When i try to play fast, i notice my fingers(pinky especially) come off the fretboard way too high. I know I would play quicker if i can stop this. How can i work on this without starting my speed from scratch? I've been playing guitar for about 5 years and can shred pretty fast, but i would play much faster if i didnt have this problem. How can i quickly and effectively fix this problem without having to basically relearn how to play guitar?
How fast can you play with your fingers going off the fret-board at the height you wish to achieve? Start there and work your way back up to the desired speed. If you take short-cuts then you will just have to relearn this later. The first time you learned to play, you took a short-cut. This is why you are having to relearn it now.
Watch Freepower's lessons on correct practice and finger independence and remember: the opposite of fretting isn't lifting, it is simply not fretting. Don't lift your fingers from the fretboard, just relax them when you're not using them.

FP's lessons: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=freepower+lesson+UG&aq=f
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You have to start from scratch, however it wont take you 5 years to go back to your full speed..
depending on how much effort you put into it you could be playing faster than you already are in around 1 year..
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
I'm in a band. I still need to practice my speed for the solo's I have. If i do both will it be bad? Or can i work on both- start my practice with keeping my fingers down, then do my solos(with fingers flying) then end with keeping my fingers down?
what I don't get is plenty of famous players fingers fly off the fretboard and its fine?

I think people take technique thing a little too seriously sometimes and just become anal. if your fingers lift a little bit its ok but watch some inanely fast players their fingers fly off too... so im confused whose right. The famous fast player or some dude being anal on a forum.

Actual serious question btw.
Bad technique is bad technique, after thousand of hours of practice you can compensate for it, it wont matter that much but those will be thousand of hours to just compensate when you could be focusing on just improving.

Vais pinky sticks out when he plays.. Hendrix did put his thumb on the neck.. it didnt matter , who am i to say they have bad technique.. no one, but it is actually not "classical" technique.

dsomma:
Practice everything with your fingers down, but when your in your band setting or jamming you can allow yourself to ignore such things.. you want to sound good when you are with your band so if it means to initially go back to your old habits so be it dont worry at first.. just dont make it a habit.. replace them gradually
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Slashiepie
Bad technique is bad technique, after thousand of hours of practice you can compensate for it, it wont matter that much but those will be thousand of hours to just compensate when you could be focusing on just improving.

Vais pinky sticks out when he plays.. Hendrix did put his thumb on the neck.. it didnt matter , who am i to say they have bad technique.. no one, but it is actually not "classical" technique.

dsomma:
Practice everything with your fingers down, but when your in your band setting or jamming you can allow yourself to ignore such things.. you want to sound good when you are with your band so if it means to initially go back to your old habits so be it dont worry at first.. just dont make it a habit.. replace them gradually

My pinky flies off I won't be stopping it it just happens I did try but it just felt so awkward. However i am very anal about my technique myself. Sometimes maybe too much so hence my question.

Since this thread i sat and thought "oh do my fingers fly off the fretboard too much and I was aiming for like 5mm at most off maybe overkill.
It takes some time.

For one, follow the link Zaphod shared. Specifically watch that first video on the list.

Also, here's a past thread you can check out: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409642
Quote by Captshiznit
My pinky flies off I won't be stopping it it just happens I did try but it just felt so awkward. However i am very anal about my technique myself. Sometimes maybe too much so hence my question.

Since this thread i sat and thought "oh do my fingers fly off the fretboard too much and I was aiming for like 5mm at most off maybe overkill.

Again: trying to reduce your finger movement is almost certain to be counter-productive, you should be looking to just be relaxing your fingers when you're not using them.

Why should you not try and do that? The more relaxed you are the easier something is to do, the easier something is to do the more prepared you will be to do it in strenuous situations (on stage) and the more prepared you will be to build on that leading to more advanced technique which will generally allow you more musical freedom.

Again: why would you not want to improve your technique?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I checked out Zaphod's video out of interest, and it reminded me - so I know the general principle is to relax fingers you're not using. But - if you're doing an ascending run (let's say 1234 for argument's sake), is it not best to leave your fingers lying there pushing down the string until it's actually necessary to move them? I say this because obviously it significantly reduces the work for the following fingers as the string is already quite far down (it kinda has the effect for the rest of the fingers of a lower action).

I know his video is just exercises so obviously for the exercise, yes, you relax your finger before laying the next one down otherwise you're not correctly developing the independence, but what about for general playing? I sounds minor, I know, I'm just interested.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by llBlackenedll
I checked out Zaphod's video out of interest, and it reminded me - so I know the general principle is to relax fingers you're not using. But - if you're doing an ascending run (let's say 1234 for argument's sake), is it not best to leave your fingers lying there pushing down the string until it's actually necessary to move them? I say this because obviously it significantly reduces the work for the following fingers as the string is already quite far down (it kinda has the effect for the rest of the fingers of a lower action).

I know his video is just exercises so obviously for the exercise, yes, you relax your finger before laying the next one down otherwise you're not correctly developing the independence, but what about for general playing? I sounds minor, I know, I'm just interested.

No, you're creating much much more work for your fretting hand to do and if you're doing larger string jumps then playing that way could very well hinder you as you'd need to do that much more work and movement to get your fingers to the right place.

By the time you're fretting something with your pinky you're creating at least twice as much work for your hand and up to four times as much, that's never going to be offset by having the string a little bit lower to the fretboard.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No, you're creating much much more work for your fretting hand to do and if you're doing larger string jumps then playing that way could very well hinder you as you'd need to do that much more work and movement to get your fingers to the right place.

By the time you're fretting something with your pinky you're creating at least twice as much work for your hand and up to four times as much, that's never going to be offset by having the string a little bit lower to the fretboard.

Oh I didn't mean for if you're moving between strings. Either way I take your point - if you're playing, say, 10-13-17 you don't want your index still sat on the 10 while you're making the stretch for the 17.

I guess what I really mean is - should the previous finger not stay down until the next one is pressing on the following fret? So if you do 8-9-10-11, your index stays on until the middle is pressed down (then it can ease off), then that stays on until your 3rd finger is down etc? I guess that depends on whether you're going for a more legato sound.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by llBlackenedll
Oh I didn't mean for if you're moving between strings. Either way I take your point - if you're playing, say, 10-13-17 you don't want your index still sat on the 10 while you're making the stretch for the 17.

I guess what I really mean is - should the previous finger not stay down until the next one is pressing on the following fret? So if you do 8-9-10-11, your index stays on until the middle is pressed down (then it can ease off), then that stays on until your 3rd finger is down etc? I guess that depends on whether you're going for a more legato sound.

You've answered your own question there

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You've answered your own question there

yeah I kinda realised that once I posted it
what I don't get is plenty of famous players fingers fly off the fretboard and its fine?

I think people take technique thing a little too seriously sometimes and just become anal. if your fingers lift a little bit its ok but watch some inanely fast players their fingers fly off too... so im confused whose right. The famous fast player or some dude being anal on a forum.

Actual serious question btw.

They both are.

It's better to have less flying fingers, but at the end of the day, performance =/= practice. I'm not going to say to Paul Gilbert

"Oh hey Paul, that's some awesome tasty blues rock stuff, but I think your pinky curls a bit too much..."

Because he's playing some ****ing sweet ass music and that's what he should be doing... but you can bet when he aims to improve his technique he works a lot on efficiency of motion.

... and dynamics and timing and tone!

So, obviously better technique is better, but a sense of perspective is best.

It's totally possible, if you put in the work you'll get the results!
I've noticed that with 99% of pro's, their pinky tends to curl up when they are not using it. My guitar tutor noticed that it happened with me and got me working on keeping it next to my ring finger whenever im not using it. 1 month later and it never runs off. Helps massively with economy of motion. If i need to throw in a note with my pinky, it's now always there on standby