitar. The pickups were the muddiest i had ever heard and they weren't even wax-potted properly, so they would squeal microphonically with any amount of gain.

The frets were coming out of the fingerboard and the neck pocket was cut incorrectly, so the neck didn't sit straight at all inside the body.

Worst guitar i have ever personally come across. Live everyone else has said, if you're in the states, you're lucky that Rondomusic can hook you up with a decent guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
If it's a cheap LP you're looking for, check out Gould. They make excellent budget guitars, their LP costs around £150 new or can be found used on eBay for about £70-80ish.

I've got one and in my opinion it's as good as, if not better than most Epiphones.

Check out the review I posted of it:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/gould/glp100/index.html

Also in the comments at the bottom of the page I've posted a link to a video on Youtube where Rob Chappers reviews it. He loved it, and you don't get a better recommendation than that.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I live in newfoundland and I beleive there is only a few guitar stores around here, mainly http://www.long-mcquade.com/
So finding a good deal on a guitar here is kind of difficult it seems.

I can get an Epiphone LP special II for a good price, but they seem to be pretty lack luster. I do have my heart set on an LP style guitar though.
Last edited by Visionist at Nov 14, 2011,
To be honest, you'd probably be better off getting the Epiphone. One of my guitars is a Stagg and I'd rate it as an average beginner guitar at best.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

Also in the comments at the bottom of the page I've posted a link to a video on Youtube where Rob Chappers reviews it. He loved it, and you don't get a better recommendation than that.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Not convinced unless the gould comes with a certificate of epic winticity.

Then go watch the video. Here's a link straight to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-aivJQKXc

Chappers knows what he's talking about - you don't get your own brand of signature guitars without knowing what's what, and he recommends this guitar pretty highly in that video.

TS - Unfortunately I'd have no idea if they were available in Newfoundland or not. If they are, it's a good option. Like I said in the last post though, you'd be better off with the Epiphone than the Stagg.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Nov 14, 2011,
I started on a Stagg. They're bloody awful. Don't waste your money.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
i had one as my living room noodle on while watching tv guitar and it wasn't even good for that. skip it. plugged in it sounds very little like a real LP. the pups are crap and honestly even after a pickup change it still sucked.
For some reason, Dave_Mc decided to post his reply to this thread in a different thread. I don't see any logic behind that, but the response suggested that Gould may be made by Barnes & Mullens, the same company which makes Chapman guitars.

I just checked the B&M website, they do make Gould, but there was no mention of Chapman guitars (although that doesn't necessarily mean they don't make them).

If they are made by the same company, then I agree with the comment in the other thread that Chappers would be biased towards them (and I've seen him make comments that he's become a glorified salesman too!), but it doesn't change the fact that for the price they are excellent.

In the past I've owned both Gibsons and Epiphones, Gretschs and Electromatics, and Fenders MIA & MIM (no Squiers yet though) and I currently own 2 Goulds. I would rate Gould on a par with Epiphone and Electromatic. Considering they're half the cost of those guitars, that's why I always say they are excellent for the price.

Still not sure why you'd post a reply in a different thread where the person you were responding to may not see it though.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by coolstoryangus
That was me. Chapman guitars started off as a signature gould i'm pretty sure. Look at prototype 1..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaOB0inn2bs&feature=relmfu
GOULD
titface

Fair enough - apologies to Dave, didn't spot he was responding there to someone else quoting this thread. Still not sure why you'd post it in a different thread though, how come you didn't just make your point here originally?

Never knew about the potential link between Chapman Guitars & Gould before, but if thats how Chapman got started, it's a pretty bizarre relationship as his guitars are more expensive than Gould now!

Will check out the video when I get home - at work at the moment & they don't let me see youtube
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
wait, where did i reply in the wrong thread?

But yeah i mean they might be fine (I haven't tried them), i was just arguing against the argument from authority. chappers has so many endorsements etc. now that you can't really considering him an independent reviewer any more (if he ever was, I dunno if he was or not ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Like I said in the last post, I didn't notice you were responding to someone else's post about this thread in the tin foil hat club thread.

Chappers definitely used to be impartial - we used to work for the same company a few years ago and I had a couple of lessons off him before he became e-famous. Like you said though, now he has a lot of endorsements so he probably has to provide good reviews for the companies who sponsor him.

I can't really say any more than his video that I linked to convinced me to buy my first Gould, but I liked that one enough to buy my 2nd and I'll probably get a 3rd one when/if I see one at the right price on eBay, so I always consider them a good recommendation for someone looking for a good cheap guitar.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud

oh ok, that's cool that you sorta know him
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He probably is impartial in person... but he makes a lot of money advertising products so its very unlikely you'll see him give something a negative review...
oh yeah, i mean i'm not saying you can't trust him or anything... but the instant you're getting paid, by definition, you cease being impartial. There might even be a psychological component, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

oh ok, that's cool that you sorta know him

Only 'sorta' though, and it was a few years ago. He had short hair & no beard then
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You want to upgrade from a buzzy strat copy, don't get a buzzy LP copy. That looks awful, buy a $400 agile, better quality than epiphone, much cheaper than gibson.
Quote by griffRG7321
Listen to this guy ^

Quote by Mad Marius
Nu-metal:

- tumble dryer
- cat
- pitch shifter
Quote by coolstoryangus
kinda like now?

He's chopped it all off again? Last time I saw anything about him he had really long hair & a beard!

It was almost as long as my hair used to be before too much of it fell out
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Save up for a used Epi Les Paul. Ive got a korean les paul standard with dimarzio super distortions pickups and it sounds very close to a gibson les paul
If you're in the US I definitely recommend looking at Agiles on rondomusic, but just to counter all the negative Stagg views, I'd like to mention that I bought a Stagg strat (for dirt cheap so I didn't really care if it was great or not), and I was pleasantly surprised. It had minor cosmetic differences, such as I tried to switch the pickguard with a Fender pickguard and it didn't fit perfectly. However, playability was more or less good for what it was. I did a side by side comparison with my MIM strat. The Fender is definitely heavier and better built, however, comfort wise I was able to switch easily between the two, and happily too. No major flaws, no uneven frets or anything like that.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I would DEFINITELY not go for a Stagg. You're in Newfoundland too, did you try it at Music City? I tuned every guitar in that shop two or three times(high school Career hours, fun times. =D xD), and let me say(along with most others here), Staggs are, without a doubt, the worst guitars in that store. xD The Vintages they have are nice and I don't think they're much more(I had a Vintage SG from there for some time, I paid $470 for it, and I think the Staggs are $350, 400-ish...?), however, try them out! Also, that Stagg's alder-bodied, you're not gonna get a very LP-ish tone out of that. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.