I'm looking for an all-tube combo. New, not used. 100w if possible, preferably above 50-60w. Budget is about $1000. I'm looking for something that would get me tone kinda like Rise Against, or maybe the Foo Fighters, but could also do 80's hair metal type stuff. A nice bright clean channel is a must as well.

I was looking at the Marshall MA 100, but I heard it struggles with higher gain, and the fact that it's made in Vietnam rather than England kinda put me off.

I also looked at the H & K Switchblade, still considering that.

The Blackstar HT 100 also looks really good, but it's only a head, so it's out.

Any advice?
Jet City JCA50H would be my suggestion. Pretty much identical to a Soldano SLO except for the transformers. Made in China, but I've spoken to their QC guy personally, you can rely on the build quality. Cleans are pretty Fendery, distortion is pure distilled 80s crunch. Does a good Foo tone, embodies the tone of the eighties. I recommend the 50w version because nobody needs a 100w guitar amp ever. It's only about 3db louder, but the 50w is already too loud.

The Marshall's got a pretty good clean channel, but I personally couldn't stand the OD channel on any setting.

The Blackstars are pretty popular around here, worth checking out anyway. I don't really hear the appeal, but I don't hear lots of things.

Don't know a thing about the H & K, can't offer an opinion.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Nov 14, 2011,
I hear the switchblades are badass. My guitar teacher always said that would be the amp he would get if he worked a real job. Especially for the 80s rock stuff, the modeling capabilities could be really great. I'd at least try to play one.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Switchblade is great.

But you might also want to check out a used Mesa Dual Rec, particularly for Foo Fighters.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
JCM800 for Rise and the eighties stuff.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by AeolianSeventh

The Blackstars are pretty popular around here

If you mean the forum... no.
For some reason they are popular in the real life even if they are stinky Prius's in disguise.
Jet city ftw btw
Quote by coolstoryangus
If you mean the forum... no.
For some reason they are popular in the real life even if they are stinky Prius's in disguise.
Jet city ftw btw

That was about half sarcasm. It seems like every "What amp?" thread starts with "So I've been looking at the Blackstar HT50..."
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.