Hey guys I posted in the Gear ads that me and my friend are making a few custom pedalboards after I finished building mine the other day. I was thinking of what to price them at, and was wondering if you think they would be worth what I was asking.

Ill post some pics of mine, which is a completely custom one with built in locking 1/4" jacks for everything, lights, and a plexiglass top, which will be additional features available.

This is when it was still in the works but its a good shot of the design and you can see how large it is. This one was 24" X 18".

This one you can see the locking 1/4" jacks and the built in switches for the different lights on the right side of the board. Also obviously we cut out a section for my bands logo to be light up when the lights shine, which will be an option.

Sorry this one is a bit blurry, but it shows the built in Twist lock power cable, and you can see the wiring done on the inside a little bit.

Heres a video of the lights inside the pedalboard. Sorry for the shit quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTMxVr9VdlU

There will be a base price then go up from there depending on what other features were added.

Base would probably be between 150 and 200 USD to cover parts mainly. It would cover the diamond plate used for the sides, a black top with velcro for pedals, hinged bottom for easy access, a twist lock power cable and an internal power strip for internal wiring, handles, and 2 locking 1/4" jacks for an in and out pre-wired.

Extra locking jacks (I have 5 for the possibility of running an effects loop and 2 outputs) would probably be $10 each

Plexiglass top would probably be an additional $75 due to the extra internal support needed and the issue of dealing with the plexiglass

Lights would be an additional $75 as well to cover cost and instiallation of a built in on/off switch.

Cut-out Logo would be $50 extra.

Basically a lot of the extra costs would be for materials alone, but a lot of the stuff did take a while to make. So do you guys think those are reasonable prices, and would you think it would be something people would want? I think its definitely the coolest pedalboard Ive seen and honestly the stock ones with built in power from guitar center run more than these do. Thanks!

Oh and if you like them and are interested in one let me know!
I can't even tell what is going on in the second pic. Just looks like a metal box with plexiglass on the top.
What would I pay? I cut part of my computer desk up and turned it into a pedal board.

It's a board, that holds pedals.

Other than that initial question, this is advertising.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
honstly, i wouldn't go for it at all. i have built four pedal boards for myself, kind of evolving the first three, but the fourth was the keeper. they are easy to do.

also i am not sure if you have seen it there is a simple way posted online where you can make a board for like $<50(?) with a few things from IKEA.

also it would be for sure a no if it is just a power strip. i would expect something along the lines of a voodoo lab power pedal power unit.

i dont know anybody who would pay ~$250 for a pedalboard. i am not saying there isn't somebody out there, but none of the musicians i know. i have a friend who did the ikea one it it was very nice. and you said that that first price was mainly in parts, you have to factor in your own labor. if you are going to build it and profit $50 but spend 4-6 hours on it (no idea just obscure number) you are looking at $8 to $12 per man hour invested in it. i dont know about you, but there are easier and better ways to make more than that if you are doing this for some form of income, whether it be primary or supplemental.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Not advertising, just asking to see if i did end up making these if I would be over charging. As of right now there is no product to sell.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
honstly, i wouldn't go for it at all. i have built four pedal boards for myself, kind of evolving the first three, but the fourth was the keeper. they are easy to do.

also i am not sure if you have seen it there is a simple way posted online where you can make a board for like $<50(?) with a few things from IKEA.

also it would be for sure a no if it is just a power strip. i would expect something along the lines of a voodoo lab power pedal power unit.

i dont know anybody who would pay ~$250 for a pedalboard. i am not saying there isn't somebody out there, but none of the musicians i know. i have a friend who did the ikea one it it was very nice. and you said that that first price was mainly in parts, you have to factor in your own labor. if you are going to build it and profit $50 but spend 4-6 hours on it (no idea just obscure number) you are looking at $8 to $12 per man hour invested in it. i dont know about you, but there are easier and better ways to make more than that if you are doing this for some form of income, whether it be primary or supplemental.

Mine cost about 120 in parts, so I figure taking away the plexiglass, the lights, the few hours it took to wire it, id be getting about 100 back a board for a basic one.

And yeah, I agree a voodoo labs power supply would be ideal and that may be an option, but with mine I had a daisy chain already that works for the pedals I have and I figured instead of dropping the $120 or so for the Power Brick, that would get me by. The market for DIY guitarists may not be who to market it to, but take a look at Dream Monkey and Trailer Trash Pedalboards. They do boards and generally the startup costs for them is 200-250, and if you get one with lights and plexiglass you could be looking at a $600 board by the time you are done.
Last edited by thetoastinator at Nov 13, 2011,
Quote by thetoastinator
Not advertising, just asking to see if i did end up making these if I would be over charging. As of right now there is no product to sell.

Ah, well. It looks like it would be heavy and dangerous.

Cool looking, but not really practical.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I wouldn't pay anything more than parts cost. Building a board is dead simple
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Ah, well. It looks like it would be heavy and dangerous.

Cool looking, but not really practical.

Its actually not too bad for it being made out of metal. Probably no heavier than 15 pounds or so with all the pedals on it. And its more for looks than anything else. Not necessarily for a bedroom player. I have a small powered board that works fine for that. This is for when Im on stage and wanna have some lights or something to play with. Its all for visual appeal, although the internal wiring does make an easy stage setup. I have all the cords plugging into one central spot so I have them all cable tied together, and I can set up the board on stage in 10 seconds.
Quote by thetoastinator

Mine cost about 120 in parts, so I figure taking away the plexiglass, the lights, the few hours it took to wire it, id be getting about 100 back a board for a basic one.

And yeah, I agree a voodoo labs power supply would be ideal and that may be an option, but with mine I had a daisy chain already that works for the pedals I have and I figured instead of dropping the $120 or so for the Power Brick, that would get me by. The market for DIY guitarists may not be who to market it to, but take a look at Dream Monkey and Trailer Trash Pedalboards. They do boards and generally the startup costs for them is 200-250, and if you get one with lights and plexiglass you could be looking at a $600 board by the time you are done.

first off the lack of a pedal power unit would kill it for me. right there, no go. that kills it. that lowers the quality of your product in my opinion.

i am very familiar with Dream Monkey and Trailer Trash, but they IMO look quite a bit better than what you are doing. not to be a jerk.

all of you $75 up charges are ridiculous blaming the increase of plexiglass on the cost to brace it??? another thing that would kill it for me is i wouldn't go plexiglass at all, i would only go lexan, which i do realize that is quite a bit more expensive. its a durability factor right there.

dont underestimate the DIY guitarists and their projects, a lot of us do it, as somebody else said they cut one off of a table.

i do a lot of projects, i build cabs and head cabs, starting on amps (learning it a little bit at t time), i am on my second, and i have built a pedal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
all of you $75 up charges are ridiculous blaming the increase of plexiglass on the cost to brace it??? another thing that would kill it for me is i wouldn't go plexiglass at all, i would only go lexan, which i do realize that is quite a bit more expensive. its a durability factor right there.

both plexiglass and lexan are brand names for acrylic and polycarbonate respectively
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by lbj273
both plexiglass and lexan are brand names for acrylic and polycarbonate respectively

yes, but lexan is considerably stronger.

edit. i forgot to mention that lexan is used to make things bullet-proof (granted it is not the thin stuff)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 13, 2011,
very much so, just pointing it out for the OPs sake.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273
very much so, just pointing it out for the OPs sake.

it would potentially easier with lexan, as it may not need a brace.

i have shot at a lot of things messing around and hunting. my uncle has a farm in Minnesota, and i bring my AK47 or AR15 up there and use his .44 mag and 10mm. so mostly higher powered guns. you really dont know how much safer you would be in a car with lexan windows that plexiglass or glass. we were shooting lexan up one time, and it held up quite nicely. i dont remember shooting at plexiglass, but the lexan proved pretty tough. TV's are fun though especially with an assault rifle (that was a genreral statement, i know TV's dont have lexan).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 14, 2011,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
first off the lack of a pedal power unit would kill it for me. right there, no go. that kills it. that lowers the quality of your product in my opinion.

i am very familiar with Dream Monkey and Trailer Trash, but they IMO look quite a bit better than what you are doing. not to be a jerk.

dont underestimate the DIY guitarists and their projects, a lot of us do it, as somebody else said they cut one off of a table.

i do a lot of projects, i build cabs and head cabs, starting on amps (learning it a little bit at t time), i am on my second, and i have built a pedal.

Not trying to be argumentative here bro, just asking a few questions. Not trying to underestimate anyone either. Like I said, if you are a DIY guy, no, I wouldnt buy one of these either. As you can tell, I didnt. Instead of going with Trailer trash or Dream Monkey I decided I wanted to build my own.

Never said they were hard to build they just take some time. But if you dont have the time, patience or tools, and have the money and desire for a cool looking board, then getting one built could be an option. And yeah Ive looked at lexan before, it just wasnt cheap and readily available when I did mine, so I threw a support bracket in the board, drilled really slow and the plexiglass worked fine.

As far as the power brick goes, thats something easy a shit to put in. If someone honestly wanted one in there and it was a deciding factor of whether to purchase or not, hell yeah Ill order one and throw it in. You would pay for the cost of the power brick, just like how Dream Monkey does it.
Quote by thetoastinator
Not trying to be argumentative here bro, just asking a few questions. Not trying to underestimate anyone either. Like I said, if you are a DIY guy, no, I wouldnt buy one of these either. As you can tell, I didnt. Instead of going with Trailer trash or Dream Monkey I decided I wanted to build my own.

Never said they were hard to build they just take some time. But if you dont have the time, patience or tools, and have the money and desire for a cool looking board, then getting one built could be an option. And yeah Ive looked at lexan before, it just wasnt cheap and readily available when I did mine, so I threw a support bracket in the board, drilled really slow and the plexiglass worked fine.

As far as the power brick goes, thats something easy a shit to put in. If someone honestly wanted one in there and it was a deciding factor of whether to purchase or not, hell yeah Ill order one and throw it in. You would pay for the cost of the power brick, just like how Dream Monkey does it.

We are not trying to dis you. We are just saying that making a pedal board that can survive an atomic holocaust is just not practical especially when you are going to charge that much for one. Go ahead and do it and see if any noobs bite. All power to you.
Lexan or your product will break.
Plexiglass is far to fragile IMO for something that is gonna get stepped regularly.
A piece of Lexan that size is about less than $30 around here.

And this is advertizing. KInda frowned upon here.
Try the gear ads section maybe.
Quote by thetoastinator

you do make a good point. i do realize that there a lot of people who just buy things, and dont make them or aren't mechanically inclined, or dont have the time.

when i said that i didn't know anyone who would buy it, i meant friends of mine or people i know in the music community. thats all. i didn't say nobody on this earth.

as far as the power brick goes, i realize it would take 5 minutes to install once you buy a pedal board from him, but if i am paying $2XX for a pedalboard, that would be a given. again my opinion.

as far as the plexiglass thing. its kind of a pain in the ass to work with and easy to crack until you get used to using it a lot, i have had to brace it too, but to charge $70 for it is wayyyyyyy to much. it could be cheaper than what that 'black top' you are saying you have depending on what it is made of and what it is covered in, etc. plexiglass is pretty cheap if you pick up a big piece. i have used it extensively.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Search for polycarbonate at mcmastercarr.com, if you buy another brand than Lexan it will be cheaper
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by CodeMonk
Lexan or your product will break.
Plexiglass is far to fragile IMO for something that is gonna get stepped regularly.
A piece of Lexan that size is about less than $30 around here.

And this is advertizing. KInda frowned upon here.
Try the gear ads section maybe.

thats really what i am thinking. i haven't bought lexan for a while, so i dont know the price around here nor the dimensions of that persons board. there is a lumberyard/construction supply place around here that sometimes has pieces of lexan that are the scraps to a different client's custom dimensions that they cut at the yard. it was pretty cheap there, but you had to sort through a decent sized bin, and sometimes there would be good pieces, sometimes they would be like two inches wide and 8 feet long.

but i agree 100% with monk. plexiglass will break.

if you are going to do this right you would almost have to do it with lexan. that is unless you cheap out and your customers boards start cracking and you get complaints and loose your clientele base, and the quality associated with your brand.

again, this is constructive, i am not trying to be a jerk, but rather am trying to help.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

as far as the plexiglass thing. its kind of a pain in the ass to work with and easy to crack until you get used to using it a lot, i have had to brace it too, but to charge $70 for it is wayyyyyyy to much. it could be cheaper than what that 'black top' you are saying you have depending on what it is made of and what it is covered in, etc. plexiglass is pretty cheap if you pick up a big piece. i have used it extensively.

True, the sheet itself cost about 25 I believe, then like I said it was just a pain in the ass to get it to not crack while I was drilling through it. The black top stuff Ive used in the past is basically like truck bed liner style plastic, but it would be on top of a piece of plywood or something just to keep it supported. That or just maybe a piece of fully velcro-d plywood would work. So maybe 40 or so would be a better price for the addition of plexiglass? That way it covers the cost and the extra care, but if I used the Lexan it would probably be like 10 more.

Edit: and as to the plexiglass will break, I am actually curious as to how durable mine will be now. I guess Ill gig with it for a while and see if it breaks! Its not a hard thing to re-drill and I would most likely use Lexan then afterwards
Last edited by thetoastinator at Nov 14, 2011,
Quote by thetoastinator
True, the sheet itself cost about 25 I believe, then like I said it was just a pain in the ass to get it to not crack while I was drilling through it. The black top stuff Ive used in the past is basically like truck bed liner style plastic, but it would be on top of a piece of plywood or something just to keep it supported. That or just maybe a piece of fully velcro-d plywood would work. So maybe 40 or so would be a better price for the addition of plexiglass? That way it covers the cost and the extra care, but if I used the Lexan it would probably be like 10 more.

honestly just eliminate the word "plexiglass" from your vocabulary, if you want them to go over well, and last and establish a name. go for lexan. Scott Splawn uses lexan for the front of a cutout on the head cab on my Promod, and that obviously isn't structural, its a quality thing.

and again, i would market it mainly as it has the pedal power, but leave an option for it to come off, in case they already have one or whatever. show both prices so they can make a choice.

if you are serious about this, you have to establish your name, and that means getting in there with Trailer Trash and Dream Monkey, most likely you would be the 'cost cutter' you would have to be cheaper and appear to (and hopefully have) and equal (and hopefully better) product. once you establish clientele you would raise you price slowly and get it to where you want it.

thats what i would do. i have a couple of college degrees to back what i am saying up as well as a few entrepreneurship experiences that i learned from.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by thetoastinator

Edit: and as to the plexiglass will break, I am actually curious as to how durable mine will be now. I guess Ill gig with it for a while and see if it breaks! Its not a hard thing to re-drill and I would most likely use Lexan then afterwards

its always good to do the testing on your board to see the life of the plexiglass, but you gotta think of a guy like me who is 6'1" and 250lbs jumping on a wah to engage a switch, sometimes its not all that graceful when i do that, that's a decent amount of oomph.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Sputnik1
We are just saying that making a pedal board that can survive an atomic holocaust is just not practical especially when you are going to charge that much for one.

Holocaust is one thing. But we need it survive roadies. they handle equipment significantly worse.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.